Apple Becoming Synonymous With Petty

Should iPods Have A Wall Charger Included in The Box???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I am not having a good "Apple" day today. I took my fifteen year old daughter to The Apple Store today to buy a 32GB iPod Touch. She was so happy all day awaiting our trip to The Apple Store.

This is what happened. We told the salesperson what we came for he left for a moment then appeared with the Touch. I thought to myself the case the iPod Touch was in looks kind of small to accommodate the fat wall charger that is usually shipped with iPods. I mentioned to the salesman oh Apple must have reduced the foot print of the wall charger. He informed me that there was no wall charger just a USB cord. I then said let me understand this correctly. I am getting ready to give Apple 399.99 (plus tax) for an iPod and Apple can't even include a probably less than a dollar (made in China) wall charger? The very helpful salesman then told me I could purchase one for 29.99. I said may I have a moment to confer with my daughter.

I pulled my daughter to the side and asked her what she felt about the whole situation. She told me it was no big deal and she just wanted the iPod but she did think it was a bit crazy that one wasn't included. I said to her you might as well learn right now never ever want something so bad that you will go for anything to get it. Thirty dollars is not the issue for me I could have easily paid it. I just felt like I was being bent over and I wasn't going to stand for it.

I returned to the salesman and gave him the chance to give me a wall charger for free. He said he couldn't do it he had to follow store policy (which I understood he was just an employee). I thanked him for his help and told him Apple would not be getting our 399.99 dollars nor possibly anymore of my dollars and walked out. My daughter took it a lot better than I thought she would. She understands that I stand firm in what I believe in.

We talked on the way home and she said dad I never want another Apple product if they have to be so petty and take advantage of people. She said what about people who have less than us and have to save a long time to get their dream Apple product then Apple takes advantage of them. I told her that this is the world we now live in where greed has surpassed morals. She then said dad I hope I never become that greedy and take advantage of people just to build upon my own wealth. I turned and kissed her forehead told her I love her and that I was sure she would not become part of what's taking place all around us.

We got home and she went to her room. I later stopped into tell her her dinner was ready. I noticed she had taken down all her Apple "stuff". I silently said to myself that's my girl. Mark

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
No offense, but funny this is coming from you considering just a few weeks ago you were upset that Apple was selling its products at walmart. Either they're high end or they're not.

Right now, they're too high for you...but a few weeks ago, you thought they were too high for Walmart and you didn't want people who shopped at walmart to have what you had.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm not going to get into it with you in this thread also. Once again you have misread my writing. I didn't want to say this for fear of being called a snob but since you can't understand (once again) what I wrote. I will make it plain and simple just for you. Thirty dollars is nothing to me I could have paid it no problem. The moral of this story that you missed is first Apple's pettiness and second I felt Apple was just out to make an easy buck and I wasn't going for it!

What about the people that can't afford the extra thirty bucks. Everyone doesn't lug around a laptop just to charge an iPod. Hell if you have to do that you might as well just plug your headphones into your laptop access iTunes and bypass the iPod all together. That's what this is about standing on my principals not any freaking thirty dollars. Mark

P.S. I also want my daughter to understand that you must stand up for what you believe in. Also that just because you have money doesn't mean you have to just throw it away.

Other people may not say anything about all the free money they give companies for nothing but I do. I was taught by two ruthless Jewish businesssmen and they taught me well.

I also DO NOT pay phone activation charges (I'm going to pay you to create a bill for myself?)

Unexplainable service or administrative fees

Restocking fees

Buy anything extra that I think should have came in the box in the first place.

And etc..

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
And once again, I didn't miss what you were saying. You seem to feel I'm reading impaired, and I'm most definitely not.

But my mom has an ipod touch, thats a few months old, and she didn't have to buy a wall charger. It came with the USB cable and charger that the iPhone has.

do you think its possible the salesperson you were with didn't know what you meant?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Apple is not the only company who continue to downsize included accessories. This happens across the board. While I understand your decision not to give them $400, I wouldn't stop purchasing Apple products because of it. If you did that, you'll find the list of companies growing.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
I disagree with everyone's posts above and completely agree with you. If we all stood up and said "SCREW YOU" to everyone who tried to nickel-and-dime us we could force companies to provide us more value at the expense of their bottom line and not ours. I also commend you on the lesson you are teaching your daughter. Let's not bring another mindless consumber into the world. I am surprised she took it so well though. Pretty special daughter you have there. Keep up the good work.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I disagree with everyone's posts above and completely agree with you. If we all stood up and said "SCREW YOU" to everyone who tried to nickel-and-dime us we could force companies to provide us more value at the expense of their bottom line and not ours. I also commend you on the lesson you are teaching your daughter. Let's not bring another mindless consumber into the world. I am surprised she took it so well though. Pretty special daughter you have there. Keep up the good work.
I wasn't justifying what they do...just noting that it's happening with more and more companies looking to cut costs (ie. improve profit margins). If I thought the savings were being passed to the consumer, then it would be a good thing, but I doubt it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Apple is not the only company who continue to downsize included accessories. This happens across the board. While I understand your decision not to give them $400, I wouldn't stop purchasing Apple products because of it. If you did that, you'll find the list of companies growing.
Yes Chris you are correct. The reason why this is happening is because consumers are allowing it to happen. Look what happened when people banded together to voice their opinion about the sudden price drop of the iPhone. Apple listened and gave back. Believe me if people left the iPod on the shelf because of no wall charger. Apple would give you a charger, case, gift wrap it and send it to your house.

I live by people/companies will only do to you what you allow them to do.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm sure Apple performed studies and found most people don't use the wall charger, and just charge their iPods while connected to their computers. And when you consider the added features of the new iPod, it is not unreasonable to assume they put that $1 for the charger into the Nike+ hardware or speaker...

I just love the way you are teaching your daughter how to make decisions about life experiences. Keep it up. Your story is touching.

I am torn about the actual details of this specific situation. On one hand I firmly believe that every company has the right to absolutely control their products and sell then in whatever manner they see fit. People who don't like it can go get a Zune or any other competitive product. On the other hand, I do see Apple cutting sorners at every turn to make more money, and charging a signiicant upcharge just for their logo. Well, I guess that is their reight to do as well.

The important part of this situation is your daughter is being given very important life lessons on decision making that will benefit her the rest of her life. Kudos to you.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
What really pissed me off is Apple wasn't pulling this type of crap when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. We loyal customers kept them afloat. Now it's like thanks we are where we want to be now screw you. Mark

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
from the famous words of Rodney King.

Much love to rodney. Catch him on the all new celebrity rehab thursdays..

I agree it is pretty petty of them to not include it if they infact don't, but did you make sure the box didn't say incuded? I really don't see them leaving something like this out.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What really pissed me off is Apple wasn't pulling this type of crap when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. We loyal customers kept them afloat. Now it's like thanks we are where we want to be now screw you. Mark
Just of curiosity, what does a Zune ship with? Just another example of how these companies have been involved in a bit of role reversal the past few years?:p

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Answered my own question...

What's Included

• Microsoft Zune MP3 Player with 120GB Hard Drive
  • Earphones
  • Sync cable
  • Owner's manual
Just supports my original point that they are all involved. With the economy the way it's going, perhaps this will change back in the favor of the consumer.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Much love to rodney. Catch him on the all new celebrity rehab thursdays..

I agree it is pretty petty of them to not include it if they infact don't, but did you make sure the box didn't say incuded? I really don't see them leaving something like this out.
they don't. the new nanos don't either.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, at least you have a few weeks before xmas.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
wait.... Apple ships out chargers on phones and computers and monitors and Apple tv and time capsules, but they don't give ANY iPods a charger?