Apple iPay and iOS 8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BCCSuperSizeIt, Oct 22, 2014.

1. BCCSuperSizeIt

Bronze

When I updated to iOS 8.1 i had to go through of an abbreviated process of setting up my phone again like it was new.
    When my iPhone 6 Plus restarted I got a dialog box telling me to get a new sim card to enable functionality.
    I am thinking this is for iPay.

I'm going to the AT&T after work to check on this but does this sound reasonable?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The first part happened to me ("abbreviated process of setting up my phone again like it was new.")

About getting a new SIM card... no, that doesn't sound right at all. But a quick Google search revealed that you're not the only one this has happened to. No definitive answer seems to be available yet.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The SIM card is for your cellular AT&T service. Apple Pay is completely unrelated to this. The phone cannot be activated without an active, working SIM card and it needs to activate after each restore. It sounds like there is a problem with you SIM that is inhibiting activation. Try removing the SIM card and reseating it. You can remove it with a paperclip. The SIM tray is on the right side of the phone. If it still doesn't recognize it, go to AT&T to get a replacement. They will give it to you for free.