Apple Automatic Updates Using All My Data?

CTLN1991

Jul 31, 2011
I just purchased an iPhone 3gs with AT&T. I got the 200 MB package for data because I only use my phone really to check and update my social networking sites. I thought it would be enough, but one night, while I was asleep, my phone used 185 MB in one night ! I called AT&T and they told me to turn off push notifications, and that it would stop, so I did. That day, it continued to go up so I turned the 3G off hoping it would stop. But it still goes up so the last time I spoke with someone at AT&T she told me that Apple updates my iPhone and that there is nothign I can do about it. But, I am connected to my WIFI network at my house, non stop, because I am a stay at home mom, so I do not understand why they are charging me my data when I am on my WIFI network and it shouldn't be using data at all. Does anyone else have this problem!? Is it true Apple updates automatically!?

GoalieEd

Bronze
Jul 10, 2010
If the phone goes asleep and isn't plugged in it will switch from wifi to 3G until awaken to "conserve" battery life. No setting to adjust this behavior that I know.

You might try downloading and installing Onavo to help identify the culperate app(s)

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
If the phone goes asleep and isn't plugged in it will switch from wifi to 3G until awaken to "conserve" battery life. No setting to adjust this behavior that I know.

You might try downloading and installing Onavo to help identify the culperate app(s)
Or if downloading something, it will be on wifi. Unless the OP gets a 10,000 notifications from news sites and another 10,000 from social networking sites.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
To answer the OP's question- NO Apple does NOT update your phone automatically, PLUS, even if it did, it wouldn't happen until iOS5 is out, and it's not. Call back AT&T and tell them that something is wrong, that you are NOT using huge amounts of data while sleeping.
That being said, make sure that you do a couple things tonight before going to bed. First, close all apps from the task manager. Second, go into Settings, General, Usage, and clear usage statistics at the bottom. Leave this up and lock the screen with the sleep button and head to bed. When you wake up in the morning, unlock the phone and you will see how much data was sent and received from the phone. With all apps shut down, the best you should see is a couple kb's of data from the phone checking in with the closest tower.