Apple is making us pay for the free cases with "Lightning".

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

teefar

Bronze
Mar 13, 2009
We're kinda stuck paying $19 or $29 for a cable or adapter. Thats all is that "authentication chip" we're hearing of is true. Im hoping some of these Chinese manufacturers are able duplicate the chip.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
We're kinda stuck paying $19 or $29 for a cable or adapter. Thats all is that "authentication chip" we're hearing of is true. Im hoping some of these Chinese manufacturers are able duplicate the chip.
Time will tell. I ordered 2 adaptors last week before the reports about the chip!

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I felt like Apple could have sent us adaptors due to the lack of the cable sbeing available. But, I guess they need to make that big money and they know we need the adaptors and cables and will be forced to buy them.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
What I gathered from the title is that the OP is stating that Apple might be trying to recoup the money they spent last time (the launch of 4) sending everyone bumpers or cases by charging for the adaptors. I personally understand them charging for cables but feel like the adaptor should have been free given that now we have to keep up with that one cable for home, car and office until the other cables are available.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
When HTC or Samsung moved from Mini USB to Micro USB, they didn't offer you an adapter did they? I don't understand why people expect something for free because they were lucky enough to be able to use the same connection for 10 years! Use the money you saved from not getting different car chargers and home chargers for the past 10 years and buy an adapter.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
When HTC or Samsung moved from Mini USB to Micro USB, they didn't offer you an adapter did they? I don't understand why people expect something for free because they were lucky enough to be able to use the same connection for 10 years! Use the money you saved from not getting different car chargers and home chargers for the past 10 years and buy an adapter.
Good point obviously. My question is were the Micro USB cables already readily available on the market and did you have to have a "special" one in order to sync/charge those devices? I'm asking because I really don't know. Please don't bite my head off:coffee:

teefar

Bronze
Mar 13, 2009
What I gathered from the title is that the OP is stating that Apple might be trying to recoup the money they spent last time (the launch of 4) sending everyone bumpers or cases by charging for the adaptors. I personally understand them charging for cables but feel like the adaptor should have been free given that now we have to keep up with that one cable for home, car and office until the other cables are available.
Yes, thank you sir. I'm amazed that nobody understood what I meant.

teefar

Bronze
Mar 13, 2009
I don't want anything for free, but $19 and $29 is robbery. I'm cool with the change...

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
The Apple cables are not durable enough quality to carry one around constantly. Every Apple accessory is overpriced but they really overdid it with the adapter.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
O well. It was time for a change. Suck it up. I did. I already bought an extra cable.
Easier said than done at the moment, cables are back ordered. And people won't get them for weeks. So in effect people have one charger for the next month which is a reasonable problem when you charge your iPhone at a variety of places.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Recoup money? Don't they already have more cash on hand than the U.S. treasury? And didn't they just win a lawsuit against Samsung for a billion dollars? I don't think Apple needs to “recoup” anything. O_o