Apple is silently tracking everything!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Time to go get the tinfoil hats. I know I've got mine sitting it my cube at work :)

But seriously, who really cares. You are tracked in everything you do in one manner or another.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Time to go get the tinfoil hats. I know I've got mine sitting it my cube at work :)

But seriously, who really cares. You are tracked in everything you do in one manner or another.
true that.

i don't mind it either. i mean, i figure i'm some crazy super-star in japan so it's all good.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Oh no! Apple knows that I have stock in General Electric I'm going to die!

Seriously. It's weather and stocks.

g-man

Oct 20, 2007
I just read on iphonehacks.com that it was through the weather and stocks app that they are tracking all IMEI's. not the calc app. all they need is your name ans SS# and they can tell exactly where you are in a few min anyway. Got to love big Bro.

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Actually, this IS a big deal. It's hard to know how benign Apple's intentions are, but that's secondary to the intrusion of privacy involved. When Microsoft does things like this, people are in an uproar; when it's Apple, no problem?

Although most of us do not feel the direct effects of data mining (in general, and not just pertaining to Apple), it can have serious repercussions, from stolen information to government monitoring of your actions. And btw, there are people who could make good and illegal use by studying the stocks that people are watching in aggregate or the stocks that particular influential people are constantly monitoring.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Actually, this IS a big deal. It's hard to know how benign Apple's intentions are, but that's secondary to the intrusion of privacy involved. When Microsoft does things like this, people are in an uproar; when it's Apple, no problem?

Although most of us do not feel the direct effects of data mining (in general, and not just pertaining to Apple), it can have serious repercussions, from stolen information to government monitoring of your actions. And btw, there are people who could make good and illegal use by studying the stocks that people are watching in aggregate or the stocks that particular influential people are constantly monitoring.
There is definitely truth in the bold statement.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW

Yeah Apple ain't some government agency to intrude our privacy. This is only a start from Apple.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
True, this info could be used for evil purposes, but I believe that it is just authenticating that it is actually an iPhone using the info. Otherwise anyone could snag the url and use it on other devices. Just a thought...

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I am more worried

I am more worried about google funding a DNA testing company than Apple knowing what weather/stocks I follow. Is google trying to create a database with all my DNA?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So it might be more than Weather and Stocks. Do I care? No.

If this was Microsoft or Google, I might be a little bit more freaked. But I, unlike the Apple haters here, trust Apple and have no problem with knowing what song I'm listening to or seeing the picture of the pond I just took.

Just my opinion, it doesn't mean other people can't be freaked out.

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
If they really want to see that I am using my map to see where the pubs are at and that I watch stupid stuff on YouTube or even that I am interested in wearing a sweater tomorrow they are more than welcome to waste their money. Hell, maybe they will make it easier for me to find a good pint while wearing a sweater I saw on YouTube!

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
sure

I think it's funny that it's weather and stocks. I mean, do THAT many people use Stocks? (I actually use both quite often)
I use both...everyone wants to know the weather and I think most users of the iPhone (people that want the latest and greatest) would at least follow a few stocks.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've always said that a little bit of haldoperidol, along with the fluoride, in the tap water would go a long way in preventing delusional paranoia and mythical thinking.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I click on stocks once every couple days just 'cause it's there and I paid for it so I'ma gonna use it, dammit! It's, uh.... pretty! Me : Finances as Oil : Water.

As for privacy, I agree with the theory that the IMEI string is for authorization purposes only. Apple's not perfect, but seriously, what purpose would it serve them to cull this data? They have bigger fish to fry.