Apple Becoming Synonymous With Petty

Should iPods Have A Wall Charger Included in The Box???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Huh. So you're not wall charging your iPod, huh? And either way you slice it, you NEED to hook it up to computer at some point.. Otherwise, you have no music. And if you're just sycning the one time from a friend (whose music you don't own) - why bother having an iPod?

To me this whole argument/discussion has gone in circles and circles. If you're homeless, you shouldn't have an iPod. If you don't have a computer, you probably don't even know what an iPod is or how to use it.

Bottom line: Wall adapter is not included. Deal with it. Buy it or don't - that's your choice.
Actually a dock charger is a wall charger abeit a more expensive one. So yes I do use a wall charger.

But if you want me to expand, I have have several chargers, bought one for the car, I have the dock that is connected to the home theater system at all times and I have a second set of AV cables/charger that travels with me so I can charge my ipod/iPhone. If it would have come with a charger I would not have bothered buying the second set of av cables but since I would have already had to spend $30 I spent another $19 instead to have the av capability on the road.

Times my ipod or iPhone has been charged on my computer (besides the little charge from the sync) is ZERO.

Secondly you find where I said I was syncing my music for a friend?

If you actually read my thread or the others who stated the same thing. I will put this in bold for you:

Many people rip their cd's to a computer (or have a friend or family member do it for them in the cases of a lot of older people) sync the thing once then it never sees a computer again.

So what you are saying is exactly what I was talking about before. People who just want to carry their music around in an easier skip free environment should be penalized because they don't like to use a computer or don't have one attached to the hip like the rest of us?

Yes the argument is going around in circles but I find it offensive that people think its about money. It is clearly not, I do not and never will consider a charger an accessory.

I just love the one mindedness on this board sometimes, not every one does everything the same way, but if they don't do it your way well then your not worthy of owning the equipment:rolleyes:

Lastly I don't think you are getting the point of the original post, yes people are going to buy one because they have no choice. Its clearly a cost cutting measure (as well as a new revenue source). I have no problem with Apple making a profit even a nice profit, but I think this is just to far.

Apple didn't all of the sudden say hmm no one really uses the wall chargers lets just drop it from the package. If they did why are they still selling wall chargers now if no one uses them?

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
People that don't want to be tied to technolgy shouldn't be buying iPods. It says right on the box, "requires mac or pc".
The box has always said requires a mac or pc why did they include chargers before?

I wont retype my other post about being tied to technology just read one post up.

With that I will say

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE! I enjoyed debating this with you guys but I must be getting on with the Christmas eve stuff.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Actually a dock charger is a wall charger abeit a more expensive one. So yes I do use a wall charger.

But if you want me to expand, I have have several chargers, bought one for the car, I have the dock that is connected to the home theater system at all times and I have a second set of AV cables/charger that travels with me so I can charge my ipod/iPhone. If it would have come with a charger I would not have bothered buying the second set of av cables but since I would have already had to spend $30 I spent another $19 instead to have the av capability on the road.

Times my ipod or iPhone has been charged on my computer (besides the little charge from the sync) is ZERO.

If you actually read my thread or the others who stated the same thing. I will put this in bold for you:

Many people rip their cd's to a computer (or have a friend or family member do it for them in the cases of a lot of older people) sync the thing once then it never sees a computer again.

So what you are saying is exactly what I was talking about before. People who just want to carry their music around in an easier skip free environment should be penalized because they don't like to use a computer or don't have one attached to the hip like the rest of us?

Yes the argument is going around in circles but I find it offensive that people think its about money. It is clearly not, I do not and never will consider a charger an accessory.

I just love the one mindedness on this board sometimes, not every one does everything the same way, but if they don't do it your way well then your not worthy of owning the equipment:rolleyes:

Lastly I don't think you are getting the point of the original post, yes people are going to buy one because they have no choice. Its clearly a cost cutting measure (as well as a new revenue source). I have no problem with Apple making a profit even a nice profit, but I think this is just to far.

Apple didn't all of the sudden say hmm no one really uses the wall chargers lets just drop it from the package. If they did why are they still selling wall chargers now if no one uses them?
Sigh. I've actually read EVERY SINGLE post in this thread. I've not glossed over any posts. If you go back and read my ORIGINAL post, you'll see my viewpoint.

And a dock charger is not a wall charger. There's 2 pieces with 1 piece being shared. The iPod cord is what is supplied. A dock is an accessory - so there's your two pieces. For the wall, you need a wall adapter and an iPod cord - 2 pieces.

I really hate when people come in and spew up crap that's already been said in a thread that's gone in circles. I'm done with this crap. People can't wrap their head's around the simple concept that a wall adapter is an accessory - which has been the case for ANY iPod I've EVER owned. What makes the iPod Touch different? It's still an iPod.

Do people call Apple and ***** because they didn't get a wall adapter for their shuffle? So for $50 they should get the shuffle AND a wall adapter?

If you break out the cost - when you buy a wall adapter, it comes with an iPod cord - for $29. If you buy the cord by itself it's $19. So really the wall adapter is $10 - which you can buy from a third party for less than $30 or $10.

Enjoy arguing I'm done. But I would recommend reading all the posts before telling someone they don't know what they are talking about.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

How is it one-minded to argue a point? I'm not condemning you for wanting a charger. Just offering an explanation as to why I don't think it's necessary.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The box has always said requires a mac or pc why did they include chargers before?

I wont retype my other post about being tied to technology just read one post up.

With that I will say

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE! I enjoyed debating this with you guys but I must be getting on with the Christmas eve stuff.
I really like this poster...Mark

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007

And a dock charger is not a wall charger. There's 2 pieces with 1 piece being shared. The iPod cord is what is supplied. A dock is an accessory - so there's your two pieces. For the wall, you need a wall adapter and an iPod cord - 2 pieces.
Actually its 3 pieces if you buy the universal dock which I also have.

The cord that comes with the av cables has a power brick, that brick can be used with the original usb cable that came with the ipod. That was how it was in the past. The charger was never a complete one piece item, it consisted of (back then) a firewire cable and brick. You could use the firewire cable for both charging and syncing.

I really hate when people come in and spew up crap that's already been said in a thread that's gone in circles. I'm done with this crap. People can't wrap their head's around the simple concept that a wall adapter is an accessory - which has been the case for ANY iPod I've EVER owned. What makes the iPod Touch different? It's still an iPod.
You have obviously never owned an ipod before generation 5 then. Generations 1-4 all came with a brick charger included.

Btw I did read your posts. My point is just because they decided to change the policy and not include them I don't have to agree.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
How is it one-minded to argue a point? I'm not condemning you for wanting a charger. Just offering an explanation as to why I don't think it's necessary.

I completely accept your reasoning of why you don't think its necessary. I just don't think its right that you were basically telling people they should not own an ipod if they don't want to be tied to technology.

I am pretty sure Apple would really miss all of those dollars spent by people who are not really tied to technology.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Looking at the current percentages listed in the above poll. It looks as though forum members are equally divided regarding the charger issue. Mark

P.S. Of course I'm with the stop taking things away from me crowd.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I completely accept your reasoning of why you don't think its necessary. I just don't think its right that you were basically telling people they should not own an ipod if they don't want to be tied to technology.

I am pretty sure Apple would really miss all of those dollars spent by people who are not really tied to technology.
My point with that statement is that it seems hypocritical to me to own an iPod and want to claim independence from technology. Apple *is* technology.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Lets give a regular example. You go on a long flight for vacation, you use the ipod to watch a movie. Maybe play a few games. You land now your ipod is low or close to dead (say a 5 hour flight you watching 2 movies).

You don't own a laptop and are gone for a week on vacation, so does that mean you should run around trying to find a computer to plug into?

I love Apple, but its blatant cost cutting.
Excellent EXCELLENT EXCELLENT point! This should be all you need to say to Apple to get your deserved charger.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
EXACTLY! But can you blame them? After all that is Apple's modus operandi. Apple expects you to do things their way. Notice the lack of MMS, Video recording, A2DP, and any sort of customization on the iPhone. Individualism is a no no for an Apple fanboy.

paul_h

Nov 22, 2008
I just got my mom an ipod touch not knowing that there would be no charger in the box. Not a very considerate move on their part...some people use usb 1 still.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I just got my mom an ipod touch not knowing that there would be no charger in the box. Not a very considerate move on their part...some people use usb 1 still.
Please call Apple and let them know how you feel. I would say with any other company that it might change their minds. Apple seems to ignore what their customers need and want. It's either Apple's way or no way but it still couldn't hurt to voice your opinion. Mark

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
EXACTLY! But can you blame them? After all that is Apple's modus operandi. Apple expects you to do things their way. Notice the lack of MMS, Video recording, A2DP, and any sort of customization on the iPhone. Individualism is a no no for an Apple fanboy.
Oh my god. How can you extrapolate that anyone is an Apple fanboy because they don't think an ac adapter is a necessary accessory for an iPod? This discussion has nothing to do with their policies regarding mms or copy and paste. In fact, I'm sure everyone has a gripe with Apple on some product they own. Does that make them petty? I don't think so.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That sucks, but it does say clearly on the box that a pc or mac with USB 2.0 is required.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
My point with that statement is that it seems hypocritical to me to own an iPod and want to claim independence from technology. Apple *is* technology.

It's not really hypocritical, a lot of people don't let gadgets run their lives, they want them when they need them. If doing that is hypcritical, then isn't it hypocritical to own a iPhone b/c you want a phone,internet browser and ipod without being tied to carrying 3 separate devices?

**jeez, did I use "hypocritical" in that statement enough? LOL**