Apple ID & iCloud "alternate Apple ID"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've searched for this a little, and now I'm even more confused than when I started.
When one logs into My Apple ID, here https://appleid.apple.com/ there is a field, "Alternate Apple ID".

Can that field be changed, anywhere? The reports online seem to say no, albeit, some seem to say otherwise, but the said steps don't work...

Thanks in advance
Ivan

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I see an "Alternate email address" field, but not "Alternate Apple ID" when I log in.

Are you having problems with your account? What are you trying to acheive? Do you want to change your Apple ID to another email address?

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've searched for this a little, and now I'm even more confused than when I started.
When one logs into My Apple ID, here https://appleid.apple.com/ there is a field, "Alternate Apple ID".

Can that field be changed, anywhere? The reports online seem to say no, albeit, some seem to say otherwise, but the said steps don't work...

Thanks in advance
Ivan
You should be able to edit that email address. When I log into my Apple ID, I have an option to add an "alternate email address" to my account. However, I don't see an Alternate Apple ID.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You should be able to edit that email address. When I log into my Apple ID, I have an option to add an "alternate email address" to my account. However, I don't see an Alternate Apple ID.
It doesn't have an edit button next to it like the primary Apple ID does. I had a similar problem on the same site a few years back, but it was with an email address rather than an Apple ID. I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but I think I had to log into my other Apple ID account and remove it there first.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It doesn't have an edit button next to it like the primary Apple ID does. I had a similar problem on the same site a few years back, but it was with an email address rather than an Apple ID. I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but I think I had to log into my other Apple ID account and remove it there first.
I don't have a secondary email address linked to my Apple ID. I'm wondering though if just removing the alternate email will do the trick. Of course, you would just re-add the alternate email. It doesn't make sense to me why there would be no edit button.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
My profile says I own an iMac. Never bought one or had one. It also lists an iPhone 4, which I did own over a year ago. The iMac has a serial no. I wish it were mine.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

odedo1

Jan 15, 2015
Everybody got at least 2 Apple IDs.
In my case I got 3:
*****@hotmail.com
*****@iCloud.com
*****@me.com
I can log in to the same account with all 3 of them.
I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Everybody got at least 2 Apple IDs.
In my case I got 3:
*****@hotmail.com
*****@iCloud.com
*****@me.com
I can log in to the same account with all 3 of them.
I hope that helps.

They changed @me.com to @icloud.com. So those are the same account. And hotmail must be your alternate.

odedo1

Jan 15, 2015
That's not exactly right, you can still use@me
All you have to do is go to Settings, iCloud, roll all the way down to Advanced and touch Mail, you'll discover that iCloud is turn on ( green), you can also turn on @me if you still want to use it

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That's not exactly right, you can still use@me
All you have to do is go to Settings, iCloud, roll all the way down to Advanced and touch Mail, you'll discover that iCloud is turn on ( green), you can also turn on @me if you still want to use it

Sorry, I meant they serve the same purpose. I know you can still use it. I never had it. I started my iDevice use with @icloud. They didn't offer @me. They changed it. But, yeah, it's still useable.