Apple is spying on us !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
did you guys know about this?

So now that it's out that Apple is spying on you, people have been clamoring for a way to hide your IMEI from the all-seeing eye of Apple's Stocks and Weather applications. These apps send your IMEI as well as your iPhone firmware version to Apple for their nefarious usage statistic processing.

This is a big deal, because the IMEI is sent in plaintext, over any Wi-fi network you may currently be connected to. So anyone listening on that network will be able to grab your IMEI and do stuff with it, like, um, yeah, I'm not sure they can do anything with it.

Until now you just had to avoid the Stocks and Weather apps and/or wrap your phone in tin foil to prevent them from reading your thoughts.

Concomitantly, I have produced a simple command-line utility to patch out the nefarious code from Stocks and Weather allowing you to check your portfolio and the weather without worrying about sending your IMEI to Apple.

What the utility does is scan for the URL that the app uses to talk to Apple, and zeroes out the part where it includes your IMEI.

Download now (binary and source)

Source is included because open-source is the bomb. It also makes backups because you may want to start sending your IMEI again. You know, if they get to you.

Right now the patcher does not prevent Stocks or Weather from functioning but as the Stocks and Weather functionality is served from Apple, they could easily disable patched applications remotely. So if they stop working you'll have a fair idea why.

And while you're installing dangerous 3rd party software onto your iPhone, why not also try some hilarious 3rd party software too? You won't regret it.

all this was found at nate's blog

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
lmao.. this has been posted before and i think another website put something out that showed that they werent actually spying...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What reaction do I have to this? I laugh.

You need to realize, that nowadays, people are watching you whether you like it or not. I've learned to deal with that. And saying that Apple is using the information for "Nefarious" purposes is overdoing it. Of all the major companies out there, Apple would be my pick if one of them had to "spy on me".

- John

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
what the hell are you babbling about Apple already has your imei anyway so what the hell is the big deal? they could look at anyphone they want nitwit THEY MADE THEM they could see what your looking at in your camera if they really wanted to thats the same with any cell manufacturer

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
what the hell are you babbling about Apple already has your imei anyway so what the hell is the big deal? they could look at anyphone they want nitwit THEY MADE THEM they could see what your looking at in your camera if they really wanted to thats the same with any cell manufacturer
No MAN...The man is watching you! EVERYONE PUT TINFOIL ON YOUR HEADS QUICK! Major League Baseball is spying on you! ( I pray at least one person catches this reference!)

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
No MAN...The man is watching you! EVERYONE PUT TINFOIL ON YOUR HEADS QUICK! Major League Baseball is spying on you! ( I pray at least one person catches this reference!)
Apple might have to hire mark McGwire to come out and hit some dingers for us intill we forget that Apple was even spying on us.