App to close all running programs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom3holer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. tom3holer

tom3holer New Member

Hi,

New here and also new to the iPhone. Have had it 3 weeks now and feel quite comfortablw with it. I would like to know if there is a an App that will close al the running apps? I notice, when I remember, that sometimes I have a LOT of apps still running and would like to be able to close them all without having to access the double click area,not sure what the actual name is, and close each one separately.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tom

2. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Huh, what iPhone do you have and how long have you had it. Sounds like you're looking for a task manager.
    I don't think any of the 4 or 5 current mobile OS's actually need such a function any longer.

Double click the home button, long hold any icon to get them wiggling with the minus badge, and pick that apps you want to close/release.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I think he's looking for one to close them all at once.

4. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

I think he wants one app to shut down all background running apps. You have to jailbreak to get an app that does that.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Right, my bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

6. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

As far as I know there is not one available. You have to do it manually. If you jailbreak your phone(one of the big reasons I do) then there are setting you can have to allow you to remove all apps running in the background. But has to be jail broke at this point to do that.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Rebooting is the only way to close them all on a stock phone. It takes less than a minute and I recommend doing it daily to keep the phone running optimally. The apps will still appear in the task switcher, but they are not running or using any resources after the reboot.

With the exception of turn by turn navigation apps like Navigon and music streaming apps like Pandora, closing the apps in the task switching bar individually by tapping the red circle with the - sign is not necessary. Just try to ignore them and think of it more as a quick task switcher than a multitasking dock. The apps aren't really running; the recently used ones are in a frozen state and the others are completely closed. They don't use a significant amount of CPU power or battery, but they do use a small amount of RAM. However, iOS manages its own memory very well and you don't need to worry about trying to manage it yourself.

8. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

wow good info. I did not know that. I was always under the impression that if they were in the multitasking bar that they were somehow running and would cause significant battery drain. So you don't close your out all the time when your done with them? I usually leave them running until I know I'm done with the phone for a little while then I sit there and close them out individually. Until the jailbreak comes then I always use remove background.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

With the exception of Navigon, the only time I close apps in the task switcher is when I am experiencing a problem with an app and and want to fully restart it. I make a habit of rebooting daily.

10. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

very good to know. Thank you very much. I will pass this along to RoofMonkey unless he already read it. I know he will be interested also. I try to do a reboot everyday as well. I have found myself not doing it recently though with the new phone. I'm so use to having SBSETTINGS which is how I did it before. Guess I'll have to start doing it again. I am definitely going to try to leave things running and see how it works. Thank you again.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

you might want to try killing what you don't need if you're still having battery issues. Mine is way better now that I do that.

12. Willsrx

Willsrx Member
    Bronze

I wonder if using the free memory option on the AppStore app system status is the equivalent to rebooting to free up memory. I use this often when I notice the memory to be low on my 4s. I still recommend rebooting daily however but I'd rather not reboot just to free up some memory.

13. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

that's why I had always done it in the past. I thought that it was multitasking and they were for the most part always running so in a since the more running the faster it would smoke your battery. I never got the 4s battery bug but I also close them out all the time.

14. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't heard of that AppStore option yet?

15. Willsrx

Willsrx Member
    Bronze

It's actually an app called "System Status"

I attached some screen shots of the app in action. First one with memory low and the next showing memory free'd up after hitting refresh on top right.

Attached Files:

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My 4S battery has been fine since I updated to 5.0.1. This is the same process that I have used for a year and a half on my iPhone 4, and my battery was fine on it. I'm a firm believer that force quitting all of those apps all the time isn't necessary for good battery life.

17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Day-um! That freed up a ton of memory. Downloading now...

18. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

oh, if it's fine forget it lol
    I thought you still had those horrible numbers.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nope, 5.0.1 fixed it for me. :)

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

mine did nothing to it unless I keep all apps closed, I get that extra hour that way. If I don't I'm back to 4 1/2. Is it all in my head? Probably lol