Apple Acknowledges Graphics Glitch With Latest Notebooks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
interesting. I haven't experienced anything like that with mine. Of course, i don't use safari... i'll try viewing some quicktime movies on Apple.com, i guess...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i've been watching the ~20 min iPhone demo at Apple.com without any problems. weird.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Touch wood, no issues on mine yet either. I use Safari sometimes, but Firefox a whole lot more.

acosmichippo - Which browser do you use? Have you tried the new Firefox 3 beta yet?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i use firefox. haven't tried the beta yet. have you?

the only thing i use safari for is to create webclips, which is just genius, imo.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, i use firefox. haven't tried the beta yet. have you?

the only thing i use safari for is to create webclips, which is just genius, imo.
Beta = yes, and love it. It is *much* faster than 2.x and has some slightly nicer little UI tweaks. Best thing = you don't have to ditch 2.x in order to try it. Just don't stick its folder in /Applications - place it somewhere else, like desktop and rename it to something like FirefoxBeta. Really good stuff - I never use 2.x anymore ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
awesome, i'll try it out now... will it import bookmarks and stuff?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
awesome, i'll try it out now... will it import bookmarks and stuff?
Yeah, it's been a couple weeks but I think that part was effortless, think it grabbed my bookmarks and bookmark toolbar items without any aggro. Add-ons and extensions are fewer than for 2.0, but I've been trimming nearly all of those out anyway ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it's pretty sweet, for sure. i really dig the new skin... much more "mac". the bookmarks switched over without a problem... as i figured they would.

and you're right, it does seem to be rendering pages much quicker.

mozilla ftw.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, it's pretty sweet, for sure. i really dig the new skin... much more "mac". the bookmarks switched over without a problem... as i figured they would.

and you're right, it does seem to be rendering pages much quicker.

mozilla ftw.
I'm loving it - had been using Flock quite a bit before, for its little 'social' bits and for speed - but this new version has kicked that to the curb ....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i didn't realize it would be so much better. i kinda just assumed it couldn't get much better... at least until the full version is released.

thanks for encouraging me to try it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No worries - glad you're liking it. I had the same sort of feelings about it, in fact was really going off Firefox with its memory leaks etc. - have not really seen any of that sort of issue with V3 either - definitely Firefox 3 FTW ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, this is unrelated to the problem discussed in that article, but I've noticed something weird with my MBA. When I have the computer plugged in I will put the display up to the brightest setting and I'll put the backlit keypad on the brightest setting as well. However, the screen will dim at weird times and so will the keys so that I have to readjust the display. I don't know if this is a common occurrence or if it's just my MBA. In fact, in typing this the display dimmed twice and so did the keys.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, this is unrelated to the problem discussed in that article, but I've noticed something weird with my MBA. When I have the computer plugged in I will put the display up to the brightest setting and I'll put the backlit keypad on the brightest setting as well. However, the screen will dim at weird times and so will the keys so that I have to readjust the display. I don't know if this is a common occurrence or if it's just my MBA. In fact, in typing this the display dimmed twice and so did the keys.
Does the Air have speakers on each side of the keyboard like the Pro? If I place my hand over the left speaker, I will get the same dimming that you are speaking of on the screen as well as the keypad. The light sensor must in there also. The only thing though, when I remove my hand everything returns to normal. I don't have to do any readjusting so not sure if this is the case with your Air.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
couple things... the keyboard backlight is on a timer, so if you don't use it for a while (depends on how long you have it set for), then it will turn off. To adjust this, go to System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard. it's at the bottom.

i have also noticed that the light sensors on the MBP are VERY sensitive. So much so that if my shadow happens to block a lamp in my room from reaching the light sensor, the screen will dim, and the keyboard will light up. Also, if i am in a low-light environment viewing my dektop (which is mainly black), and i open a maximized finder window, web browser, etc. (which are mainly white), the light sensor will get a sudden spike in light from the LCD screen alone, and dim it slightly.