Apple credit & AT&T service for 3G

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Just called Apple & AT&T & found out the following: If you still have the $100 credit from Apple from the purchase of the 1st iPhone, you will have to go to an Apple Store to use your credit. AT&T won`t except the credit.

Also if you don`t live in a 3G reception area, you will still have to purchase the $30/mo data plan!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It makes sense. I had a BlackJack and couldn't just pay to use the EDGE speeds so it would make sense on other devices as well.

ufcollins

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Jacksonville
will iPhone V1 owners have to pay the 30$ a month as well, or are we going to remain paying our original price?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
will iPhone V1 owners have to pay the 30$ a month as well, or are we going to remain paying our original price?
You'll keep the same data package that you have now, $20 for the unlimited data. You'll only have to pay the higher price if you upgrade to the iPhone 3G.

Do you go to UF?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Just called Apple & AT&T & found out the following: If you still have the $100 credit from Apple from the purchase of the 1st iPhone, you will have to go to an Apple Store to use your credit. AT&T won`t except the credit.

Also if you don`t live in a 3G reception area, you will still have to purchase the $30/mo data plan!
3G RECEPTION AREA?! WHAT DA HEK?!...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
yes, it won't matter. If you buy a 3G phone, you have to have the 3G data plan.
Not exactly true. You can have a 3G phone (a Samsung A-737 for instance) without a data plan at all, but IF you do have a data plan it MUST be a 3G data plan.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not exactly true. You can have a 3G phone (a Samsung A-737 for instance) without a data plan at all, but IF you do have a data plan it MUST be a 3G data plan.
Maybe with the Samsung, but if you get the new iPhone, you have to have a data plan. You can not have a iPhone without a data plan.
Or am I misunderstanding something here.:)

Edit: When I said a 3G phone, I thought it was understood to be an iPhone because of the topic.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Maybe with the Samsung, but if you get the new iPhone, you have to have a data plan. You can not have a iPhone without a data plan.
Or am I misunderstanding something here.:)

Edit: When I said a 3G phone, I thought it was understood to be an iPhone because of the topic.
Well obviously the iPhone is different than other phones because of its features that are web specific, but I was making the point that in the past it hasn't been a requirement to have a data plan with a regular 3G phone. Of course the iPhone 3G will require a two year contract with the $30 iPhone 3G Data Plan.