Apple Maps under scrutiny. Again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Courtesy of iDB and MacRumors.

“Local Police have been called to assist distressed motorists who have become stranded within the Murray-Sunset National Park after following directions on their Apple iPhone.
Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura.
Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees, making this a potentially life threatening issue.
Some of the motorists located by police have been stranded for up to 24 hours without food or water and have walked long distances through dangerous terrain to get phone reception.”
Oh dear... another potential lawsuit for Apple.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Won't win. Is part of the disclaimer with the phone. Terms and conditions when you first activate that maps, GPS etc are not reliable means of navigating. Use at your own risk.
Just like you can't sue if you lose a businesss deal because a call drops.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
"Distressed" motorists? That's a bit overdramatic! "Distressed" should be reserved for motorists who get carjacked and beat over the head with a baseball bat.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
My favorite comment from that thread.

Yes, causing people to be stranded in the middle of nowhere 40 miles from your intended destination and making them walk miles to get rescued is EXCATLY the same as not indicating a one-way road.

I don’t know how many times I have nearly died from dehydration because I went the wrong way on a street. Thank god for the rescue helicopter pilots, I don’t know what I would have done that time I went south on Madison Ave.
And details about that one way road.
http://www.slashgear.com/australian...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashgear+(SlashGear)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2