Apple is very smart if you think about it...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Most people are yelling and screaming about why Apple has closed the iPhone and controlling the software. If anyone here has had a Treo, then you can understand the havoc that 3rd party apps can provide. I agree, that some 3rd party apps can provide nice functionality, but I remember too many times adding an app which caused my phone to reset continually or crash over and over again. It's not worth it.

Apple will probably allow third party apps and widgets just as they do now in the downloads sections of Apple.com The smart thing is that they can test these before making it available to use on the phone. This makes me comfortable because I don't have to worry about viruses and incompatibility of third party apps. This to me was a smart move. I'm sure any Treo user can testify to that.

Good things coming in the future folks, we just have to be patient enough to wait. After all the phone hasn't even been out for a week yet.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
good points.i agree.

There's been too much complaining for a breakthru device unlike any other that has only been out for a week. Give it some tome. Apple has been very good with addressing most customer needs/complaints.

GuyFawkes

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I agree. We need to keep our expectations in check. The phone already does some amazing things that before Apple demonstrated the iPhone nobody had done before on a phone. Now it is like we assume it has always been "insanely great" and that everyone does this stuff. I am baffled at the people that are whining and complaining on this forum. I encourage them to go back to whatever they were using before and then feel the disappointment. The iPhone will start to look a lot better with some perspective.

The first updates will probably be bug fixes only and will probably address both security and stability. The follow-on updates will probably begin to slowly introduce some of the requested enhancements and functionality that we all want to see. Apple will need to keep these coming if they are going to convince the potential buyers looking at the product right now, but that are saying it looks great "but". Follow through will close the deal for the holdouts. There is huge potential for this product in the corporate environnment and Apple needs to capitalize on it while they can.

I have my fingers crossed that a SDK and some developer support begins to appear to allow apps to be written for the phone by this fall. If the demand stays hot like it is now Christmas is going to be very big for Apple. If they want to keep the momentum going they need to keep coming forward with announced updates and things that keep everyone buzzing about this product. So product enhancements and announcements will be key to that happening. Things like Java and Flash need to happen fairly soon to fill in the glaring holes to this products performance.

So far it has been a very well executed launch. They have had years to prepare for this moment in time. Now how they manage the flow of events will be critical going forward. This now has a life of it's own and is tough to gauge and manage. Several of us in my office have the phones and are showing them off. Lots of folks have gone from vocal opponents to jaw dropped and amazed. Let's see how long before the mojo wears off, or if Apple fails to feed the fire to keep this going. So far it looks good.

GuyFawkes

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Most people are yelling and screaming about why Apple has closed the iPhone and controlling the software. If anyone here has had a Treo, then you can understand the havoc that 3rd party apps can provide. I agree, that some 3rd party apps can provide nice functionality, but I remember too many times adding an app which caused my phone to reset continually or crash over and over again. It's not worth it.
Sorry, but that's not a good reason to stop third party development, especially considering that Apple's recent testing failed to find various iPhone idiosyncracies in its own coding.

If an app makes it unstable, take it out, or don't install it in the first place. That's your choice. Just please don't make that choice for anyone else. People want or need all sorts of applications... and there's no way that Apple itself can or will do them all.

You could argue the same way about your desktop or laptop. So should you unwrap it and never add any other programs? No way! :)

GuyFawkes

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I would normally agree, but in this case I think Apple did it right. There is no way they can possibly ensure the launch of the product if there are a laundry list of unknowns that they are trying to sort out as part of the launch. Especially for a completely new product this makes sense. By controlling everything on the phone at launch they eliminated a lot of variables which should be helping them at this time to support the product in this early stages of public use and make it faster and easier for them to identify the problem areas that need to be fixed.

In the near future I would expect them to open things up for developers. What they have announced so far isn't going to cut it. We just need to be patient. I would look for them to fix their obvious problem areas before they open the door for developers. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and ask yourself if you could call the shots for something this big what would you do to ensure your best chances for success? Things will only get better from here.

GuyFawkes

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Sorry, but that's not a good reason to stop third party development, especially considering that Apple's recent testing failed to find various iPhone idiosyncracies in its own coding.

If an app makes it unstable, take it out, or don't install it in the first place. That's your choice. Just please don't make that choice for anyone else. People want or need all sorts of applications... and there's no way that Apple itself can or will do them all.

You could argue the same way about your desktop or laptop. So should you unwrap it and never add any other programs? No way! :)
KDarling, what I'm saying is that if Apple will test the apps before allowing it onto the phone, I appreciate it because I know that it will work and not cause my phone to malfunction. If you think about it, any app that doesn't work correctly isn't worth offering anyway. It merely forces the designer to jump through a few additional hoops to ensure that the product is compatible. This can only create a better customer experience.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Aye sir, and what I'm saying is that Apple has already proven that they're not good testers ;). Or rather, they didn't employ enough good testers before releasing the phone.

No decent OS would allow apps to crash it anyway. And in fact, this one usually just pops you back to the Home page. No biggie.

Now what I will agree with, and what you might be trying to say, is that Apple probably has an interest in making sure that apps look and feel like other iPhone apps. (Not withstanding the fact that they tried to push web apps on developers with no UI libraries at all.)

Cheers!

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Aye sir, and what I'm saying is that Apple has already proven that they're not good testers ;). Or rather, they didn't employ enough good testers before releasing the phone.

No decent OS would allow apps to crash it anyway. And in fact, this one usually just pops you back to the Home page. No biggie.

Now what I will agree with, and what you might be trying to say, is that Apple probably has an interest in making sure that apps look and feel like other iPhone apps. (Not withstanding the fact that they tried to push web apps on developers with no UI libraries at all.)

Cheers!
As far as testing and implementation, I will take Apple over Microsoft any day. If you notice how OSX has performed compared to Windows 98, Vista, etc. has been full of holes for years. I think Apple may want it to have a certain look, but also ensure that it won't cause more problems as welll.