Apple loves the kids

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
im a parent myself and i am shocked to think that this girls parents would expect a billion dollar company to responed in a personal letter. Some parents just are so stupid and now the girl is hurt by it. FYI, next time try explaining to your kids what may happen just in case.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
im a parent myself and i am shocked to think that this girls parents would expect a billion dollar company to responed in a personal letter. Some parents just are so stupid and now the girl is hurt by it. FYI, next time try explaining to your kids what may happen just in case.
This made me laugh out loud. Totally agree with you here.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I think its what the response entailed that has the mom quite put out. Maybe she did expect a nice warm and fuzzy letter from Apple; but that isn't what her daughter got.

Personally, I don't see where mom was in the wrong. Children write to companies all the time; they just don't get the kind if response this child got.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
First off, schools do these kind of projects with kids all the time. Yes the parents should have warned the child that it was likely the letter would not be responded to. But hey, way to show how your company is waaay friendlier and "less corporate" than Microsoft, Apple. Maybe they can incorporate this into their next "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC commercial." It could go something like this:

"Hi I'm a Mac and I freaking HATE kids who use my company's products and have useful suggestions about them."

"..." (PC guy just stares at him and edges nervously off camera)

Nice one.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Still buying an iMac, though. All corporations are assholes. Wish I owned one (a corporation) so I could be one too! :)

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Sounds like a cookie-cutter response that anyone would get if they wrote a letter of this sort. Just because she's young doesn't make her any different. As stated, they do not take unsolicited ideas.

Oct 9, 2007
I feel the letter could have been nicer definitely. However, let's analyze how many people make suggestions daily. It becomes bothersome. I design websites and many times I receive so many suggestions on one specific project that I end up telling people off. Just imagine, one of my recent websites is a hotel in Las Vegas with over 50 departments and over 300 pages. If I had to listen to every suggestion I would never finish the job. Comes a time when you just tell people to get off your back.

The letter by Apple was definitely uncalled for, nevertheless!

Never idealize a company like the woman did. Apple is educational? Sure. They just don't know how to write letters.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I feel the letter could have been nicer definitely. However, let's analyze how many people make suggestions daily. It becomes bothersome. I design websites and many times I receive so many suggestions on one specific project that I end up telling people off. Just imagine, one of my recent websites is a hotel in Las Vegas with over 50 departments and over 300 pages. If I had to listen to every suggestion I would never finish the job. Comes a time when you just tell people to get off your back.

The letter by Apple was definitely uncalled for, nevertheless!

Never idealize a company like the woman did. Apple is educational? Sure. They just don't know how to write letters.
Let's go out on a limb, and say this girl typed out this letter, and didn't state her age. For all we know, Apple could have thought this letter came from someone older. Yes, perhaps the letter could be nicer from Apple, but people need to have a realistic expectation instead of having their heads up their... well you know.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, Apple's stock may be through the roof right now, but in the past four or five months they've gotten more bad press than most companies could handle! I'd hate to be on their PR team - talk about having to work 24/7...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
are you serious?...

this "news story" pisses me off so much..
first of all, this is a corporation, not a letter to grandma. do you really expect Apple to hand write an explanation to this 9 yr old explaining the legal process behind this?! seriously.. what the little girl got was a standardized letter to what she sent.

and would she rather Apple steal her idea, make millions off of it, and the her not see ONE DIME? yeah that would be something to cry about.

and just an fyi little girl, i thought of that crap when i got my first gen iPod. YOU STOLE THAT IDEA FROM ME!

it's all whatever though. you can say that a corporation is "mean" because it doesn't nicely put this girl down.

and actually the only thing that really made me mad was that this was on television as a newstory at all. and also how the "adults" acted..

RAWR~

Oct 9, 2007
Wow, Apple's stock may be through the roof right now, but in the past four or five months they've gotten more bad press than most companies could handle! I'd hate to be on their PR team - talk about having to work 24/7...
I agree with you. Even the strongest comapny can't benefit from so much bad publicity. The $200 discount was enough to create detractors out of otherwise loyal clients/fans. Someone is screwing up out there and it may be the Jobster himself!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
If you listen to the story to the end it mentions that Apple is making changes for this sort of thing and their policy will change. Apple even called and apologized to the little girl...

Nothing wrong with the child writing these letters. Shame on you that don't think so. She certainly shouldn't have expected too much but there is nothing wrong with letters.

I wrote President Carter when I was a kid and it took forever but i got some mail back from the White House. Pretty cool...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you listen to the story to the end it mentions that Apple is making changes for this sort of thing and their policy will change. Apple even called and apologized to the little girl...

Nothing wrong with the child writing these letters. Shame on you that don't think so. She certainly shouldn't have expected too much but there is nothing wrong with letters.

I wrote President Carter when I was a kid and it took forever but i got some mail back from the White House. Pretty cool...
Nothing wrong with her writing, I think it's funny that they didn't expect a letter like this. Would you expect a letter from Steve Jobs, if you had an idea to make the phone better? The only reason this is "news" is because the girl was 9 (I think). And again, in my prior post, perhaps Apple didn't know the letter came from a little girl. Even so, should she have gotten a letter saying:

"Dear Little Girl of 9 Years of Age,

I thank you so much for your letter to me, Steve Jobs. I didn't realize that the Nano didn't have a sing along version for your Disney tracks. I am glad you brought that to my attention. Here is $100 credit for your next Apple purchase. I applaud you, Little Girl of 9 Years of Age, for your ability to see a feature that is so awesome and then to write me a letter about it.

God bless you, your family, and America,
Steve Jobs"

:laugh2:

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
"Dear Little Girl of 9 Years of Age,

I thank you so much for your letter to me, Steve Jobs. I didn't realize that the Nano didn't have a sing along version for your Disney tracks. I am glad you brought that to my attention. Here is $100 credit for your next Apple purchase. I applaud you, Little Girl of 9 Years of Age, for your ability to see a feature that is so awesome and then to write me a letter about it.

God bless you, your family, and America,
Steve Jobs"

:laugh2:
lmfao.
um the nano also doesn't have a the karaoke function.

she should ge a scholarship or something. the little genius.. XP

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
None of you ever had an assignment to write a letter to a company when you were in school? Really? It's usually standard fare in an economics or sociology course. Again this doesn't mean you should expect to get a nicey-nice letter back from those corporations but you all act as if the parents and the kids were idiots for this letter being written.

Customer feedback, folks. Wave of the future! (doesn't really matter how old the kid was)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
True, you can't really expect to get a personal letter back from a leading billion dollar company's CEO.

I suspect Steve never even saw the letter - it probably arrived, was read through, sent to the legal department, and they replied. I'm sure he's heard about in now, but I doubt he was ever even notified in the process. I'd bet money that it wasn't the first time a kid's written to him.