Apple has released iOS 8.1

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Took my 5 about 20 minutes OTA. My Wife's 5c took about 12 minutes OTA.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My grandmother installed it just a few hours ago. For her at the beginning it said 3 hours remaining. :p

For me right when it came out, no more than 10 minutes.

Aug 1, 2007
I woke up at 11, did some things, and downloaded the update no problems. Took about 10 minutes total.

Before class, I used the sms feature. Was pretty sweet to see: to have something like AirDroid for Android embedded into an OS without having to login to a site. On my way home, I'm texting. Don't even have wifi on, no bluetooth, etc. I get home, open my mac. I see my older messages there thinking.. this isn't gonna sync and the conversations being older are gonna confuse me.

I open Spotify not even 10 seconds later and it starts syncing, in perfect order. Not even connected to my wi-fi/bluetooth, etc. It was like true magic. Wonder how that works, and how the texts synced without even being connected to a wifi network on my phone?

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I updated my iPad 3 yesterday and found no issues. So this morning I updated my iPhone 5 and I am hoping for the same result. I did both through iTunes and each took about 35 minutes from start to finish. So far, so good.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I woke up at 11, did some things, and downloaded the update no problems. Took about 10 minutes total.

Before class, I used the sms feature. Was pretty sweet to see: to have something like AirDroid for Android embedded into an OS without having to login to a site. On my way home, I'm texting. Don't even have wifi on, no bluetooth, etc. I get home, open my mac. I see my older messages there thinking.. this isn't gonna sync and the conversations being older are gonna confuse me.

I open Spotify not even 10 seconds later and it starts syncing, in perfect order. Not even connected to my wi-fi/bluetooth, etc. It was like true magic. Wonder how that works, and how the texts synced without even being connected to a wifi network on my phone?
I was wondering the same thing, how does it all work? I wonder if Apple explains it anywhere or has anybody figured it out?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
So 8.1 didn't break all sorts of stuff?

Is it safe to upgrade?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey

Is it safe to upgrade?
So far so good.

It only took 10 minutes to finish. I got my Camera Roll back!!!:D Safari appears to be snappier on my iPhone 6+. The overall functions seem to be snappier for me as well.

No problems so far. I'm loving this update.

Go for it!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Is it safe to upgrade?
It's all good here, for me anyways. Surprisingly good. Seems the QC control team was taken into the corporal punishment chamber and gotten whipped a few times :D. I'm very happy so far. I mentioned in another thread that I was especially pleased to notice that when I received a standard ("green") SMS message while my iMac was off, as soon as I turned my iMac on a few minutes later, I got the alert there as well.

Since the feature was labeled as "SMS relay," I prematurely assumed that said feature would only work when an iDevice running iOS 8.1+ was online while a Mac computer on OS X Yosemite was simultaneously online. I was pleased to know that that isn't the case.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I did the OTA upgrade on my 5S last evening with no issues. Attempted the same with my iPad2 only to get a reboot to the Apple logo ... no go ... I left it that way last night trying to shut it down/reboot. No success. I tried connecting to my MBP this AM. Neither device acknowledge the presence of the other. At this point, I'm letting the iP2 sit there with the logo displaying in hopes that it will eventually run out of juice at which point, I try to connect to iTunes to restore from backup ... I hope .... I has a sad ... :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Faster internet connection? It took about 80 minutes total but installed.
If you update through iTunes, you have to download the WHOLE iOS installer package, which is huge obviously. If you do an over-the-air update, you only have to download a "delta" update, which is much smaller.