Apple Lightning

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well, so... I get in my car today and take my lightning cable with me. The one that came with the iPhone... It's the first time I tried using it because I had my buddy's iPod for the past few months since I had sold my iPhone 4 when I switched to Verizon. Well... I plug it in and start my music. Now initially it shows the charging symbol at the top. Then it changes to a black screen saying "This charging accessory is not supported!" Or something like that. So it will play my music but it won't charge? Are you kidding me? It charges every other Apple device I've used... So now I have no idea what I'm going to do... This is just stupid...

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
So far not too thrilled with Lightning...

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Sometimes you have to unplug the cable and then plug it back in before it can be recognized. That's worked for me in the past. Hopefully it will for you as well.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
But it was charging already meaning it should have been recognized right? Then it stopped. Ill try again

Jarred

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2011
Had an adapter arrive today, confirmed it works with a Fiio line out adapter for audio.

May 5, 2011
I just tried the adapter with my iMIV Classic iPod player (installed in 2002 Volvo, HU-613) and everything seems to work! (I was worried, because the iMIV company actually told me it would not. Maybe they have to pay to say it does?) It charged, sounded great, HU and steering wheel volume and skip track controls worked. Even the playlists worked through the HU. Very happy about this.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Well, so... I get in my car today and take my lightning cable with me. The one that came with the iPhone... It's the first time I tried using it because I had my buddy's iPod for the past few months since I had sold my iPhone 4 when I switched to Verizon. Well... I plug it in and start my music. Now initially it shows the charging symbol at the top. Then it changes to a black screen saying "This charging accessory is not supported!" Or something like that. So it will play my music but it won't charge? Are you kidding me? It charges every other Apple device I've used... So now I have no idea what I'm going to do... This is just stupid...
If the car doesn't keep the voltage high enough, then it will stop charging, but it will continue to communicate. If that's the case, either the threshold is higher for the new devices, or the lightning cable has greater resistance than whatever cable you were using before, causing it to dip down below that threshold.

See if it keeps it charged if you plug it in when it's already near full.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Anybody know if Apple stores have the adapters in stock now.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Check your local Best Buy as well. I picked up the longer 30 pin to Lightning at our local Best Buy which they had plenty of both in stock last weekend.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's hit and miss. I was at an Apple Store in Vegas 3 weeks ago and they didn't have any cases, Lighting cables or adapters. Then I went back a week later (2 weeks ago) and they had incase cases and lots of Lightning cables and 0.2 m adapters. No short adapters, though.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
When will the knock offs come?!? :(

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Finally broke down and bought another cable for 21 dollars from the Verizon store. Gonna go cancel all my eBay purchases that still haven't been shipped.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Oh and this cable is charging so I guess it was a fluke before.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I am going to be in Modesto Monday and will drop by the Apple store and hopefully pick up a couple of lightning cables. I bought 3 of the adapters on DealChicken and just got notified that the supplier couldn't deliver and they were refunding my money.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I am going to be in Modesto Monday and will drop by the Apple store and hopefully pick up a couple of lightning cables. I bought 3 of the adapters on DealChicken and just got notified that the supplier couldn't deliver and they were refunding my money.
I've see the lightning cables at Walmart & best buy.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
How can you tell if your local Apple store has the .2 lightning adapters without calling? Is there a way to check via the app or website?

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I tried ordering them for next day pick up at an Apple store and that was not an option. The only option was to receive them via mail or delivery service. It would seem that if they were in stock you could do next day pick up. I tried this at about 10:30 pm when their inventory update would allow them to determine If they had any in stock.