Apple, AT&T sued over iPhone's visual voice mail

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if these people have patents on these thing, why aren't they making products that use them?

use it or lose it.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
They are a patent holding firm which was formed by the creator of the PDA. Basically a patent holding firm does nothing but file patents so it can eventually sue a large company for using them. It's such a shame but it's done all over. What's even worse is it was filed in the district of Texas where all the stupid lawsuits are basically won (think McDonalds and hot coffee).

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ace-atto...icemail-patents-will-probably-lose-329420.php

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's ludicrous, though not surprising.

it's like domain-name hogs... just lurking to swipe good ones when they expire.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I was not that impressed with VVM

I was not that impressed with Visual Voice Mail...why you ask.
I had been using it for 6 months previously with my skype phone.
Listening to Voicemails in order and having to hit 7, 9, 2, 1 etc to navigate just seems annoying now.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Let it pass.

Apple filed so many patents on the iPhone nobody can do anything about it. This will go as fast as it came.

- John

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
The two patents that Klausner is saying were voilated both state that their "device" is "A telephone answering device coupled to a telephone line for automatically answering incoming telephone calls and storing and retrieving information from the incoming telephone calls"

Maybe the fact that the iPhone is not coupled to a telephone line may be enough to get it ruled out. But then again pouring hot coffee in your own lap should be a sign of stupidity and not a flaw in McDonald's coffee heating process and the court saw that backwards too.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Most companies who file these suits do so only because they know it's cheaper for Apple to settle out of court than to pay lawyer fees. That's the reason most of these companies do this. It's a shame but it's the truth. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple settle out of court just to avoid having to deal with it.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Hate to tell you guys but there are already precedents for this particular lawsuit by Klausner that have already gone in their favor. Apple may fight, but they're going to have a tough time when Klausner has already won this battle in the past for the same exact infringement.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...fringement-lawsuit-with-visual-voicemail.html

And Skype and Vonage are prime examples of why Apple is probably screwed. Vonage has already settled with Klausner.