Apple May Have Alienated a Consumer Segment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Josh Yates, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

The more I talk to people, I think that Apple may have alienated a segment of consumers. The people that love the iPhone and are techy are ok with the lightning connector and will be willing to buy the necessary cables & adapters. However, there are many people that are used to buying the $99 iPhone that are considering a move to the 5. These people couldn't care less about the speed of the phone and most don't care even about the screen size. What they care about is the need to either pitch all their cables and iHomes and by new ones or fiddle with adapter cables and adapters. All they see is the extra $$$ and they assume its going to be a TON because they don't understand how they could make it work. So they go with older tech.

I truly believe that this could've been mostly resolved if Apple would've given each 5 owner an adapter along with the cable and charger cube. To me, that makes sense the first time you change a standard. With the 6...no adapters. Honestly, I think this standard change may be a bigger deal in the long run. I know, I know...current sales don't seem to be effected, but we're all early adapters for the most part. We understand how this works. I just wonder about long-term sales. The biggest thing I hear people around me talk about is the lightning connector.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

In my opinion the lightning connecter was long over due and I don't think Apple should include an adapter in the box...

The free and $99 iPhone version still pimp the old connector so I don't see a problem.. People always have to complain about something or they are not happy.. Or so the saying goes...

I have NO issue whatsoever with the new cable (I thought I would) and after using it, I like it! Smaller, connects either way... Love it!

Following your Apple should have included an adapter line of thinking then Apple should include a screen protector to everyone since they changed the screen size.. They should also provide a new case to everyone since iPhone 4 and 4S cases will not fit the 5... I can go on and on but I think you get the point...

When my football team changed their logo, I didn't expect them to replace all my clothing / gear for free with the new logo...

My .02

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I don't take issue with the change myself (I like the change too after I thought I might not), I'm speaking as to what I hear from those around me. Eventually, the change will have to be made by all and some may say forget it.

I think the logic about replacing my screen protector jumps a few steps...and when your sports team changed their logo, it's not as if your previous clothing stopped working...but that's my opinion. :). People expect that cases/screen protectors may change...not the data connector.

I just think Apple could've REALLY bridged the gap for many people by including the adapter in the first devices with lightning.

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

As long as they were changing the connecter at all, why not just go with micro-usb like the rest of the world? Folks would have cheered and congratulated Apple for such a great move to adopt the standard port. Those that would have complained are the same folks complaining now about Lightening vs. the old dock connector, so nothing lost there. Why Apple, WHY?!?!

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I think I read that micro USB wouldn't handle all the data needs that Apples wants in their connectors. But that doesn't make sense since the other end of all cables, including lightning, is standard USB!

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I'm glad they didn't use micro USB... I hate them things and I always (9 times out of 10) try and connect it upside down...

Plus after a few beers, a simple slip-a-roo when trying to plug it in and a scratch across the screen it goes... Yes I actually did that a few years back.... LOL

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Some people, me included, purchased a 3 pack (or more) of screen protectors for the 4 or 4S and I still have 2 brand new in the box.. I will give them to a friend who has an iPhone 4S but they certainly don't work on my 5...

But I would look outdated while tailgating in the old garb! :razz:

Some cases and screen protectors cost just as much, or more, than the adapter you speak of... I guess I am just not following the logic here...

I would not complain if they tossed in an adapter but I certainly don't expect them to...

My .02

8. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I know what you are trying to say. But this change was over due. Technology changes and what was once a standard has now become obsolete. It happens all the time. People that buy the the older idevices now won't have a problem with the dock connector and by the time they upgrade to the newer idevices they should know about the different port. By next year all of this will be forgotten as the lightning connector will become the standard for all idevices. Remember when digital signal for televisions became the standard companies didn't offer people brand new compatible TVs instead they sold a box that would convert the signal. And now we don't even think about that cause we got use to the new standard. Should Apple have included an adapter? No. Would've been nice? Yes. And everyone knew about the change in port. So for those people complaining about it now is kind of silly. I'm not saying you're complaining cause I know you're not.

9. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Gee, will I need to throw away my black and white t.v. set rabbit ear antenna when I get my new state of the art flat screen LCD tv?
    Bummer:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. parmacrafter

parmacrafter Member
    Bronze

I for one am very happy they did not go to mini or micro USB. I can assure you I would not have bought a new iPhone with either of those connectors. Both styles are quite famous for breaking loose from the mainboard in the phone and not allowing you to charge anymore. I have not had that issue even once in 3 years of iPhones. I don't mind having to buy new cables and an adapter or two.

11. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

LOL! I suppose my post is a bit of a rant. I'm the resident tech guy in my circles and ALL I hear about is the lightning connector and how much people hate it. I'm sick of talking about it. :) However, I also think it would've been nice to have the adapter with the 5.

As far as the protectors are concerned...I know that the good protectors cost some $$$. I use the invisible shield HD and my wife had an iPhone 4 while I had the 4s. We both had the HD's on our phones. I purchased a HD for my 5, sold the 4 & gave the 4s to my wife. Did a warranty replacement on both phones...refreshed my wife's 4s screen and sold the extra on eBay for $15! Works out for me!

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The way I understand it, it isn't the cable that was the reason for a proprietary plug, but the plug itself going directly to accessories like docks, stereos, etc. When connected directly to a dock, lightning can send analog audio that the dock can use without converting. But when a USB cable is used, analog audio cannot be sent - only digital. In this case, the dock needs extra hardware to convert the digital audio to analog before it can amplify it. I think this is why you don't see as many docks with regular USB connections.

13. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I really LOVE the new lightning connector compared to the old cable. It's very easy to connect and its also idiot proof (works both ways). I HATE the micro USB cables because they can be a pain to plug in sometimes. As for the lightning adapters, it would have been nice to see Apple include one as a bonus. The reason they probably didn't was because some customers simply didn't require one. What would have been nice is to give customers the option of getting ONE for free. All they would have had to do is put some type of coupon (proof of purchase) so that some people can obtain an adapter so they can use their new iDevice with accessories they previously purchased. I don't have any accessories that require the adapter (I'm lucky). I can see how some people will be annoyed if they upgrade to an iPhone 5 and have to spend ~$30 on an adapter for an accessory they purchased for $50. I also think its absurd to charge $19 for a lightning cable. I bet it costs them $0.50 to make one of those!

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Change is painful. Think of all the people who had to ditch their horses for cars.

That being said, I can think of about five million people who haven't been alienated.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I would like to think that someone at Apple gave this idea serious thought, and they weighed the pros and cons (i.e. effect to their bottom line). When they ran it through their analytical software, they probably saw that including an adapter with each and every single iPhone 5 wasn't in their best financial interest. If there had been enough of a public scandal over this issue, something like an Antennagate, then I'm sure Apple would have been prepared to offer a program similar to the iPhone 4 Free Case program.

16. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Congrats. Could not have said it better. It was time for Apple to move forward. I was just thinking....before the iPhone, when I upgraded to anew phone and the charger was different I had to buy new car charger and stuff. Suck it up, it'll be better in the long run anyway. I hated that huge connector anyway. This one is much better.

17. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Right now it's a bit of a pain, but as companies begin producing products for it, this will seem trivial. A change to the charging system was overdue, they have used the 30 pin since the first iPods. Maybe it will alienate the market in the short term, but long term? No way.

For early adopters, cradles and docks are slowly coming out. Do an eBay or Amazon search for them, there's a few out there. As for me, I just preordered one of these: www.thelightningdock.com.

18. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

What I don't get is that people knew of this before hand. It's a hardware feature unlike the so called antennagate which was a defect. So if you upgrade and had accessories that you knew ahead of time would not work unless you bought an adapter how can you start crying a river about something you knew ahead of time. And if Apple would've included a free adapter they would be admitting that they made a mistake by changing the port.

19. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

How would they be admitting they made a mistake? If they had it would've been a plus but no big deal either way. It would've been nice because people use other devices & connections that aren't 30 pin & without an adapter those become obsolete for the time being.

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I feel like I've seen this thread before.

My response will be the same. Apple ahead enough customers they don't care about the one percent that won't buy it for whatever change was made. The ones that buy the 4 or 4s at discounted price still get money off them.
    Everyone has a complaint about something and yet they are still sold out. Hmmmm ......