Apple iPhone Trade-In Program...Good deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Sharunda, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hey everyone, @chris has informed us of Apple's iPhone Trade-In program. While it seems appealing, and might be a logical, money saving thing to do, what are your thoughts on this?

I usually make a deal with Gazelle and get a pretty good quote from them, but I might be swayed to take advantage of Apple's program come September 21 or 22nd. I dare not go anywhere near an Apple store on the 20th.

I'm thinking if I can get upwards of $300 from Apple towards my new iPhone 5S then I might just go ahead and do it. That would be just for the convenience factor. Gazelle quoted me $350 for my 64GB iPhone 5. I will take nothing less than $300 from Apple but I think they can meet Gazelle's quote with no problem. If Apple is offering anything less than $300 for my iPhone 5, I'll go with Gazelle, but that will mean the entire cost of the iPhone 5S out of my pocket now and the recoup a few weeks later. If I went with Apple I would have way less $ out of pocket when I buy the iP5S rather than waiting for $ from Gazelle.

What are you guys thinking of doing if anything at all? Would you do a deal with Apple?

#1 Sharunda, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

$280 maximum trade value (according to the Wall Street Journal)? No thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Alrighty then! I guess Gazelle is it for me!

Thanks @Napoleon_PhoneApart

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I found out that GameStop gave $500 for a used iPhone 5. That is great!

Sent using iCafe app

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Store credit?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Blah I didn't even think about that. I don't recall him telling me if it was pure cash or store credit, but I'm assuming store credit as I have learned that cash is much less due to the percentage cut.

But store credit helped me out when I sold stuff to them. I got gas cards.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why is everyone so opposed to selling through craigslist or eBay? The online pawnshops like gazelle make a killing. They buy your iPhone and put it right up on eBay and turn a profit - the profit you could have easily made. I sold an iPhone in about an hour on craigslist and met the guy at the local grocery store (for security). Signing up for an account and posting the ad took ten minutes. You get your money faster that way, too.

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Oh, I'm not opposed to eBay. PayPal and me aren't friends right now, so
    I won't be doing that. My hubby can though and I thought about doing it on his account.

I have never used Craig's List for anything. Getting cash in hand is better. I might try that out just to see how much I'd get.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I see that you already decided to go with Gazelle--but if you had chosen to take advantage of Apple's program on September 21st or 22nd, do you think there would have been any iPhone 5S's left in stock for you to purchase/upgrade to at your local Apple store on those dates? From what I understand, you must make your iPhone upgrade purchase at the moment of trade-in (i.e. they will not issue you an Apple card for use at a later date). So if you want to upgrade on launch date and you want to use Apple's trade-in program, you're pretty much looking at camping out and all the unpleasantries that come with that.

Apple's trade-in program sounds great, but they need to make some tweaks to accommodate those who want to use it for the purchase of an iPhone 5S. Right now, it seems the only way you will know what Apple would offer you on your particular device is to camp out.

I purchased my iPhone 4 at an Apple store on launch date. I camped out. I was #8 in line--a line that was entirely unofficial, as the Dadeland Apple store in Miami, FL, provided no help whatsoever in establishing law and order for that chaotic night. Perhaps they've made some improvements to the camping out experience since then--I would not know.

Here are some pics that I took that night, on my 3GS. =) That sign-in sheet you see? Again, it was unofficial. A thoughtful customer made it and brought it in him/herself.

#9 Rafagon, Aug 30, 2013
  10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon - yes, i did decide on Gazelle. I dealt with them last year and it was good so I figured i'd do it again even though i can get more on eBay. I'm now thinking better of it and my hubbies account on eBay might be the move.

As to stock being available, there will be stock in the Flagship 5th Avenue store on the 21st and 22nd. The only days I'd be able to go. They KEEP STOCK in there. They are open 24hours and the only thing that would happen is they would start iPhone sales at 6:00am like they did before when i went the day after launch day to get my iPhone 3GS. The same thing happened when i got my iPhone 4. I went the day after launch day and the line was short and the security was high and they started at 6am. I don't have a doubt that if I go early on the 21st or the 22nd I'd get a phone. No camping out for me. Never have and never will.

But all that aside. I'm not going to take advantage of the Apple Trade in Program. I read how it works. They aren't offering enough money. You're right, they need to make tweaks to the program. I'll put all my money up to buy the iP5S and sell my iPhone 5 either to Gazelle or on eBay or possibly Craig's list this time around. I want the most I can get for it.

Your pics are wild. Looks like fun though.

#10 Sharunda, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's my input on selling through craigslist/eBay, which is likely not a concern for many of you: I haven't used eBay in years, and craigslist, never. Are people willing to purchase from someone with no history/rating? Gazelle seems willing to give me more than enough without the added effort of a face-to-face meet-up. Additionally, an in-person meet-up opens you up to the possibility that the person you're meeting may have less than benevolent intentions.

Granted, getting an extra $100 or more via Craigslist to buy a couple of these (or, less importantly, groceries and toilet paper) would be very, very nice.

I'm assuming my current iPhone 5's Defender Otterbox will not be 5S-friendly [Why?]. Additionally the 5S's fingerprint-decoding Home Button would be entirely covered by my current Defender case.

I'm torn. But I have nothing to lose. Let me go set up a craigslist account. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

#11 Rafagon, Aug 30, 2013
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, they are. I sold it an hour after I posted it. I had another person who was interested in that time frame, too.

That's why use my backup phone number and meet at a grocery store.

I wouldn't say it was added effort. It only takes 10 minutes to set up an account and post. You have to drive to the post office or UPS. You could just as easily drive to a meet spot. You have to send emails to gazelle. You could just as easily text or talk to the buyer.

#12 Europa, Aug 30, 2013
  13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You're totally right. There really is no significant added effort. I was quick to say that because I don't own a car, which kinda makes me a cripple here in Miami. But I've created my craigslist account and my iPhone 5 is now listed there, as you're aware. The meeting place I suggested is a Walgreens at a major intersection which is only a ten-minute walk from my house (whereas the trip to drop off my phone at FedEx for a Gazelle shipment would've been a bit more of a hassle to arrange for a carless Rafagon). This suggested meeting place is easily accessible to most anyone in Miami. I'm willing to take public transportation further out if the potential buyer is absolutely not interested in driving himself/herself to my suggested meeting spot, so I explicitly stated in my craiglist add that I was "open to suggestions" as far as a meeting place was concerned.

I have a second line with AT&T which is currently is connected to my old 3GS (which I gave to my mom and she uses it once in a blue moon), and a quick call to AT&T will transfer my unlimited text-plan to the 3GS if a potential buyer contacts me with an immediate intention to buy. My mom is totally willing to loan it to me while I secure my 5S, so I shouldn't have to deal with a gap in phone or text service. It will be a bit frustrating to use apps on the 3GS that run in can what only be described as slow-motion after using them on a 5, but I will survive. Heck, just going to the phone app and calling someone seems like slow-motion on the 3GS... =)

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you getting any subsidization, @Rafagon? I checked on Apple.com and it shows October 25th 2013 for partial for me. When I check via text, it just says full discount September 2014.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just watched a 16 GB iPhone 5 jump from $395 to $423 in the last two minutes of bidding on eBay. Don't let gazelle or Apple get your profit. eBay or Craigslist are the way to go.

image.jpg

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I would recommend your best bet to get a straight answer is to call them (AT&T) up, and speak to an operator (who sounds competent to you). Hang up and call back if you don't trust the person you get on your first attempt. Once you land a competent-sounding human, ask for his or her name. Mine gave me his first name and last name. I will PM you his name and you could always try asking for him. Say that he was previously helping you with an issue and insist on talking to him. My guy sounded human and not robotic. The call did not seem outsourced judging by his command of the English langauge, something that always gives me a sense of security, though it may well be false sense of security at that.

I will be getting full subsidization; this is thanks to having two lines, which become eligible for full subsidization on alternating years.

I made sure to confirm this on both AT&T's website and a live human working at one of AT&T's call centers.

From the AT&T website:
    • You're eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price. Click here to upgrade multiple lines.
      You're eligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade with no upgrade fee."
    I noticed that they are very quick to point out my eligibility for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade, and how they eagerly pointed out that if I go with the AT&T Next plan I would have no upgrade fee.

When I text *639# (*NEW#) to check out my eligibility for subsidization, they point out that I "am eligible for an AT&T Next installment plan upgrade" first. They mention the less-profitable-for-them "standard upgrade today with a 2-year service agreement and a $36 upgrade fee" second.

They are so desperate for people to fall for their AT&T Next artifice.

For a plan that was just announced a little over six weeks ago, they sure were quick to include a mention of it anywhere and everywhere that they possibly could. It even made its way already to the AT&T mobile app, when you tap on "Check upgrade eligibility."

#16 Rafagon, Aug 31, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Chiming in
    I sold my 4s (worldwide unlocked mint condition) end of June for $449 on e-bay
    I sold some at Craig's list before which I prefer but seems last time I got resellers try to haggle the price below trade in prices
    I had a great deal with Amazon before and at a local phone repair store (for cash) too. With 3 phone lines I have done some selling/trading.
    This time around I got sons black 64GB iPhone 5. Problem! Scuffing at that phone is really bad and so I may really only can trade it in. Maybe I can get a fix place to cover those ?
    Anyway it helps to have an unlocked phone.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Yeah. I've got to set this up on my hubbies eBay account to sell it. I will also see about Craig's List but I'm thinking eBay might be the way to go for me now. I've got to get as much as I can for this iPhone 5.

#18 Sharunda, Aug 31, 2013
  19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Europa do you think Apple would move your October date to anything closer to the preorder date if you asked them? I'm figuring they might if you ask since it is so close.

When I checked the Apple store app, it said that i can buy the iPhone 5 on September 15th at a (partial) subsidized price. I'm figuring that would translate over to the purchase of the iPhone 5S when it comes out. I was thinking of calling and asking AT&T if they would move the date up a few days. Or maybe it would change before the announcement. I just want to get my iPhone delivered to me on launch day. I don't want to take the trip to the city if i don't have to. I'm spoiled by home delivery on launch day. There is nothing like it! LOL!

20. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I sold my 16GB ATT iPhone 4s in 7 minutes for 370. That also happened to be my minimum automatic accept best offer lol. These things go fast on ebay.