Apple Care for iPhone available

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't believe there is an affiliation. Plus, those guys at APS have mentioned EIP in their podcasts.;)

So, basically you get two years of tech support free. One year of hardware repair coverage free. $69 gets you the 2nd year of hardware coverage.

Not bad...

-Chris

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
It's not my website. It was merely a link to the information I was asserting. I didn't realize that providing links to things was against rules.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You did not voilate the rules. It's only a voilation if it were your site. Thanks for sharing the information. In fact, I'm linking to APS on the story I'm running on the homepage.

-Chris

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I don't think it's worth it if you plan on upgrading to iPhone v2, which I think will come out in a year. If you plan on keeping it for 2 yrs no matter what then I would get it. Also remember that you have up to a year to get it and I don't think it affects your one year warranty at all so I would wait regardless if that's true (I haven't read it over so correct me if i'm wrong)

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I don't think it's worth it if you plan on upgrading to iPhone v2, which I think will come out in a year. If you plan on keeping it for 2 yrs no matter what then I would get it. Also remember that you have up to a year to get it and I don't think it affects your one year warranty at all so I would wait regardless if that's true (I haven't read it over so correct me if i'm wrong)
You are correct. If you believe version 2 will be out within a year from the date you bought your iPhone, there is no reason to buy Applecare at this point as it would have no effect on your current warranty.

I don't personally believe there will be a new device introduced within a year, but I'm still going to wait until near the end of my current warranty before purchasing Applecare for my iPhone.

Lastly, while it's not listed on their site yet, http://www.lacomputercompany.com has the best Applecare package prices I've seen.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Do I have this right?

This service provides nothing more than an extra year on the warranty, and an extra year of tech support?

It doesn't cover accidental damage, such as dropping and whatnot?

If true, for nearly $6 a month it doesn't seem worth it (you are really only buying one year). And for the life of me I don't see why you'd order it now... Yes I do, they actually extend your contract for another two years from when you start this service! Is that true too?

I'd rather some sort of insurance, even with a deductible, that does cover it if lost or stolen, or damaged by accident (like I have with Sprint). Anyone know where to get that? (I'm going to see if I can do something with my homeowners policy.)

--
Mike

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
For those of you who purchased your iPhone using an American Express Card, you may get a free 1 year extension on the manufacturers warranty. I used my Blue card, and I know that I got a one year extension for free, making the Applecare pointless. The Amex warranty tends to be good, when I had my battery for my laptop fail, they replaced the battery...and my other family members have had similar experiences. I also know this applies to my Amex gold card. So its worth checking for people who used an Amex, before purchasing the Applecare plan.

Hope this helps

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For those of you who purchased your iPhone using an American Express Card, you may get a free 1 year extension on the manufacturers warranty. I used my Blue card, and I know that I got a one year extension for free, making the Applecare pointless. The Amex warranty tends to be good, when I had my battery for my laptop fail, they replaced the battery...and my other family members have had similar experiences. I also know this applies to my Amex gold card. So its worth checking for people who used an Amex, before purchasing the Applecare plan.

Hope this helps
yes I know about the Amex thing, but it's good to be reminded.

When I bought my iPhone I wasn't sure I was going to use it for businesss, so neglected to use my Amex gold card (at the time I wasn't sure I was even going to activate it with AT&T). I could have used on of my Amex cards but wasn't sure the extend-warranty thing applied to them.

Well now I wish I did use my Amex card. I bought it at an AT&T store... I wonder if I can return it, but not really return it, just change CCs--without getting hit with that restocking fee.

--
Mike

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
yes I know about the Amex thing, but it's good to be reminded.

When I bought my iPhone I wasn't sure I was going to use it for businesss, so neglected to use my Amex gold card (at the time I wasn't sure I was even going to activate it with AT&T). I could have used on of my Amex cards but wasn't sure the extend-warranty thing applied to them.

Well now I wish I did use my Amex card. I bought it at an AT&T store... I wonder if I can return it, but not really return it, just change CCs--without getting hit with that restocking fee.

--
Mike
Ya, the Amex thing applies to almost anything, so long as it is under $10,000....plus you have 90 days of damage/theft/accidental loss coverage from the date of purchase....and they will take it as a return for up to 90 days!

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Yes, it is just an extension of the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover any type of accidental damage, theft, etc.

Purchasing Applecare will have no effect on your AT&T contract.

Do I have this right?

This service provides nothing more than an extra year on the warranty, and an extra year of tech support?

It doesn't cover accidental damage, such as dropping and whatnot?

If true, for nearly $6 a month it doesn't seem worth it (you are really only buying one year). And for the life of me I don't see why you'd order it now... Yes I do, they actually extend your contract for another two years from when you start this service! Is that true too?

I'd rather some sort of insurance, even with a deductible, that does cover it if lost or stolen, or damaged by accident (like I have with Sprint). Anyone know where to get that? (I'm going to see if I can do something with my homeowners policy.)

--
Mike

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
It covers your battery if it drops below 50% capacity, if I am reading this correctly:

Apple will, at its option, repair or replace the affected Covered Equipment, if
(i) during the Repair Coverage Period there is a defect in the Covered Equipment’s materials or
workmanship or, (ii) during the Coverage Period, the capacity of the covered iPhone battery to
hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specification,
(after being fully charged and the covered iPhone playing audio or video with all settings reset).

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, it is just an extension of the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover any type of accidental damage, theft, etc.

Purchasing Applecare will have no effect on your AT&T contract.
Got it (I misread it).

But then I don't see why someone would purchase it now, and not right before a year is up. That's not saying I would buy it, ever. Aside from the battery I think most warranty defects would manifest themselves in the first year anyway. And a year from now I suspect there will be after-market battery replacement services available for the same price (without needing to prove your battery holds 50% or less of its original capacity).

Still, if this gives someone more piece of mind, then great.

--
Mike

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
People in AL, CT, NV and WY cannot get Apple Care

I just read this on the Apple Care page on the Apple website:

"Special Instructions for Residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, and Wyoming

Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone to residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming. If you are a resident of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming, please do not order the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. If you submit an order that includes the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, Apple will remove it from your order, notify you about the removal and process the remaining items on your order."

There must be a reason for this but I can't imagine one.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
Probably due to some consumer protection law. I know Apple can't sell Applecare for Macs in Florida for example.

I just read this on the Apple Care page on the Apple website:

"Special Instructions for Residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, and Wyoming

Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone to residents of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming. If you are a resident of Alabama, Connecticut, Nevada, or Wyoming, please do not order the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. If you submit an order that includes the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, Apple will remove it from your order, notify you about the removal and process the remaining items on your order."

There must be a reason for this but I can't imagine one.

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
All,

If you purchased the phone with an credit card (Amex, M/C, or Visa) they all carry warranty insurance. Meaning, they double the manifacture warranty. I have done this before with Amex, and this program works fine!