Apple HDTV with Siri in 2013!

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by iBoss, Oct 27, 2011.

1. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

I just heard a rumor of an Apple HDTV for 2013 that is going to include SiRi. How badass is this!

Sent from my iPhone4(S) iCafe

2. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I would rather a remote.

3. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

I'm pretty sure a remote would be available. And also an app so you can use your iPhone or Touch as a remote

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I wish they'd stick with the current AppleTV format. Embedding it into a tv brings up all kinds of problems.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

They'd be absolutely nuts not to offer an ATV-like device to bring iOS features to any television. A large format HDTV is a big investment, and what Apple needs for this to work is mass adoption. And to get that, they need to keep offering a <$100 solution to get their services into your television. But offering an all-in-one turnkey solution is very Apple and stands to net them a much higher profit margin. So why not?

I think the introduction of Siri has just gotten everyone thinking about how it would work on Apple's other products, and where they could go with it. The TV is begging for an overhaul these days. All Apple needs is content and it will kill cable.

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

It would have to have current content. Not recorded stuff. Local news, sports etc.

If you were the only one in the house, then you could talk to your tv. How about when you have others talking? Have to make them shut up to tell your tv to mute? Seems silly.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Or even, you know... the TV. Would have to be one hell of a voice-recognition algorithm.

I just don't see the full-TV thing happening... at all.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Voice control for home theater is nothing new... it's just not really used because the very nature of home theater implies lots of background noise. I'm sure Apple will also offer remote control and automation via iOS devices and/or computers.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't see this happening. We talked about it at length in this week's podcast. (available later today on iTunes).

I echo much of what Dave said... I just don't see them doing this anytime soon. TV's are big investments with people updating once every 5-7 years (does that sound about right). It would have to be more compelling then simply dropping Apple TV into a television. It would have to do everything my TiVo does -- and better. They would need to strike all sorts of content deals without pissing off cable too much -- and they would still have to work out a way so that it would work with your local cable provider. Likely a M card, easy pairing through Internet connection.

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

yes, doing a device that is very closed and you can control all content is one thing....making that device play well with lots of other companies and their rules is a totally different thing.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Exactly. Not an easy task.

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I believe having a mic in the remote would greatly help if using Siri, especially in a room of people all saying what they want to watch.

While I think ATV will certainly mature and improve having it in an Apple branded TV does not seem like the TV could add too much to the equation.

More importantly: 2013? To me that is too far away to even care right now.

Michael

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Apple should just buy up Netflix. That would at least get them in the door.

But they need live content, too. Sports, news, and such. Cable has monopolized most local markets (for example I can't watch Phillies games here in Philly if I don't have Comcast cable) and it has stagnated prices and services for a long time now. Apple vs Cable is a battle I would simply love to see.

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Exactly. Even discounting the advancements in flatscreen technology in 5-7 years, there is no way that the computing hardware will last that long. Especially if they go the current route of mimicking the iPhone platform to do it. Hell, even if they up the ante and run it all on a core i3, I'm not sure that'll do the job for more than a few years. So at that point your screen is working just fine, but the software is no longer supported because your old processor can't handle it.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Selling TVs with their services already included would allow them to augment the halo effect they already get from their other digital consumer devices. The profit margin would be much higher than the little stuff like iPods and iPhones I would think. And if they're priced competitively and are aesthetically pleasing, I could see them being popular if the service behind them takes off.

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I think they realize the sports dilemma, which is why they've added MLB, NBA, Hockey, etc. Of course, you still can't watch stuff that conflicts with other licenses (like local games), but at least they're moving in the right direction.

17. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I don't want to have to pay an annual subscription to watch my local teams in my own town. That's absurd.

Then again, I pay $100 a month for cable TV, which is also pretty absurd.

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Margins on TVs have been dropping steadily as the market becomes saturated with HD TVs in every home.

I don't see that situation at all like Apple's entry into the MP3 player or smartphone arenas. While they both had other products in the arena upon Apple's arrival, they were still not seen as devices we "need." TVs? Who does not have one? (Well more and more people, apparently.)

It would need to be truly ground-breaking tech that causes people to go out and replace their existing HD systems with an Apple TV. I just don't see it.

Actually I don't see anything TV-wise being all that promising. I, and many of the people in my circle of friends, are watching less and less of it. Maybe THAT is what Apple can do: reinvent TV. And ATV is definitely not it at this point in time. While I have and like my ATV it could just as easily be "WebTV 2010" as it does not seem to have the polish I am used to from apple--aside from the actual box itself. Of course, ironically, ATV does not even allow rudimentary web browsing unless you hack it. :)

Michael

19. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Exactly. That is what is kind of strange in the Netflix backlash: the increase in price would have been nothing for cable companies, or even satellite providers.

But lack of the "live" feeling is what has made my ATV feel, for lack of a better word, "sterile" (or detached).

Michael

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I don't see it being big for them in that way, no. But if you have a cheap system (ala $100 ATV) with solid service behind it, why not also have a line of screens to put it in just to get a bit of your name and aesthetic into that market? It would just round out their foray into the TV market.

Imagine if they sold Macs but you had to get your screen from another manufacturer. Sure, the option is there, but it's just not very Apple to not have anything in house for those that want the full Apple experience in one package.