Apple component video Cable

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I just got off the phone with iPhone customer support.

I asked what cable I need for the iPhone video out .

He put me oh hold .. came back on 2 mins later . he said the

APPLE COMPONENT VIDEO AV CABLE WILL WORK .

he said it will be in Apple stores WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK!
that is good . now i have to cancel my order i place online today for the cable that later said it wont be shipped till oct. 24th ! what the heck! I'm canceling that and getting it in a week at the Apple store.

will . thank goodness because we can't have video out until we can buy that cable .. hmm . would have been good if that cable was in stores before the update so i could enjoy my videos on my tv now . well i just wanted to let evereyone know . this was straight from Apple .

UPDATE:

the Apple component av cable was not supposed to come till oct 24. i just got an email saying it was shippped and coming monday ! wahoo. if somone does not post that it works i will post my experience .

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for the info. Did they say whether or not the composite av cable will work?
i figured since he said the only one that works now is the component one i did not ask about he composite one . darn it i should have . I just assumed it did not . but it might

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
feel free to call

U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-iphone (1-800-694-7466)

they will answer any questions you ask on this post about any other video cables that will work with the iPhone .

177ike

Jul 21, 2007
I just went to radio shack to pick up a composite cable made for iPods. THEY DO NOT WORK. It appears the component type cables are the only ones that currently work.. I was only able to hear sound through the tv and no video. Yes, the cable was pushed all the way in.

If i didn't buy Stevie's AAPL stock a while back and watch it rise along with other tech stock's related to mobile devices, I might be getting a little more pissed off at this constant nickel and diming...Ahhh well, the price to pay for early technology adoption I suppose.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
UPDATE:

the Apple component av cable was not supposed to come till oct 24. i just got an email saying it was shippped and coming monday ! wahoo. if somone does not post that it works i will post my experience .

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
What's the point of a component cable? Chances are, if you're using compoonent you're using it on an HDTV. The iPhone's screen resolution (480x320) isn't going to look good on an HDTV (1280x720, 1360x768, 1366x768 1920x1080 etc.) no matter how it's connected.

johnjayb

Sep 26, 2007
very good point.. why use those cables when it doesn't even output nicely.. i mean... unless your just trying to get 480i or is it 480p?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I imagine they're just trying to appeal to the iPhone target market - most of whom probably have HD tvs (myself included). Personally, I'm surprised they didn't go with an HDMI connection to cut cost. I'm glad they didn't though - my older HD set only has component in...

Jul 23, 2007
The iPhone can play 640x480, correct? that is the same as an iTunes movie played on an AppleTV. that should be decent on a standard def TV, say in a motel room? Now if I can just get it to stream audio/video from MythTV!

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
I just ordered one with my $100 credit. I already have my computer hooked up to my tv so I guess I didn't really need it, but it seems cool to be able to have a portable video player that can hook up to any hdtv.

I'm just worried about compatibility, because on the Apple site it doesent say it is compatible with the iPhone.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I called Apple the night of the iPhone update. and asked the most simple question that should have been explained by Apple .. " what cable do i need to get for the iPhone to have video out ? i said it would make sense to know since you came out with the update for video . the guy was like yeah it would and put me on hold . so he got back on and said " the Apple component Av cable is the only one that works with the iPhone " I asked ok so will it be in Apple stores . he said yes within the next week ! - I already ordered the cable before the call so i kinda guess the right one. and it is due to be delivered oct 3rd. - but my guess is Apple store will have them in a week or less . maybe this week .

howardde

Oct 3, 2007
Length of Cable?

Can anyone tell me how long the new Apple component or composite cables are? (by the way, I now see that they list the composite cable being compatible with the iPhone as well)

Also, wouldn't the composite cable get the same 480i resolution as the component cable? I ask b/c I currently have both component cable slots in use on my TV (for the DVD player and the Wii)