Apple AV cable

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 22, 2007
Help Please,

I have an Apple AV cable that I use for audio and video out on my video ipod. I can not get it to work on my iPhone, do I need an adapter?

All help will be appreciated.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Try switching the RCA jacks in different configurations... perhaps the iPhone jack is different than the iPod jack.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It's supposed to have the same pin-out as the iPod.

Somebody qouted in another thread that video out wasn't supported by hardware, but I remember reading that there was no SIGNAL - not that the hardware itself was absent. It has long been speculated (by people who should know) that video out may be possible via update. Now we know - or at least it's been reported...

Jun 22, 2007
I bought the cable at Circuit City, but it is an Apple brand.

It just goes in the headphone jack. This is the same set up as my Video Ipod and it works just fine. It doesn't play audio or video, just makes popping noises.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I bought the cable at Circuit City, but it is an Apple brand.

It just goes in the headphone jack. This is the same set up as my Video Ipod and it works just fine. It doesn't play audio or video, just makes popping noises.
If it plugs into the headphone jack (3.5mm male plug) it won't play video. You get video through your headphone jack on your iPod? That's new to me. If the cable won't transmit audio, it may be defective. Make sure it is designed to fit ALL THE WAY IN the recessed headphone jack in the iPhone. The iPod jack isn't recessed, so it didn't have to be designed the same way. It sounds like your cable may not be plugged in all the way. Most cables can be modified. Take a sharp tool (x-acto knife or utility knife) and simply trim away the excess plastic around the metal insert part. Go back (up the plug) at least 1/4in. Pull off the "doughnut" shaped plastic you just trimmed off and it should fit. Different cables are designed differently, so use common sense, and your mileage may vary. As far as I know, you CAN'T get video out of the headphone jack, though.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Attachments

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitFire
I know on the ipods you could plug a cable into the headphone jack to get video, but wasn't sure if you could pull video from both locations on the iPhone with the new update.
You need a special Component AV Cable from Apple - $49.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=MB128LL/A

The cable also includes a power adapter and USB connector.

will this cable work with the iPhone?

Im going to the Apple store tonight . in about an hour . the Apple store better have the video cable for my iPhone . what good is the Apple store if i wont have it. that would be stupid and frustrate me if i have to order it an wait 2-3 weeks like the website says .

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Apple nos how to make products .. but there customer service is kinda crappy . -- i went to the Apple store tues. and asked would you have a iPhone video cable. - the guys said " i don't know about that "-- what the crap. the update came out today two days later . he could have told me we are getting it soon or oh ... this will work and hand me an av cable. -- so im going to the Apple store having no idea if they have the cable. and hoping they will have it .

SplitFire

Jul 17, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitFire
I know on the ipods you could plug a cable into the headphone jack to get video, but wasn't sure if you could pull video from both locations on the iPhone with the new update.
You need a special Component AV Cable from Apple - $49.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=MB128LL/A

The cable also includes a power adapter and USB connector.

will this cable work with the iPhone?

Im going to the Apple store tonight . in about an hour . the Apple store better have the video cable for my iPhone . what good is the Apple store if i wont have it. that would be stupid and frustrate me if i have to order it an wait 2-3 weeks like the website says .
Don't know if that will work. I just went to bestbuy a bought a monster brand cable that works for the ipod. It connects to the 30 pin dock connection, but DOES NOT work for the iPhone.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Don't know if that will work. I just went to bestbuy a bought a monster brand cable that works for the ipod. It connects to the 30 pin dock connection, but DOES NOT work for the iPhone.
HMMMMMM.. so in the video if you watchd it . the guy says an av cable will work with the iPhone .-- what cable is he talking about ? can someone please explain . is the a component cable ? is there a dock ? is there a composit or svideo cable? oh my

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
The "old" video cables will NOT work with the iPhone!

Starting with the iPhone, iPod touch, and recently updated iPod Classic, Nano, etc... All of these devices require the NEW Video cable from Apple. NONE of the older cables will work for video out (even though the connector is the same). This is due to a new "smart chip" embedded within the new cables that is necessary.

This has been covered quite a bit on the Apple forums about the iPod touch and the newly released iPods.

SplitFire

Jul 17, 2007

Starting with the iPhone, iPod touch, and recently updated iPod Classic, Nano, etc... All of these devices require the NEW Video cable from Apple. NONE of the older cables will work for video out (even though the connector is the same). This is due to a new "smart chip" embedded within the new cables that is necessary.

This has been covered quite a bit on the Apple forums about the iPod touch and the newly released iPods.
Thanks for the reply. Are these cables only available in Apple stores right now?

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007

I don't think that's true for the iPhone. Why? Because on the new iPods you can't even turn "TV Out" on without it seeing the chip... it's disabled.

I can turn on TV Out on the iPhone with no cable connected. This couldn't have "been covered" for the iPhone since it didn't have TV out until recently and they wouldn't use two different methods to do the same thing in the iPhone and iPod touch. I don't think the iPhone has that restriction.

It may still require the new cable anyway due to how it wired. Don't know.

Does anyone know for sure how that cable hooks up to the iPhone? Bottom or top? Remember, the iPhone plug is 3 rings and a tip so I suppose it could transmit video out to a cable.

I ordered the component A/V cable from Apple with my credit.

The A/V cables in the Apple store are $49. The "expensive cables" people talk about with the smart chip are also $49. Are they one and the same? I don't know. It's a 2 week wait for it so it must be the one. If I were you I'd order it now since they will probably get way behind from people with iPhones ordering them. Every single iPhone owner is going to want one. Order it now.

I think the one they're selling now (well. taking orders for) will work with both the old and the new devices. If the one in the mall Apple store isn't $49 it's not the one.