Apple Has Been Sued Because iPhones Often Don't Deliver Text Messages To Android Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, May 16, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How many times have we seen this issue come up here on eiC? I had a feeling someone would bring a lawsuit against Apple for this iMessage mess. Here's the report:
    http://www.businesssinsider.com/apple-lawsuit-iphones-don't-deliver-texts-to-android-2014-5

As simple as it is to avoid this from happening, most iPhone users are clueless when they switch to Android. IMO, Apple should fix this so anyone switching from iPhone to Android need do nothing.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1400270846.480284.jpg

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's not always a cut-and-dried solution, though. The prescribed fixes don't work for all users.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Happened to me and I went to extremes to fix the issue. I contacted Apple and had them 'remove my number' from iMessage servers. Within minutes, my wife as able to text me. However, a good friend of mine still had problems. The trouble is that you don't know who is having difficulty sending messages.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is good. I'm glad they are finally being sued over it. It has been an ongoing problem for well over a year and Apple has failed to provide a solution that works for everyone.

Apple needs to do three things to fix this.

1. Make an online iMessages deactivation method available for those who forgot or didn't know that they needed to disable iMessages prior to restoring and selling their iPhones. Unregistering the phone online doesn't always solve the problem.

2. Add an option to clear the iMessages cache for those with iPhones that persistently see a current Android user's phone as an iPhone and thereforee continue to send iMessages to them that they can't receive. Currently, the fix Apple is recommending is to restore, and that's pretty drastic. It doesn't always work, either.

3. Add a setting that will allow people to disable iMessages for individual contacts (who now have Android devices that are still being seen as iPhones). It is currently an all-or-nothing setting so some people are having to disable iMessages altogether because of a problem with one contact.

5. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

Better would be to deliver a message by text if not delivered over iMessage within 5 minutes ( or something like that )

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That doesn't solve anything. Europa has the best solution for what Apple should do. The question becomes will they do anything at all. There's way too many people getting stuck in this situation. Apple needs to fix it.

7. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

At least with my solution you keep both sides happy. If delivered over iMessage you won't be charged and if not delivered you'll be sure it will be by text. I've read on this forum somewhere that iMessage gets deactivated if not used for 45 days

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That just doesn't work. It leaves many accounts all screwed up. I wouldn't want my messages all messed up that way.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The problem is that they do show delivered to the iOS sender. However, in reality they end up getting stuck in iMessage purgatory and the Android receiver has no idea they were ever sent.

10. gadgetgal

gadgetgal Member
    Bronze

I agree that Apple needs to fix this. People do change phones for various reasons, and I've also read that some people go back and forth between the two as in use both platforms. In my case, I literally just switched to Android after having an iPhone since they came out in 2007. I don't need to get into my reasons why as I'm not here to bash iphone-it's very specific to my own needs. I'm still a daily iPad user. Anyhow-I read up before I switched, and saw to turn off iMessage beforehand. I also saw that it didn't do the trick for everybody, but I figured I'd see what happens. In my case, I'm good to go and no issues getting texts from iPhones. But I feel for those who didn't know or for whom turning off iMessage beforehand still didn't do it.

11. I am plagued with receiving my messages from Android users hours after they sent them, I know its better than not receiving them but not helpful if you are trying to organize events...

12. Member 01

Member 01 New Member

It's your fault for going to Android

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We encourage views from both sides here.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is not their fault. Your reply is unhelpful and rude. We are here to help people regardless of which platform they use. This was a known iOS problem for a couple years and it's good that Apple finally became accountable for it and is fixing the problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I love Apple stuff and would never move to Android, but they gotta fix this like yesterday. It's horrible for those who want to switch and bad press for a company that's built a great reputation on customer service.

16. RobDeleu

RobDeleu New Member

I doubt they would do it on purpose. I'm pretty sure it'll be fixed in no time now.