Apple files patent for flip phone design ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I understand those are just concepts at this point, but even as a concept, I prefer the format of the current iPhone. Anytime you add moving parts, things get clumsier and more likely to break. I was really happy Apple went the candybar format for the iPhone (albeit, old-school Hershey bar in width :) )

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I like the candy bar style too. If Apple does come out with a flip phone it will be interesting to see how much they pack into it. I don't think I would every buy a phone that wasn't a Smartphone again. But I'm sure Apple would like to target the audience that when sees the iPhone says "what do I need all of those features for?"

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
This is what I've been waiting for. This would be an awesome innovation. The most popular form factor in the world with iPhone software in it? I will definitely be getting one of these should it ever drop!:laugh2:

Edit..Just saw, 3 touchscreens! I'm in.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I don't really like the idea either. I really prefer it how it is. I hope that if this idea ever does make it to production, that they still have the other style as an option.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't think i would ever make it to production
aw, man... i would totally buy one of you, too.

on a serious note, it's way too early to tell if i'd like this better or worse than the current iPhone. Chances are against it, but i'd never bet against Apple when it comes to designing new products. at the very least, the option to choose between two designs can't be a bad thing.

the other thing to consider is Apple may only be filing a patent to prevent someone else from "altering" touchscreen designs temporarily until they can explore the idea first.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
aw, man... i would totally buy one of you, too.

on a serious note, it's way too early to tell if i'd like this better or worse than the current iPhone. Chances are against it, but i'd never bet against Apple when it comes to designing new products. at the very least, the option to choose between two designs can't be a bad thing.

the other thing to consider is Apple may only be filing a patent to prevent someone else from "altering" touchscreen designs temporarily until they can explore the idea first.
Yeah, Rim files all kind of crazy patents all the time but nothing ever comes of them.....

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Apple is very calculating with their designs that they use and even the ones they don't. This very well may be a design idea that didn't make it, but they're patenting it anyway to prevent a competitor from creating something similar and directly competing with their flagship products.

Big companies file lots of patents, and its extremely frustrating as a consumer when the more interesting filings never make it to the store shelf.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
With their new laptop being wafer thin it would be nice to see some of the same thin technology in a folding phone that is as thin as a few quarters stacked on each other. I am hoping this actually comes to bear. I wont give up my iPhone but the wife is due for a new phone and if I get her one then I can play with it too. ;-)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I understand those are just concepts at this point, but even as a concept, I prefer the format of the current iPhone. Anytime you add moving parts, things get clumsier and more likely to break. I was really happy Apple went the candybar format for the iPhone (albeit, old-school Hershey bar in width :) )
I agree. It has more of a solid form the way it is now. A flip iPhone just wouldn't do it for me.

- John

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I think it might have a chance. Think about this... If they take the current look of the iPhone and add another part that looks similar to the one we have now that flips up, it might be pretty cool looking... It can be used as a webcam, and even turn to use as a camcorder.. Apple might have something going here..

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
What if its not just a phone? But an always connected pocket internet device, something the MacBookAir "isn't."

With all this work put into Entourage, why not apply that to a product that is built from the ground up as a businesss tool instead of trying to coax that from the iPhone?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what **I** really want to see is a LAPTOP like this.

let that marinade in your noggin for a minute.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. Imagine a laptop with a two touchscreens instead of a normal screen and keyboard.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I agree. It has more of a solid form the way it is now. A flip iPhone just wouldn't do it for me.

- John
I also agree with the above John. Although I do like the idea of the see through flip down part acting as a solid screen protector, but, meh...I want a solid device, no large moving parts that could snap off at the slightest bump or jar...you should see my sk3 right now, sheesh!

I for one hope they are not focused on this model and are hard at work on our beloved 3g 32+gb version.2 iPhone...enough with this nonsense!:p