Apple dock to car dock build

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Archives' started by Hawk, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

OK, here are a few pics. Normally I am wary of posting my ideas on the internet anymore (people taking things and making money off my ideas) but I figure that sooner or later someone is going to do something very similar anyway...

So, my want/need is a dock in the car that I can place my iPhone 3G into, while still in the case, and once it's docked, it will automaticlly be connected to both power and audio out. No connecting anything else, just dock and enjoy. It's funny that no one makes one. Especially one that can handle being in the Slider case, and one that also allows AUX out.
    Here is what I have done. I started off with a V1 desktop dock and no clue as to how I was going to make it into a car dock. So I began with tearing apart the dock. Peeled the bottm off, unsnapped and fought with the bottom plastic, and eventually ended up with a weight, circuit board, housing, and really screwed up bottom cover.
    So the next week or so was spent trying to figure out how to use this with my existing car mount. Short answer, I cant. there is nothing to connect the two pieces without it looking like a lump of poo, so I scratched that idea. (this is of course AFTER I had started cutting on my mount and I had already cut the entire top of the dock cover off. Today, I picked up a new mount at bestbuys, but thats a different story, and really doesn't play a role here. It's just a backup in case my dock plans fail.)
    So... I have a weird looking f'd up topless dock, which I made a new bottom for, and I was trying to think of what to do to hold the phone and to everything to the dash.
    I spied some left over aluminum pieces from when I fixed my shower door. These are right angled 1" pieces. Small stroke of brilliance. Put a piece on each side to hold the phone, and to guide it onto the dock connector.
    So now I have cut the aluminum pieces to about half the height of the iPhone, cut slightly angled slots in the side of the dock, and then bent the edge that goes along the side of the phone to an angle that would actually hold onto the phone. You'll understand when you see the pics.
    Next step is to connect the 2 pieces, which I will now call the "holder", and then connect them to the dock.
    The circuit board has been trimmed and mounted in the dock housing with clear silicon. It's now water-proof (except the actual ports) and is secure. Once I put the silicon down, I used a pair of headphones and a Apple cable to connect through the back and hold everything in place. No going back now....
    I also have worked on the whole mounting all of this in the car, once it's put together. I looked at proClips a lot, and how to install the piece for my particular vehicle. piece of cake. In fact, I wonder how they can get away with charging so much for those vehicle brackets. I have a straight steel "bar" about 2.5 inches wide bent to form a rectangle. It's from a computer frame. All I have to do is make one side fit around my ac vents ( where my current mount sits) and have a "plate" piece off to the left. This would have my iPhone at the top of my dash, just to the right of my steering wheel.
    I am still working on the last piece of the puzzle, which is how exactly does it mount to the plate, but I think I figured that out, using one half of my old cut up mount, and the plate that attaches to the vent, without the vent clips. I'll post pis of that when I complete it.
    For now, here are some pics of my progress. Please remember that much of this is still "raw" and will have been painted when completed.

#1 Hawk, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

My vote for dash mount: epoxy.

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

here are some more pics. And in case you were wondering, I have tested the dock and it still works as it should.

dock 6.jpg dock 5.jpg dock 7.jpg dock 8.jpg

#3 Hawk, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  4. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Nope for 2 reasons.
    1) leather dash
    2) LEATHER DASH! LOL PLus there is no flat enough surface to do it to anywhere else.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Just be careful of attaching to the vents. They are often pretty flimsy.

Mount is looking good!

6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I don't like my current vent clips. This is going to be different.
    Look in this pic and you will see the left seam along the AC vents dash piece. the bracket goes in that seam and connects inside the dash ( something which ProClips doesn't even do.) It would be a bit similar to the bracket on the bottom right that they are displaying.
    PLus my dash has a nav system in place of the AC unit and the radio is Tape deck with CD changer in the back of the vehicle.

#6 Hawk, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Just wanted to post an update. Still working on the dock as I find time, but I also think I figured out how to do this via Retail Product.
    Start with a pass through or Active dock. Then use the Griffin Auto Pilot to connect to the dock. The Auto Pilot has an Audio Out on it, so essentially, the AUX port is in a different place, but would still be available.
    So now it's a waiting game to see if I finish my dock first ( as I find time to work on it) or if ProClips comes out with their adjustable pass-through dock and Griffin gets the Auto Pilot Approved by Apple for the iPhone 3G.

Stay tuned...

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, I admit defeat. I have all the pieces, but just like All the Kings Horses and all the Kings men couldn't put Humpty back together again, I can't seem to get this dock to stay together. I have "liquid metal" epoxy, and it doesn't hold for crap. I was admittedly a bit rough with it, but this is something that has to withstand a phone being slammed into it at least twice a day- EVERY day.
    So I went the retail route. I got the Griffin Auto Pilot and a Dice dock. I also got a ground loop isolator to avoid any noise from the car in case there is a grounding problem somewhere.
    I did my research on the Auto pilot. I was looking at it or the Kensington Liquid Aux. Two main decision makers: 1) customer reviews (I specifically looked for ones about iPhones and the 3G) and
    2) PRICE! The liquid AUX is $50-$80. I got the Auto Pilot on Amazon for $19.99.
    *NOTE - the AUto Pilot is not yet iPhone approved ( Griffin's tech people said that they are waiting, but Apple can be slow) so there is the chance of getting that "This accessory is not made to work with the iPhone..blah blah blah" message is kinda high, but from the reviews i read, not that many iPhone users were getting it, and I think that with the latest firmware, the message doesn't come up. I'll let you know as soon as I test it out.
    As far as the Dice pass through Video Dock, It's not going to fit my phone in a slider case right out of the box. However, after examining the photos of the adapters and everything, I believe that making it work should be easy.

9. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Here's the video of my Griffin Auto pilot and modified Dice Dock:
    Caution, it's 8 minutes long. ;)

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

So far so good. Everything is holding ip nicely, and I really enjoy the "dock-n-go" setup. I should have the aux cable for my axxess integration unit, so soon I'll be able to put the tape adapter aside and use my setup with all cables buried behind the dash.

Sorry for the long video, but I was trying to be thorough with everything.