Apple ID account, password compromised and I was hacked!

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by ZR_Yancy, Sep 21, 2013.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

When I was on my iPhone 5 today, a new app, all of sudden, downloaded and installed in front of my eyes. Age of Warring Empires. I was baffled. So I deleted it. Then I received an email from Apple stating that an app was recently download from the AppStore using my ID. The device/computer that initiated this download is in China. OH CRAP! So I immediately changed my password. Anybody else ever experience this? I'm really concerned now.

"Dear Yancy *****************,

Your Apple ID, ********************, was just used to download Age of Warring Empire from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID. You may also be receiving this email if you reset your password since your last purchase.

This download was initiated from China.

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.

If you did not initiate this download, we recommend that you go to iforgot.apple.com to change your password, then see Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account for further assistance.

Regards,
    Apple"

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

In all my years with Apple and the iPhone, I have never heard or experienced this myself. Have you spoke with Apple personally over the phone regarding this? I would be very worried as well for a while as it could happen again and be worse next time.

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This is very concerning, I'd check personal email and online bank accounts as well, reset all that can be reset.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I had it happen to me awhile ago. Someone, somehow installed a $3.99 app. Some stupid itching design type of thing. LOL
    Changed password (s) and all has been well for quite some time now.

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm just hoping it was some type of temporary glitch in the AppStore servers. If they had access to my AppStore account, they would have purchased something expensive like tons of cash and gold in Real Racing 3.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Exactly. I say at this point to not put much worry into it, unless something else occurs. But of course always be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Alarming.

They recommend that your PW be changed routinely. Whatever that means.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly, as long as your password is a good password that can't be easily guessed, then I don't change my password unless I forget it.

Sent using iCafe app

9. smelton3

smelton3 Member
    Bronze

That happened to me on the launch day of iPad 3. I had set up my new device, and the following morning I had an app that installed with the transaction having been initiated in China. The app cost $9.99 but the in app purchases depleted a store credit I had of over $100.00. Customer Service credited my account by the end of day (on a Saturday), and I changed my password to something much more complex.

Fortunately I have not had this happen since that time, but this is the reason I never use a credit card for my iTunes account. I always purchase gift cards and maintain a store credit.

Sent using iCafe app on my Retina Display iPad.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

PW: $#574AGbfhrtu^^$%!@++6Ag

That ought to do it. :D

11. smelton3

smelton3 Member
    Bronze

How do you know my password? Freaky!

Sent using iCafe app on my Retina Display iPad.