Apple Component AV Cable

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jason14

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Does any one know if the component av cable does work with the iPhone for audio and video purposes?
It is listed uder cables and docks for iPhone on the Apple store

Last edited by a moderator:

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
The cable is not the issue. There is no video out of the iPhone.
The guys at macfixit took apart the iPhone and tested every pin in the jack and there is no video signal on any of them.

Sucks since my truck has 9 tvs' in it.

flavius

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
The guys at macfixit took apart the iPhone and tested every pin in the jack and there is no video signal on any of them.
What kind of truck is that?

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas

I might of been mistaken, but I have seen an upcoming firmware update with video out as an option not to long ago. The new universal dock which includes an iPhone adapter will be released in 3-4 weeks according to the APple store. I am assuming that is when the new firmware update will be released to support video out from the iPhone. Should be pretty cool. I'll try to find the site with those preview images of the update. Has anyone else seen this?

Here it is...
http://macenstein.com/default/archives/816

punkassjim

Jul 8, 2007
Just received my Component AV Cable today

Just as an update to this thread...

I received my cable this morning, and checked the site again today to see that they've finally changed the product page back to saying the iPhone is supported. Also, see this doc:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300233

It's pretty well spelled out in that link, but it's very important to note: the dock included with the iPhone WILL NOT WORK for TV output. If you want to hook up your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Classic or iPod Nano (video) to your entertainment center, you're gonna have to either use the cable by itself, or you'll need to buy the new Apple Universal Dock (not to be confused with the old iPod Universal Dock).

I haven't hooked it up to the TV yet, but that button in the top corner is nice: I'm guessing it lets you choose between letterbox and fullscreen, on the fly. Kinda defeats the purpose of the setting in the Settings widget...

Last edited by a moderator:

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I just got my cable today ! video works to the tv and IT WORKS WITH YOUTUBE ! now that is awesome .
now all i wish i had was a wireless sender to the tv from the component out .
this is nice for long movies and tv shows . its cool to be able to show a youtube video straight from your iPhone to a tv. and nope the dock that came with the iPhone does not work . i tested calling my iPhone when a video is playing to the tv . the video pauses you can decline or answer the phone i declined the video did not start again after . i hit play the video actually started a couple seconds back from where it paused . so that is nice . umm . over all pretty cool ,video looks crappy. oh . if you have a wide screen video and the option is not set to widescreen the video will go full screen and cut off the sides .- just double tap the iPhone screen and it scales down . hmm what else - im waiting for the composite one to get in stores so i can hook it up to a tv that does not have component .

punkassjim

Jul 8, 2007
over all pretty cool ,video looks crappy.
Is the video you're playing from the iTunes store? Or is it something you encoded with Handbrake? I'm very curious about this. The box says iPhone does 480i or 576i, but I'm wondering if videos I've encoded at higher resolutions will possibly output any higher. I doubt it, but there's hope. I'm guessing they wouldn't want to allow the iPhone to compete with the AppleTV.

Not sure what you meant about wireless connection, but I did confirm that the iR remote that comes with the Apple Universal Dock WILL work with the iPhone. Can't wait for my dock to get here!

punkassjim

Jul 8, 2007
Wow. I'd say the picture quality is awesome, but I'm viewing on a CRT television, and my video is encoded at 1500 kb/s. Aside from chunky visual artifacts when the scene has a fast camera change, I'd say the picture quality is as good my DVD player. And it's better on my setup, since my DVD player is Composite video. Much better color on the Component out.

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
This is great news. I was hoping it was going to be possible to have a video out. I know I saw the component AV cable on Apple.com, but I can't seem to find it now. Can someone provide a direct link please?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
This is great news. I was hoping it was going to be possible to have a video out. I know I saw the component AV cable on Apple.com, but I can't seem to find it now. Can someone provide a direct link please?
Here's the link for the Component cables:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=1AB26629s&nplm=MB128LL/A

Now I just got done chatting with an Apple Store rep and she told me these AV Composite cables will work too (though I don't think anyone has tried it yet):
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=MB129LL/A

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Here's the link for the Component cables:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=1AB26629s&nplm=MB128LL/A

Now I just got done chatting with an Apple Store rep and she told me these AV Composite cables will work too (though I don't think anyone has tried it yet):
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=MB129LL/A
Thank you. I just purchased it. Also, they have tried it. Scoll up in this thread and you will see that it does work for the iPhone as long as you update your phone to 1.1.1.

howardde

Oct 3, 2007
Cable Length?

Can anyone tell me how long the new Apple component or composite cables are? (by the way, I now see that they list the composite cable being compatible with the iPhone as well)

Also, wouldn't the composite cable get the same 480i resolution as the component cable? I ask b/c I currently have both component cable slots in use on my TV (for the DVD player and the Wii)

punkassjim

Jul 8, 2007
Can anyone tell me how long the new Apple component or composite cables are? (by the way, I now see that they list the composite cable being compatible with the iPhone as well)

Also, wouldn't the composite cable get the same 480i resolution as the component cable? I ask b/c I currently have both component cable slots in use on my TV (for the DVD player and the Wii)
The Apple support site is down at the moment, but if I'm not mistaken the iPhone puts out 480i or 576i regardless which cable you're using. The only difference between Composite or Component is the picture/color quality.

My cable was pretty damn long. From the dock connector to the fork is maybe 3 feet, and I think the audio/video/USB branches might be 5-6 feet. I was surprised I was able to make it reach from my iPhone to my TV and receiver and wall jack.