Apple Lightning

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I saw on a site called PrezzyDeals that they had Lightning Cables of $8.99. I seriously doubt that they are legit...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am mad about the adapter (I use Withings to messure my blood pressure)
I had ordered it before launch with my cables and the day of launch it was moved to back order !
People ordered a phone and adapter got theirs. I ordered before and nada.
The original question was if it snap off but aren't all new speaker boxes etc. wireless/airpaly now?
I haven't received my adapter yet. Still saying October ship date.

I like the lightning plug, but a little pissed about the adapter not supporting video out. I have component cables and a Sony alarm clock that I watch Netflix on. Can't use either anymore.
Thank god it still supports audio out, or the speaker docks and my car dock would also be worthless.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just got the notification that my adapter is shipping. It's coming out of Nashville, TN, so I'll have it by Friday. About damn time.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
And then you are shipping your regular lightning cable to me, right?

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Actually... I've started considering another option... I mean I could spend 20 dollars on another cord... ORRRRR I could put that 20 toward the purchase of a new iPod Nano and then I'd have 2 cords and an iPod and I could probably sell the unopened headphones on ebay for close to 30 bucks. So really I'd be spending 100 dollars on a new ipod nano... lol Please tell me someone agrees with my crazy math...

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Actually... I've started considering another option... I mean I could spend 20 dollars on another cord... ORRRRR I could put that 20 toward the purchase of a new iPod Nano and then I'd have 2 cords and an iPod and I could probably sell the unopened headphones on ebay for close to 30 bucks. So really I'd be spending 100 dollars on a new ipod nano... lol Please tell me someone agrees with my crazy math...
Uhhhh, mmmm....

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Lol I won't be doing that but I really do think like that

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Got my Adapter today. Will post a pic shortly, but I will say now that it's a lot smaller than I was expecting. Need about 3-4 more to cover my needs, as well as modify one to work with my case, since the lightning tab is not long enough to connect with the case on. ( I have several cutouts for speaker, mic, audio jack, and connector. it's not one big hole)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here it is! And while there is no wrong way to insert the lightning part into the phone, there is a wrong way to use the adapter in a dock. Keep that in mind if you get one of these. I connected the adapter to the phone, and then tried to dock. Wasn't happening because it was backwards.
Yes, it's very small.

Btw, so far, haven't gotten audio to work through it.

Attachments

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks its lame that for as much as you pay for one of those they don't enable it to function 100%? What a rip off

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Am I the only one that thinks its lame that for as much as you pay for one of those they don't enable it to function 100%? What a rip off
I agree, but the 30pin connector supported analog out for both video and audio. The lightning port is now digital, so no analog signal can be sent.

** edit** just confirmed that the adapter does not support audio out at all. Piece of $30 junk.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Exactly. I'm reminded of the time When we all bought iPhones when they first came out and then 2 months later they dropped the price 200 dollars and we all complained and got a 100 dollar gift card. Remember? Can't we all complain enough to get some free lightning cables?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, after a call to Apple Support and testing with other devices, it seems that the lightning connector ONLY supports charging and SIMPLE analog audio out. Anything that has higher functions, such as music control, will not work at all.
So 2 of my 4 main devices are useless. Well, my alarm clock still works and can charge my phone, but no more music or Netflix.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
That's just the adaptor right? So if you got just a lightning cable it would work right?

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I mean something I was thinking. Realize now it doesn't apply to your situation lol I was thinking about my car stereo and its iPod controls

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, after a call to Apple Support and testing with other devices, it seems that the lightning connector ONLY supports charging and SIMPLE analog audio out. Anything that has higher functions, such as music control, will not work at all.
So 2 of my 4 main devices are useless. Well, my alarm clock still works and can charge my phone, but no more music or Netflix.
This is not good. :( People are going to flip. Prepare for Lightning-gate.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
This is not good. :( People are going flip. Prepare for Lightning-gate.
Well what the tech asked me to do was contact the manufacturer for a firmware update to my device. I asked him if he understood how crazy it was to ask such a question for a device that doesn't have any type of port for connecting to a pc or to the Internet.
I told him that the plug is supposed to support analog audio out, and so far 2 of my devices don't work. One was my alarm clock- which can't connect to the Internet. And the other was my car dock. The car dock is connected to a Griffin Auto Pilot. It USED to give an error that the device wasn't compatible, but you clicked ok and it worked. Then, with ios5, no more error message.
It boils down to Apple either forgetting to include iPod controls, or can't through the converted adapter. (I think it's that they forgot).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hawk, do you think an iOS update could fix it?