Apple has just taken away the ability to check whether an iDevice being sold is jacked

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
When preparing to buy a used iDevice, you used to be able to check at http://icloud.com/activationlock whether it was stolen by entering its IMEI or serial number.

Apple has just deprived you of that privilege.

According to MacRumors, “Apple has not explained why it removed the page. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.”

If new information is reported, I’ll be sure to pass it along.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I liked one of the comments from the readers of the article I linked to, above.

“[T]hey're probably removing features to make the site thinner.” Best comment ever!

Jan 26, 2017
I liked one of the comments from the readers of the article I linked to, above.

“[T]hey're probably removing features to make the site thinner.” Best comment ever!
Almost as good as 'Maybe you have to buy an adapter to use the site now...?' and 'Removing it is innovation' haha. I wonder if it is something to do with Apple not wanting you to buy used phones?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Almost as good as 'Maybe you have to buy an adapter to use the site now...?' and 'Removing it is innovation' haha. I wonder if it is something to do with Apple not wanting you to buy used phones?
Or—they only want you to buy used iPhones from them

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s why they did it.

But, let’s wait until tomorrow. Maybe they just didn’t want to comment during the weekend.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just check if iCloud activation lock is enabled before purchasing the iDevice, simple as that. Can't verify? Don't buy, there's always more out there.