Apple loves to nickel and dime customers

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
so i finally decided to give my brother the iPod touch which came with my purchase of a macbook just before school started.

when he opened and experienced it for the first time last night and today, he asked if there are any games? this is boring.

i just learned that his device is on version 1.1.5. so i tell him to update and he says something about paying for it?! so i say no, my iPhone had a free update, why would you!?

so i search; come to my surprise. there definitely was a charge to update 2.1 firmware. what a crock of s**t.

anybody feel this way too?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
There were methods on how to update to 2.x for free, but I'm not going to say anything as I don't think that's allowed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i agree, it's BS. Completely inexcusable.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
AMEN! I helped a relative with their touch and couldn't believe you had to pay for the SW upgrade. What a crock. That is second only to the fact that if I buy a song for $0.99 I have to purchase the ringtone if I want to use the song on my iPhone. Of course Apple can kiss my a** because I get around that fact (like most of you), but it shouldn't be that way...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While the upgrade offers quite a bit more functionality I think it is a bit ridiculous to charge. No other iPods have required a fee to upgrade to the newest firmware and neither should the Touch. Imagine the day when iTunes is no longer free to use. Eek.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
While the upgrade offers quite a bit more functionality I think it is a bit ridiculous to charge. No other iPods have required a fee to upgrade to the newest firmware and neither should the Touch. Imagine the day when iTunes is no longer free to use. Eek.
Personally I'd be more worried about the App store than iTunes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple will never charge for iTunes... they want that on as many computers as possible to sell downloads. Of course, by that same logic, they should make the touch 2.0 software free, so who knows what they're thinking.

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
this is just unbelievable... i really want him to be able to enjoy 2.1 functions, mainly app store. he just loves mini games.

he tried a free upgrade but it just crashed. luckily it rebooted fine! phew.
i wish i knew how to it myself. make things easy n done with...

thanks for your input fellas!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
yes, I agree with you. I never understood or agreed. Is every update $10?

Jan 5, 2009
I did the "alternate" to get the update with no charge. Really simple, just google or checkout some forums.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
dude its not that hard, pm me for a link to download the free torrent for 2.0 update. once you have 2.0, you can update for free. it is EASY!

you are welcome in advance.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
i don't think this qualifies as a "nickel and dime" scenario. i like that they update their products and make the new features available at a minimal cost. imagine if you had to buy a whole new iPod just to get the improvements?

i'd say that they are guilty of this when it comes to iTunes ringtones...that's a rip off.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
i agree, it's BS. Completely inexcusable.
Plus one here. I thought the Touch was marketed as a sort of 'iPhone without the phone' - not without the phone, and the latest OS / apps / cool features.

Plus, is this the second time Touch users have had to fork out for an update? Didn't they also get stiffed for 1.1.4? (or are you entitled to next one free if you pay for one?)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't think this qualifies as a "nickel and dime" scenario. i like that they update their products and make the new features available at a minimal cost. imagine if you had to buy a whole new iPod just to get the improvements?

i'd say that they are guilty of this when it comes to iTunes ringtones...that's a rip off.
the problem i have with it is that they were developing these features for the iPhone anyway... which they have provided to those owners at no cost. What's the difference between iPhones and ipod touches that would justify the price for the update?

secondly, they didn't even raise the price of the following ipod models that came with the updated software. If the price was intended to cover extra expenses for developing for the ipod touch, shouldn't it be reflected in the new touch's price as well?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
One day people will realize. Apple has great products but they are not your friend. They only want your money. I personally think it is an extreme case of pettiness on Apple's part. Next they will want your first born son. Pay for Apple to put their App Store on the iPod. Greed at it's finest! Mark

Someone has to pay for Steve's Jet fuel.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
A company that wants to make a profit? Imagine...

My other opinion is at the top of the thread already.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
A company that wants to make a profit? Imagine...

My other opinion is at the top of the thread already.
Come on Phil there is a fine line between legitimate profit and greed. Why charge youngsters to update a device they have already bought from you? Especially when you are adding an option that benefits the company as far as more sales (The App Store). Also why is it fair to include the update free on some iPods but charge on others? Next time you update your iPhone why not send Apple a donation to help their bottom line since you see nothing wrong with charging for updates. Mark

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

most every other audio/video player on the market provides their updates for free. Even the much maligned Zune offered a rather nifty update here recently.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Come on Phil there is a fine line between legitimate profit and greed. Why charge youngsters to update a device they have already bought from you? Especially when you are adding an option that benefits the company as far as more sales (The App Store). Also why is it fair to include the update free on some iPods but charge on others? Next time you update your iPhone why not send Apple a donation to help their bottom line since you see nothing wrong with charging for updates. Mark
Well if you properly knew how to read the thread then you would realize that nearly 2 months ago I stated how RIDICULOUS it is for Apple to charge for iPod Touch owners to update to the new firmware. Nice reading comprehension.

The remark I made was done because you reply now (in seemingly every thread) about how Apple is out only to rip people off.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Well if you properly knew how to read the thread then you would realize that nearly 2 months ago I stated how RIDICULOUS it is for Apple to charge for iPod Touch owners to update to the new firmware. Nice reading comprehension.

The remark I made was done because you reply now (in seemingly every thread) about how Apple is out only to rip people off.
I comprehended exactly what I read above. Why would I think you contradicted yourself elsewhere just to address my comments. Maybe my problem is I need something fresh and new from Apple to get me excited again. I guess in this lull of product releases. All I can see is their faults. And charging a kid ten bucks to upgrade his/her iPod is a fault.

Phil just to make you happy. I am going to write an I love Apple thread. Look out for it soon it will be hot! LOL, Mark