Apple: EVIL or DIMWITTED?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
OK, so what I want to do is use my extra power cord to plug in the iPhone's power adapter behind my bed. That way it's right there on my night stand, charging happily right where I want it, but I don't then have to reach behind the bed to unplug the USB cable from the power adapter box and into my computer so's I can sync it.

Guess what? Apple, in their infinite widsom, has made the laptop power cables incompatible with the iPhone power adapter (notice the second notch in the adapter receptacle?). How obnoxious! I see that second, completely unnecessary notch as a large middle finger, as there's no chance it was accidental.

The only workaround is to use a second USB cable for syncing (unless standard computer power cables fit, I'll look around for one), but that's not quite long enough. I hope I also have a USB extension cord as well...

Just wanted to share this most irritating discovery. End of rant.

-K

Attachments

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I think the real problem is that the iPhone usb cables are incredibly short. Why did they do that? It's too short for an adaptor on the floor and the iPhone on a desk.

I bought USB extension cables to solve this. I think it's silly to have to do this, but they work fine.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I think the real problem is that the iPhone usb cables are incredibly short. Why did they do that? It's too short for an adaptor on the floor and the iPhone on a desk.

I bought USB extension cables to solve this. I think it's silly to have to do this, but they work fine.

I think they were definitely designed with the iMac user in mind....whole computer right there on the desktop, USB from the dock to the computer that's 2 feet away, no problem.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I think they were definitely designed with the iMac user in mind....whole computer right there on the desktop, USB from the dock to the computer that's 2 feet away, no problem.
Sure, or the Apple display user, since the Apple monitors all have USB in the monitor.

If you go with a non-Apple solution, and it doesn't provide conveniently located USB ports, expect to use a handy extender cable.

The length is a compromise... mine's WAY too long since it only runs about 4 inches from the display USB port to the dock beside the display.

The only way to make everyone happy would be some mythical stretchable wires!

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I agree that it works fine for using with a computer on a desk, but boy it stinks for using it with the power adaptor.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They probably don't want them too long to avoid a possible accident where you might snatch the iPhone or ipod off the table. The shorter the charging cable, the less chance of you tripping over it.