Apple logs 4 months’ worth of call history to iCloud sans consent or control

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Rafagon, Nov 17, 2016.

?

Did you know that four months of your call history was being saved by Apple to your iCloud account?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2017.
  1. Yes, I did. I learned that fact from the white paper mentioned in the post.

33.3%
  2. Yes, I did, but I learned about that fact by word-of-mouth, not directly from Apple.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I didn’t! This is the first time I’m hearing about this, and I’m enraged!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I didn’t know, but I don’t really care.

66.7%
  5. I didn’t know! How do I make sure my wife or husband doesn’t find it!?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Macworld reports that Moscow-based Elcomsoft has discovered and announced that “Apple saves up to four months of a user’s call history whenever they are using iCloud Drive.”

Precious little mention is made of this fact: Apple’s security white paper released in May, a PDF document "that few users would ever read,” according to the linked article, is the only place where this is mentioned. Disconcertingly, any mention of this is carelessly omitted from two places where not only an opportunity, but also a duty to disclose this fact exists:
    Why is this important little fact about users’ privacy tucked away in such an abyssopelagic place on Apple’s website? And why is it that one cannot turn it off, save for refraining from any use of iCloud Drive?

Question: If one gets a new phone and syncs it to the iCloud Drive being used by one’s previous phone, does that extensive call log get placed in the new phone’s call history?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Didn't know. Don't care.