Apple Event Sept 5th (conslusion)

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Apple Event Sept 5th (conclusion)

Uhm... that main title should read... "conclusion". Back to school.

After scouring the net and reading the rumors and reading about what Apple has and has not done in the past I can only come to one conclusion...

... this is a "Ipod only" event. The iPhone and the new iMacs and the new software versions will make an "ancillary" appearance in word and picture (or video) only, as in the other "Event" when the new iMacs were introduced.

The invitation tells the entire story...

The guy in the graphic is holding an iPod. New iPod lines with cover flow and OSX. Maybe even with "aluminum and glass". :) I have absolutely no doubt that there will be no "major" iPhone update connected to or announced during this event beyond a possible mention of the mysterious "future". I'm also pretty sure Steve Jobs can spend a long time with the new iPods telling the world how they will better integrate into your iLife.

Why would they hold a "major event" to confuse their target (iPod) audiences? Adding major features to the iPhone as they announce a new iPod line would seem to do just that. I suspect the new iPod will do (even more) things that the iPhone doesn't yet do... like connect wifi to iTunes.

The new iPods will almost certainly do *something* we don't yet expect and that hasn't yet leaked. There will almost certainly be a widescreen version like the iPhone.

They may still give us a "functional" iPhone update soon (I hope). I don't think it will be tomorrow so don't get your hopes up. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

P.S. I would LOVE to be dead wrong. :) I doubt it. If I have to eat my words tomorrow I will be VERY happy to! :)

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
One of the major features of the iPhone is the ipod though. If the new ipod has features the new iPhone doesn't have or won't have, you'll have some unhappy iPhone owners.

I agree a major iPhone update with things like copy and paste are unlikely but I'm still hopeful.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Maybe "the beat goes on" means an on the go online iTunes. Get it, the "beat goes on", meaning goes on away from home, on the go anywhere? yes I know, its already been speculated on by many folks, but I figured I'd just say what I thought about it.

I wouldn't think they would add a bunch of stuff to the ipod and not include it in the iPhone, but then again what would be the purpose of even having an ipod? Lower price maybe? I guess ppl not wanting att service also could fall in this group.

Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see now won't we?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah It's tomorrow at 10 AM, we might as well just wait and see. :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Is that 1:30 for those of us on the East Coast?

Jun 26, 2007
amarillo, tx
yet again a nother use for the iPhone I'm gona be at school so Im going to have to use my iPhone to look on the Internet to see what the new thing is

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
If the new ipod has features the new iPhone doesn't have or won't have, you'll have some unhappy iPhone owners.
You mean kinda like using the "new" iPod as a disk drive from a standard Mac or PC desktop to drag and drop files like the iPod I bought last year can do? :)

And the "new" iPhone cannot do without hacking?

You can pretty much count on that result since it already exists. :D Keep in mind this is one of the things you couldn't try to do in the store before buying.

Although in fairness they never said it could.

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
You mean kinda like using the "new" iPod as a disk drive from a standard Mac or PC desktop to drag and drop files like the iPod I bought last year can do? :)

And the "new" iPhone cannot do without hacking?
You can pretty much count on that result since it already exists. :D Keep in mind this is one of the things you couldn't try to do in the store before buying.

Although in fairness they never said it could.
Fair point, you also can't view show notes of a podcast youre listening to and i guess you can do that with a regular 30gb video ipod.

I don't see Apple giving the next generation of ipod wireless iTunes (which has been a pretty strong rumor) and not doing the same for the iPhone. Threre would be uproar over something that big.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Uhm... that main title should read... "conclusion". Back to school.

After scouring the net and reading the rumors and reading about what Apple has and has not done in the past I can only come to one conclusion...

... this is a "Ipod only" event. The iPhone and the new iMacs and the new software versions will make an "ancillary" appearance in word and picture (or video) only, as in the other "Event" when the new iMacs were introduced.

The invitation tells the entire story...

The guy in the graphic is holding an iPod. New iPod lines with cover flow and OSX. Maybe even with "aluminum and glass". :) I have absolutely no doubt that there will be no "major" iPhone update connected to or announced during this event beyond a possible mention of the mysterious "future". I'm also pretty sure Steve Jobs can spend a long time with the new iPods telling the world how they will better integrate into your iLife.

Why would they hold a "major event" to confuse their target (iPod) audiences? Adding major features to the iPhone as they announce a new iPod line would seem to do just that. I suspect the new iPod will do (even more) things that the iPhone doesn't yet do... like connect wifi to iTunes.

The new iPods will almost certainly do *something* we don't yet expect and that hasn't yet leaked. There will almost certainly be a widescreen version like the iPhone.

They may still give us a "functional" iPhone update soon (I hope). I don't think it will be tomorrow so don't get your hopes up. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

P.S. I would LOVE to be dead wrong. :) I doubt it. If I have to eat my words tomorrow I will be VERY happy to! :)
This isn't a very impressive prediction, I'm pretty much sure everyone knows (in their heart of hearts) there won't be an iPhone update (unless it is version 1.03).

I'm also almost positive that the new iPod will be exactly like the iPhone, in look and feel, after you press the iPod button on it. I mean Apple is all about uniformity. Use iTunes on a PC or mac, use safari on PC or Mac, they are exactly the same. Hell, the difference Gen 1 iPod and Gen 5 video ipod as far as the interface is almost exactly the same. They spent so much time on that, why would they make it different from iPhone's which steve jobs has touted as "the best iPod we've ever made". When he makes that comparison he is not talking about the size, because the iPhone that is a mere 8gb, is not as good as a nice 80gb iPod. It's the new interface that does it and that's why the new iPod will have exactly the same one.

I'm praying that the new iPod has something neat that the iPhone doesn't have yet, because I guarantee if it does (like the wifi iTunes) it will be updated to the iPhone that very same day.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
Time will tell, I am just about certain we won't be seeing anything related to the iPhone !

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I agree. But I hope they come out with some type of update!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm just wondering how many people are going to be watching this "keynote" online as opposed to how many watched the ones leading up to the iPhone release. I'm almost certain it's going to be much, much less. I don't really thinkg there's going to be anything significant introduced in regards to the iPhone, but there's always the optimistic hope.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The beat goes On-line.

I believe that's the full slogan. I don't know what they're implying, but I would hope it means wifi purchases through iTunes, as well as a data line for iPhones.

Additionally, behind the person with the ipod is the current iPhone album gallery. I don't recall this on any ipod, but I haven't exactly kept up to date either. In any case I thought I'd point that bit out.

If I were a betting man, I'd say this keynote is primarily to usher in a new line of ipods that are basically iPhones without the phone aspect. Any new features added to the ipod iTunes application would be inherited by the iPhone with an update around product launch.