Apple express router or normal router

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rugved1118, Jan 28, 2015.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello,
    Would you prefer to buy Apple express router or normal router ?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The AirPort Extreme base station I got about three years ago is the best router I've ever had.

3. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I currently have a two year old Apple Airport Extreme wireless router and love everything about it, except the range leaves a lot to be desired. I have to utilize an Apple Airport Express as a wireless extender on one end of our house in order to catch a decent signal there. We are just about to move to an even larger single story house and I'm not confident how well the Airport Express extender is going to work there. I'm wondering what others consider to be the absolute best wireless router on the market for maximum range? As much as I love the ease of configuration of my Apple routers, I'm guessing that there are other routers out there with superior range to that of the AirPort Extreme?

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I need to extend the range of my wifi network. Should I get one of these? I currently have a Verizon router.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Verizon's routers aren't terrible. If you have FIOS, you cannot replace it with your own router, unless you don't use their DVR.

As for extending WiFi, you could use an Airport Express (not the Airport Extreme router), with your existing router. The names are a bit confusing. I have a 3-5 year old Airport Express that I've been using to extend WiFi on an ASUS router. It works surprisingly well. I needed it to boost the WiFi in a room that using a Dropcam. As a result, the Dropcam has been rock solid.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Just to weigh in on the original question, the Airport Extreme is an excellent router. The range might not be as great as others, but I found it to be an incredibly stable product. Our current router is fast, but quirky and the control panel is scary.

7. EverythingApple

Gold

Yes, I have FiOS. I have an older Airport Express that I tried to use. It didn't work. I guess I'll invest in a newer one. I think they cost about $99.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Mine is ancient. Let me look around for the directions I followed. You have find an older version of the Airport Utility, one that works with the older model.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

That's probably the problem, the version of Airport Utility I have is too new.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I used this to get it recognized.

11. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks. I'll try that later, and report back.

12. EverythingApple

Gold

Darn it. I think I disposed of the Airport Express I had, as I thought it was too old and didn't work anymore. Wish I posted here about it before I did that. :(

13. EverythingApple

Gold

@chris what model do you have? I found a used one for $50, its a MB321LL/A.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

15. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

If you're interested in an AirPort Extreme, contact me and let's see if we can make a deal on one that I recently recently replaced with a time capsule. I only used the extreme for about a year.

16. EverythingApple

Gold

As soon as I get my airport express in the mail, I'm going to try this. I'll report back after. Thanks @chris !

17. EverythingApple

Gold

Ok, I got my airport express configured. It's connect to my network but don't know how to get it to work as a wifi extender. Everything I read says I need an Apple AirPort Extreme. Please help. Thanks!!

18. EverythingApple

Gold

19. EverythingApple

Gold

Chris can please you give me some advice on how to do this? I can't seem to get the express to extend the wireless signal from the Verizon router. It's connected to the network, but none of my wireless devices are recognizing it. Thanks!

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I used Airport Utility and selected "Join a wireless network". I selected my network, the one used by my primary router. You'll need to enter your wireless password. There should be an option to extend your wireless network. If it's an older version of the Airport Express, you may need this utility. The new Airport Utility doesn't work with older express units and the older version won't launch without the launcher available for download on that page.

This appears to be a good tutorial on the process.