Apple Care or AT&T Insurance?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
One lesson I learned when I purchased my Motorola Razr is that the insurance option through AT&T was a good investment. I am assuming (or hoping) that Apple will offer AppleCare for the iPhone, as I couldn't see AT&T will insure them right out of the gate. With a $600 phone, I would want to protect my investment in one form or another. Any speculation?

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I was wondering about this as well. I called my local cingular store and they had no idea whether they would offer a 'service plan' or not.

I am under the impression they don't offer service/insurance on such high value phones/pdas?

One lesson I learned when I purchased my Motorola Razr is that the insurance option through AT&T was a good investment. I am assuming (or hoping) that Apple will offer AppleCare for the iPhone, as I couldn't see AT&T will insure them right out of the gate. With a $600 phone, I would want to protect my investment in one form or another. Any speculation?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I was wondering about this as well. I called my local cingular store and they had no idea whether they would offer a 'service plan' or not.

I am under the impression they don't offer service/insurance on such high value phones/pdas?
Yeah, they don't seem to offer insurance for anything you'd actually want it for. lol

Any PDA, new phone, anything cool.

And, what's sad, is if you have insurance on an older phone (even as little as 1 year old) and they don't have any in-stock, you get a replacement phone. Some randomly selected phone with an equal or lesser value. Even worse, the phone's value (the one you lost) is rated at CURRENT pricing, not what you got it for. Sounds kinda worthless, huh? :D

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I think you're right. I can't swear to this, but I seem to remember reading that part of Apple's agreement with Cingular is that Apple do the customer service on the device. That even may be one of the conditions why Verizon bailed out. If true (reference anyone? I'm still looking), that suggests AppleCare will be the way to go. Personally, I know I'd sleep easier.

btw, welcome Macster & Justin!

-K

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I bought a MacBook over the weekend. I have read on other forums that the AppleCare plan that is available for it only covers manufacturer's defects. IOW, it would not cover any accidental damage (ie dropping it). Can anyone here confirm that?

If drop damage is not covered for the MacBook, is there any reason to expect the iPhone's AppleCare to cover it? If not, is the AppleCare plan really worth investing in since most electronics with manufacturer's defects fail relatively quickly (most likely during the standard warranty period)?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I bought a MacBook over the weekend. I have read on other forums that the AppleCare plan that is available for it only covers manufacturer's defects. IOW, it would not cover any accidental damage (ie dropping it). Can anyone here confirm that?

If drop damage is not covered for the MacBook, is there any reason to expect the iPhone's AppleCare to cover it? If not, is the AppleCare plan really worth investing in since most electronics with manufacturer's defects fail relatively quickly (most likely during the standard warranty period)?
I've never heard of a computer warranty that covers physical damage you inflict. Regardless, extending tech support from 3 months to 3 years is just as valuable if not more so. Have a problem with anything, a software glitch, a configuration know-how deficit, whatever, and you can just phone 800-275-2273 and get the answer.

Also, a personal anecdote: my old PowerBook came with a problem where the monitor latch wouldn't hold. It was repaired when I first got it, but it recurred 2.8 years later. Repaired again, but the tech didn't seat a screw properly and it gouged the key deck. Re-repair was so delayed due to various supply issues that Apple just offered to replace it with a brand spankin' new MacBook Pro (on which I'm typing now). AppleCare plan: worth every penny, imo.

We'll see what an APC costs for iPhone. An iPod one costs $59. I'll guess iPhone's will cost $99, $129, or $149.

-K

Trub

Mar 13, 2007
I've never heard of a computer warranty that covers physical damage you inflict.
Dell has "Complete Care" it covers anything and everything but theft. I've had to rebuild a laptop after the user ran over it in his SUV and Dell covered all the parts under "Complete Care".

I hope that Apple has the same type of plan.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The Cingular insurance covers everything that could happen to the phone (theft, water damage, dropping), but I'm not sure whether or not they'll offer that right away. They didn't offer coverage on the RAZR right away, but they did eventually.

gmplr831

Mar 12, 2007
My guess would be AT&T would push for their insurance. AppleCare sucks, and makes you pay for every little thing they fix. So hopefully insurance will be offered

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
My guess would be AT&T would push for their insurance. AppleCare sucks, and makes you pay for every little thing they fix. So hopefully insurance will be offered
Did you have a bad experience with AppleCare? I've utilized it on a few occasions (see above) and have had to pay for nothing. If you need to send anything in, they'll even send you a shipping box. Anyone else had to pay for repairs covered by AppleCare?

-K

Mar 7, 2007
i hope that there is an insurance plan available with theft replacement, because i think there is going to be a big problem with people getting them stolen.... same thing that happened (and still does) with the iPod

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
i hope that there is an insurance plan available with theft replacement, because i think there is going to be a big problem with people getting them stolen.... same thing that happened (and still does) with the iPod
Good point. The current plan explicitly does not cover stolen property. Perhaps they'll change that, or offer a separate theft rider. If you have separate insurance, you could always add it as a line item to your renter's/homeowner's policy. It's certainly expensive enough to qualify!

-K

Mar 22, 2007
I think Apple care would be the best way to go. I also use Apple care for my computers and notebooks and Apple has taken good care of me so far. One thing for sure is, if anyone buys this phone, which i know many who are, they shouls also buy the insurance for it. Nothing worse than buying a couple hundred dollars of product and then...oooops...... something bad happens and its gone.

andre000

Mar 17, 2007
Apple Care ot AT&T Insurance?

I would imagine that if Apple offered an Apple Care Protection Plan, it would be similar to the one they offer on the iPod, maybe with some modifications. They would probably need to look at an insurance businesss model for cell phones to offer a competitive product.

BTW, most TellNets do not offer their own insurance. I don't know specifically about AT&T. Most have relationships with 3rd party insurers. Asurion is a big one. They cover theft and damage (I recently had to replace a smartphone that was ran over by a car. Filing a claim cost me $50.00)

I always insure my phones. Its' the way to go.;)