Apple iPhone 3G can meet demand. RIM scared

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I found this interesting article posted on Yahoo Financial website.

http://www.bestcashcow.com/technology/article/aronliv/iphone-3g-supply-can-meet-demand-rimm-scared

The above link states:

"The device was unveiled a week ago. Even now, the lines are extraordinary with waiting times to purchase at most Apple stores in the US are between 3 and 5 hours (some places longer). Extra staff have been added and the 15 largest stores are now each selling 1000 devices an hour. Added security has been added to control crowds. The inventory delivered to most ATT retail outlets has been so quickly exhausted that most outlets are taking names for a "will call" list saying that they will call in 15 days when it is your turn to purchase. Apple has cancelled all planned advertising."

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
First of all its RIM not RIMM. The iPhone is for sure in high demand but I promise you RIM could care less. With all the MobileMe and exchange problems I promise you RIM is not sweating. I don't trust any article That cant even get the companies right. RIM and The Blackberry, They have their nitch and the iPhone is not taking too much away from it. Not to mention all the huge companies that use Enterprise, something that Apple doesn't support.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
First of all its RIM not RIMM. I don't trust any article That cant even get the companies right.

WRONG...This article was written for investing, economic related sites, thereforee, the use of RIMM which is the Nasdaq symbol for Research in Motion LTD.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
First of all its RIM not RIMM. The iPhone is for sure in high demand but I promise you RIM could care less.
Wrong RIMM and iPhone are in direct competition for the US smartphone market and rim sees Apple closing in as they make the iPhone more businesss friendly with exchange support. The iPhone is not there yet but possibly in the near future with a iPhone pro or through software upgrades it will be a strong competitor in the businesss segment. Surely it is already taking some businesss away from rim right now. The only thing rim has going is nice keyboards and email/enterprise push. They are going to lose market share to Apple in the coming years.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
First of all its RIM not RIMM. The iPhone is for sure in high demand but I promise you RIM could care less. With all the MobileMe and exchange problems I promise you RIM is not sweating. I don't trust any article That cant even get the companies right. RIM and The Blackberry, They have their nitch and the iPhone is not taking too much away from it. Not to mention all the huge companies that use Enterprise, something that Apple doesn't support.
My company uses enterprise and it works flawlessly on the iPhone 3G. I have read about a lot of problems with the new iPhone and exchange is not one of them.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I know of two major corporations that have stopped supporting RIM devices because of the licensing costs.

RIM is the top dog, but their BES server technology is antiquated and now faces fierce competition from Exchange / ActiveSync. For those companies still using Lotus and Novell, BES is about their only enterprise solution for messaging, but for the vast majority of corporations out there, Exchange / ActiveSync is the solution of choice.

Now that Apple supports ActiveSync, the iPhone can compete directly with RIM. I can assure you that the folks at RIM aren't naive enough to think the iPhone isn't a threat to them. Even if Apple takes 10% of their market share, that's HUGE. Looking at the sales numbers for 3G and seeing how many people around my office have ditched their Crackberries for an iPhone this last week... I would say that's possible Apple will put that big of a dent in their businesss.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Keep in mind Good is also used by a bunch of big companies. I have both several Blackberrys and both iPhones. I can tell you right now for powerful businesss tools, RIM holds the top ranks. For entertainment purposes sure the iPhone wins. But from a businesss standpoint 99% of companies need productivity, not flashy UI's. You cannot compare the productivity of Blackberrys, HTC, Samsung PDA's and Palms to an iPhone I still say they are in 2 different markets. And both have their place. I just don't see companies ditching their current phone choices for iPhones. We haven't seen it yet. But I doubt it would happen.
I am not talking about the guy who uses his BB for work, then switches to the iPhone, hell you will see hundreds of thousands of people doing that. I am talking about Phones that are geared to take full advantage of corporate integrated servers. Thats great that the iPhone can do exchange now, but it cant take full advantage of enterprise servers. Not like the WinMo and BB phones can. This is all personal opinion from using all these devices on corporate servers.RIM will lose a bunch of its entertainment sector. Lets face it until the Bold is released, even the curve has been lackluster in the looks and fun form factor department. Even the programs being developed for the BB are lacking, the SDK's used to create them are years old.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I question the "businesss productivity" of any tiny hand held device. 99% of what you need there is email, contacts, calendar and a web browser. Very few people if any are hacking out advanced spreadsheets on a hand held. iPhone does all these things well and with a huge fucking screen and a great UI. Bye, bye RIM.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I question the "businesss productivity" of any tiny hand held device. 99% of what you need there is email, contacts, calendar and a web browser. Very few people if any are hacking out advanced spreadsheets on a hand held. iPhone does all these things well and with a huge fucking screen and a great UI. Bye, bye RIM.
Bingo. I'm a reformed BB user. The vast majority of the BB users do nothing more than exchange email in real-time and do calendaring in real-time. They use them to set meetings, make calls, send emails and do text messaging. That's all I used mine for... and now I use an iPhone.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I wouldn't say the majority. I fall into that category but I wouldn't say the majority does. I think the bulk of BB users are major corporations. BES can do a lot of stuff, keeps you and every employee on every level in the company in touch, ota syncing and managing of every account, and thats just touching the service.

I work for AT&T and I'm exposed to the major corporate operations that a lot of companies do. For instance Chevron. There is no way they could ever get by on the iPhone. But yes for the average guy, BB or iPhone from a features standpoint should do us fine. don't get me started on MMS though lol.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Whatever with the who uses what phone for what purpose.

Bottom line is, this phone is sold out everywhere. The demand is HUGE.

If RIM supporters and companies don't blink and think they have nothing to worry about, they will go the route of Nokia. Nokia DOMINATED the cell phone market, then fell off the radar and were one of the last companies to even supply a simple color screen on phones.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
If RIM wants to stay viable, they're going to have to bring their UI up to date. You can say the iPhone is all flash and no function, but that's not true (not that anyone has really said that). What the iPhone has proved is that once again people like style, ease of use, and intuitive controls. If RIM could slap an iPhone interface on their devices - watch out Apple. But can they pull it off?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

If RIM supporters and companies don't blink and think they have nothing to worry about, they will go the route of Nokia. Nokia DOMINATED the cell phone market, then fell off the radar and were one of the last companies to even supply a simple color screen on phones.
although I agree with what you say in theory you are dead wrong on Nokia. They are far and away the worldwide leader in sales. They have some of the more innovative phones on the market. The only problemis they don't work well with the US carriers and their policies. That's why we usually just see the bottom line Nokia phones here. The Nokia n95 8gb north American edition will match up well against any phone you put it up against. Problem is Nokia could care less about the US market and figures their advertising $ is better spent elsewhere.

I agree the iPhone is on it's way as far as corporate use. Blackberry undoubtedly is still king of the hill but iPhone is putting a scare into rim. Look at the upcoming Blackberry Thunder. The iPhone is the reason Blackberry is bringing it out. Apple is just getting started but I think before all is said and done rim will have a battle on their hands. Apple will however have to loosen up the iPhone a little. Bluetooth file transfer and a file browser is a must.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008

You need to do some homework on the world cellular market. Nokia is by far The largest provider, Samsung is second now I believe. Its simple supply and demand. iPhones are sold out in the US because of the limited quantities being shipped. And I bet 300,000 of those 1 million sold were returned. I am not bashing the iPhone at all don't get me wrong, I have one and I like it. But selling 1 million, in 22 countries in 3 days isn't any record setting number.

Just because AT&T has 2 nokia models on the sales floor, doesn't mean they have fell off. Quite far from it. Gotta get outside of the bubble and start looking at the global market.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
If RIM wants to stay viable, they're going to have to bring their UI up to date. You can say the iPhone is all flash and no function, but that's not true (not that anyone has really said that). What the iPhone has proved is that once again people like style, ease of use, and intuitive controls. If RIM could slap an iPhone interface on their devices - watch out Apple. But can they pull it off?
Agreed, I think the OS is behind the function because that was RIM's primary focus, function. Lets face it navigating through a curve isn't exactly exciting. The new 4.5 os for the curves being release as we speak is still outdated but is a tad bit better . 4.6 on the new Bold is also getting there. The touch screen blackberry thunder I think will really give the iPhone a run for its money. The UI on that sucker looks incredible. The OS on the iPhone is arguably the best on the market ever.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I agree the iPhone is on it's way as far as corporate use. Blackberry undoubtedly is still king of the hill but iPhone is putting a scare into rim. Look at the upcoming Blackberry Thunder. The iPhone is the reason Blackberry is bringing it out.
That is actually incorrect. The Thunder was in development before the Bold. I think they first started development in 2004. But RIM is very good about testing and making sure the public receives a literally perfect product. And can even improve on that through OS updates. In all honesty with the bug's we are all experiencing, Apple could learn a thing or 2 from RIM about product development and testing.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That is actually incorrect. The Thunder was in development before the Bold. I think they first started development in 2004. But RIM is very good about testing and making sure the public receives a literally perfect product. And can even improve on that through OS updates. In all honesty with the bug's we are all experiencing, Apple could learn a thing or 2 from RIM about product development and testing.
But, but, but... then we would still be waiting on our v1 phones to be released! :D

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
The Blackberry Bold...

I'm not impressed. It has a tiny little screen and the interface appears to be nothing new... the same-old-same-old.

It's not impressive. It will be gone from the product line in 2 years or less.

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
The Blackberry Bold...

I'm not impressed. It has a tiny little screen and the interface appears to be nothing new... the same-old-same-old.

It's not impressive. It will be gone from the product line in 2 years or less.
Almost every phone on the market is gone from the product line in 2 years. The v1 only lasted 1. Honestly the Bold is nothing ground breaking other than its RIM's fist GSM 3g phone. Thats a great answer to the crackberrys and BB businesss users. I don't think the bold is in the same country as far as competition for the iPhone. Totally different demographics.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That only works if you don't admit that the 3G is something like 80+% V1 technology with the exact same user interface, CPU, screen, etc.