Apple Being Sued Based on Greenpeace iPhone Report

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 30, 2007
Apple Being Sued Based on Greenpeace iPhone Report

Greenpeace iPhone tests reveal chemicals that include "phthalates" in the vinyl plastic earphone wiring at levels that are prohibited by the EU.

Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

The Center for Environmental Health on Monday said that it is suing Apple based on the report by environmental group Greenpeace. The report, released earlier today, found hazardous materials in Apple's iPhone.
The Greenpeace tests revealed chemicals that included "phthalates" in the vinyl plastic earphone wiring at levels that are prohibited in young children's toys in San Francisco and the European Union (EU).
Under California's Proposition 65 law, products that can expose consumers to phthaltes or other chemicals that are reproductive toxins or carcinogens must carry a warning label, according to the Center for Environmental Health.
"There is no reason to have these potentially hazardous chemicals in iPhones" said Michael Green, Executive Director of Center for Environmental Health. "We expect Apple to reformulate their products to make them safer from cradle to grave, so they don't pose a threat to consumers, workers or the environment."
Apple representatives were not immediately available for comment on the lawsuit or the Greenpeace report.
The Center for Environmental Health wants Apple to clearly label the iPhone saying that it contains phthaltes, but ultimately it wants the company to get rid of them altogether.
"In general what we try to do is encourage the manufacturers through a negotiated settlement to reduce the use of these chemicals," Caroline Cox, a spokeswoman for the Center for Environmental Health, told Macworld. "That would be our goal with Apple."
Cox said her organization has had no communication with Apple yet.
Update: Added comment from the Center for Environmental Health. 3:58 pm 10/15/07.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
what's next? Toliet paper gives you cancer? We need to round these people up and put them on their own island of stupidity.... yes sure the vinyl may be banned for childrens toys but a 600$ phone is not a toy for a 3 year old.... And besides that they are headphones not small prices of vinyl that look like candy... I seriously doubt that without ingesting the material somehow that there would be any adverse effects

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Can anyone help me understand what part of the earpiece is the iPhone?

No, really, I want to know...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Now now. I don't think youur god would approve of that...
He certainly doesn't approve of your spelling, that's for sure.... When you finally get to highschool, you might be educated enough to have this discussion with me but until then, just listen to your mommy and daddy or they might take that iPhone away from you that they paid for....;)

Jul 24, 2007
I'm sure I know more about most religions than most people know about their own...

I think the suit is referring to the headphones. I have no problem with this lawsuit if its true. Why should Apple get to defy laws enacted for the safety of everyone? I do however believe the only restitution should be to recall the headphones and offer "legal" replacements.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I'm sure I know more about most religions than most people know about their own...

I think the suit is referring to the headphones. I have no problem with this lawsuit if its true. Why should Apple get to defy laws enacted for the safety of everyone? I do however believe the only restitution should be to recall the headphones and offer "legal" replacements.
I totally agree with you about the lawsuit....

But to say that you know more about most religions than most people know about their own is the SECOND MOST STUUUPIDEST THING I have ever heard in my life.... But you're proberly just trying to make a point...that's cool... Just don't bash my church, please, and I'll refrain from bashing you San Francisco gays...

Itrekman

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
This people just need a life! This country is full of lawyers and would love to get a quick buck for something that is stupid like this.

Jul 24, 2007
I've taking five religion courses during my 5 year course through the University of Dayton. Im sure theres a little more substance to that.

And furthermore, i wasn't bashing your church. I was only suggesting that maybe it should, just as everything should. That is how things evolve.

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I've taking five religion courses during my 5 year course through the University of Dayton. Im sure theres a little more substance to that.

And furthermore, i wasn't bashing your church. I was only suggesting that maybe it should, just as everything should. That is how things evolve.

wow! 5 courses? You must be an expert! rofl what a joke.

Jul 24, 2007
I never claimed to be anexpert. Just to have more of an understanding than people that think going to Sunday school is actually learning. I'm not being a dick. I think I should be able to say what I think like anybody else. Even if its not the popular choice of the day.

Jul 24, 2007
I don't really want to turn this thread into a church debate. Can we please get back to the topic at hand?

Does anyone know how much they are suing for?