Apple is making us pay for the free cases with "Lightning".

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Recoup money? Don't they already have more cash on hand than the U.S. treasury? And didn't they just win a lawsuit against Samsung for a billion dollars? I don't think Apple needs to “recoup” anything. O_o

Just speculation. Can I have my head back that you just chewed off?!

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Free cases were given to early buyers of the iPhone 4 because of the "Death Grip" issue. He's saying that by charging everyone for the new adapter instead of giving them out for free, they are recouping lost money from the free cases. I understand what he's saying perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I have a hard time spending $60 on adaptors, that's a little absurd to me. I need one for the car and whatever which way I go I have to wait 2-3 weeks for it. What and how much money does it take for the richest company in the world to have that ready at launch day? Not phones, adaptors.

Let me repeat, adaptors not nuclear warheads.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Yes, thank you sir. I'm amazed that nobody understood what I meant.
I thought it might be that, but for a second I thought you might be talking about the new earphone travel case. You could've briefly mentioned what you meant; you were assuming everyone reading this was aware of the iPhone 4 Case Program.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have a hard time spending $60 on adaptors, that's a little absurd to me. I need one for the car and whatever which way I go I have to wait 2-3 weeks for it. What and how much money does it take for the richest company in the world to have that ready at launch day? Not phones, adaptors.

Let me repeat, adaptors not nuclear warheads.
A couple of things weren't ready at launch, Ben! Look at Maps. And some might argue that Passbook isn't fully baked.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Did I understand correctly that the adapters don't support audio? My car stereo came with a cable that had USB & auxiliary (1 end of cable) & the 30 pin connector on the other end. I could plug my phone in & put it on iPod & control everything with the stereo. I could set my stereo on auxiliary & watch YouTube vids etc through my car speakers. It would also charge my phone. Is the adapter gonna support all this?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Did I understand correctly that the adapters don't support audio? My car stereo came with a cable that had USB & auxiliary (1 end of cable) & the 30 pin connector on the other end. I could plug my phone in & put it on iPod & control everything with the stereo. I could set my stereo on auxiliary & watch YouTube vids etc through my car speakers. It would also charge my phone. Is the adapter gonna support all this?
They do support audio:

http://m.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
It better! I'm in the same boat - recently had the same cable put in my swagger wagon for my 4.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Good point obviously. My question is were the Micro USB cables already readily available on the market and did you have to have a "special" one in order to sync/charge those devices? I'm asking because I really don't know. Please don't bite my head off:coffee:
They weren't readily available but they did have car chargers at the store when released. But you can't compare the demand of the iPhone with the demand of any other phone. Apple lost a ton of money by not having enough adapters but I guess that's the price they paid for secrecy. For now I bought an extra cable for $19 and am using a $5 USB car charger that I connect it to.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Easier said than done at the moment, cables are back ordered. And people won't get them for weeks. So in effect people have one charger for the next month which is a reasonable problem when you charge your iPhone at a variety of places.
They have plenty at my Apple store.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I plugged mine into my wife's 2012 Honda pilot and it worked. I used the cable that came with the phone. It plugs into a USB port that came in the vehicle.

Smarty2600

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
They have plenty at my Apple store.
Oh I don't know, I have heard people had trouble tracking down extra cables. And even online at the Apple store it says it'll take 1-2 weeks to ship. I don't own an iPhone 5 and don't plan on buying one so I maybe your experience is more accurate

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I plugged mine into my wife's 2012 Honda pilot and it worked. I used the cable that came with the phone. It plugs into a USB port that came in the vehicle.
yes I can simply plug the USB end into my stereo but it recognizes it as a USB & on the phone it says unsupported & throws up the icon ⚠

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm thinking I'm gonna have the same problem. Something as simple as a computer update on the car won't fix that? I'm just guessing here.