Apple Bluetooth Headset Discussion

Jun 28, 2007
Do you also find the Apple earbuds to be comfortable?
I'm trying to gauge how the fit might be for someone who does not likw the fit of the earbuds.
Would you say it's comparable or different?
I think I felt the same. I picked the Apple Bluetooth up today on a fluke at the Apple Store. The new ear buds always fall out of my ears, so I was less that positive about this one. At first the boom part kept dropping down. That was because I tried it without the earpiece cover. For me the difference was the padding. The headset stays in my ear, and doesn't fall out, doesn't even move. I have just returned the Jawbone. I know the sound is better on that unit, but for me comparing the two, Apple wins hands down.

GizmoDVD

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I think I felt the same. I picked the Apple Bluetooth up today on a fluke at the Apple Store. The new ear buds always fall out of my ears, so I was less that positive about this one. At first the boom part kept dropping down. That was because I tried it without the earpiece cover. For me the difference was the padding. The headset stays in my ear, and doesn't fall out, doesn't even move. I have just returned the Jawbone. I know the sound is better on that unit, but for me comparing the two, Apple wins hands down.
Hopefully the Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley location will have them tomorrow. Looking forward to getting mine!

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Love It

I was VERY lucky and picked up the last one at the Las Vegas Apple store. There was almost a fight over it! But the Doc is SO fast on the draw ha ha ha. Anyway, in my opinion it is smaller than what I've seen and the quality is better than what I expected, knowing that it did not have noise-canceling features. It fits snugly in MY ear and I've shaken my head violently trying to shake it off with no avail. I think I might of hurt myself, but it stayed on without it even shifting. People's ears are different, and this will not fit everybody. I'm just glad it fits mine! Thumbs up so far, well worth the $129.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
OK, just got one tonight and have not had time to really put it to use, but the one thing that I really want to let everyone know is that it totally feels like you have nothing in your ear, and it does not come loose easily.

I absolutely dislike the stock Apple earbuds because they constantly come loose. This bluetooth headset is so comfortable that it does not feel like you're wearing anything. It's very light.

Stays in place like nobody's businesss. I put it in and shook my head and it did not move, at least that I could tell.

I made one call, got voicemail. Volume is much louder than the handset speaker. So I don't know how I sounded on the other end.

I will post more later when I have a chance to use it more, but wanted to let those who have trouble with the Apple headset staying in place know that this is totally different. It has a totally different feel.

This thing is pretty cool though. Small, no obnoxious glowing LED, and the fact that as you're charging, a pic of the headset shows above the battery on the iPhone, showing the charge status of the headset as well.

So far, so good.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
I have been a bluetooth headset user for years. The biggest problem I have with all the headsets I have used is 1. range and 2. sound quality.

So far I have purchased a moto 820, 850, h700, a plantronics 655, and a jawbone. The motos suffered from poor range and sound quality, however the h700 was the best of the bunch. The plantronics had better sound quality but the fit was uncomfortable for an in-ear, non-ear loop headset and the battery was terrible. I bought the plantronics for the size but the quality marred its overall rating for me.

I guess I look at the Apple being very similar to the plantronics, however i have not tried the Apple headset.

The jawbone is the first headset I have used that actually works. People don't know I am on a headset and they don't keep asking me to repeat myself. There is also NO crackling associated with this headset that I have found with all other headsets.

I guess I am over the cool looking part of bt and just want something that works flawlessly like it is supposed to. I paid 93 dollars for my jawbone, with tax in NY it was 102. This was sealed new from cingular at a local retailer 6ave electronics. They tried to charge me 140 with tax when I told them that their website said 93. They gave it to me for that price. Hope this helps people who are on the fence about jawbone vs. Apple headset.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I looked but didn't find an answer...Are the local AT&T stores that carried the iPhone carrying the Apple BT as well? The nearest Apple store for me is 3 hours away and the shipping date for online is AUGUST 28, 2007. Ouch!

frank85

Jul 9, 2007
Apple just shipped mine yesterday they originally had a shipping date of August 10th :)

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Okay it arrived today. First impressions:

1. It's snug, yes, but the end of the headset (where the on/off button is) scratches my ear unless I angle the headset about 45 degrees.
2. There's static on every call though it is intermittent, even though I have the phone placed on my hip pocket on the same side as the headset.
3. There is a significant hiss from the headset while on a call, that is separate from the hiss inherent in the phone signal itself.

So far I'm not thrilled with it. I'm going to continue to evaluate it over the weekend and decide whether to keep it or not. I don't know at this point whether an exchange will fix the problems I am finding.

Edited to add: Okay it's going back. Terrible interference/stutturing on EVERY call. Cannot hear the other person at times. Switched to my earbuds in the middle of the call and was amazed at the significant improvement of volume and clarity, even with only one earbud in. I haven't decided whether to exchange it or return it. I really wanted to like it.

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
Anyone have one for sale?

Been looking everywhere and couldn't find any... :(

PM me if you got one.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
my dad got it and absolutely loves it.. i would def get one if i used headsets

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
actually, at $51, the Apple bt headset is a bargain. Especially since its designed specifically for iPhone. Let's break it down:
$129 for the "iPhone bt headset"
-$49 for the dual dock
-$29 for the travel cable
=$51 for the actual headset
I'm quite happy with mine so far, especially since iPhone itself didn't come with an actual phone headset. I also love the fact that its the newer in-ear style and doesn't require the dorky looking over the ear loop! That was the killer for me with the jawbone.
I don't think that $51 is the true cost, since at that price you get no way to charge the headset. So $70 is a more accurate cost for the headset and the travel cable.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I've been wanting to upgrade phone for a long time and last Thanksgiving at the Early Bird sale at Staples I picked up a Plantronics 340 Earpiece. I knew nothing about it but the price was right and I knew I'd want one when I ever got a bluetooth phone.

So I've been hunting that sucker since iDay around the office here and it finally turned up yesterday.

Dang if I didn't luck into a good purchase cause it works great, feels great on the ear and now I see gets good reviews.

Only one day so far but very pleased for now. Finally I have something volume related with the iPhone that I cannot run at full volume!

Looking around I see they are in the 40-60 buck range. I know I paid less than that.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
i picked my bluetooth up today . i like it so far . call quality has been good people say i sound good

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
Just placed an order on Apple store this afternoon and it is already in 'prepared for shipment' status. :)

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
well i made a call in my car on the freeway with the windows up and it was very faint . i hate having to turn it all the way up and wish and hope i can hear something. if i cant hear it good in the car then its going back.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
ok second test call was made without the foam eairpiece cover in the car and it was so loud i had to turn it down. but this was with 2 different callers.

Jun 6, 2007
Defective unit

Ordered one from Apple store a couple of weeks ago. Shipped out end of last week by FedEx straight from china (China-->Hong Kong-->Anchorage-->me).

Sound quality on the other end is HORRIBLE! They beg me go go to the handset. Also, lots of static.

Just called Apple and was told their were some "issues" with some of the units and they set up an exchange with no problems.

Anyone else receive a defective unit?