Apple may have fired greedy retail employees...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I'd fire them too If I gave someone a Free phone then they turn around and say they paid the original price to get 100 bucks back.. The employee pretty much filed a false claim, theft by deception, how ever you want to see it.. either way pretty much dishonest. Would I have tried to do the same? Probably.. lol.. But Id still fire myself.. hah.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Would I have tried to do the same? Probably.. lol.. But Id still fire myself.. hah.
i'd consider it a christmas bonus..

i think it's wrong, but i wouldn't have passed up $100 if all my coworkers were getting it.

and just think, they probably even lost more, Apple employees get a discount..:laugh2:

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
What these employees did was certainly venal, but $100? It's really pocket change compared to the shenanigans that some people pull with their businesss expense reports--management consultants out there probably know what I'm talking about. I knew a guy who expensed around $15,000 of personal goods and services in one year on his businesss account and last time I checked, he had not been caught.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
NO they shouldn't be fired
They were promised an iPhone when the cost was $ 599
So when they receive the iPhone that only was worth $ 399
they deserve the $100 credit
They get screwed at the end any way
cause if they get iPhone worth ($399) and the Store credit $100
They still short a $ 100
Stev Job should get fired for that he screw them all

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
They still short a $ 100
yeah we all know they were promised one when it was $599 but they also got it for FREE! how in the world do they deserve an EXTRA $100?!?!

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
They still short a $ 100
Your logic doesn't make sense and wouldn't fly anywhere. What the employees were promised was an iPhone, whether it was worth $1K or $1. They were not promised $599 worth of goods.

Imagine you own a small electronics store and you give an employee a DVD player for free. The employee then turns around and takes advantage of a $100 rebate available to paying customers only and thus, in effect, takes $100 from your pocket. What are you going to do: congratulate the kid for his greed or boot his ass out the door?

And to make my example more relevant to your point: if that DVD player gets marked down $50 next week, I am not giving the employee an extra $50. He can take the DVD player or not. What the hell does he have to complain about when I didn't have to give him the DVD player in the first place? And an iPhone is a lot more valuable than any DVD player.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
If you work for me and I promise you a $599 gift
than I only give you a $399 gift
ok well i can kinda understand what you are saying now, another exampole is, if someone bought you a $599 gift for your birthday or christmas or something, and the proce dropped to $399, but they werent offering a rebate or anything like it, would you demand some extra cash from the person that gave it to you?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
This is what happens when you're too slick for your own damn good. They should have gotten fired. What they did is called stealing. Taking advantage of the $100 credit was just wrong. Funny thing though, they got FREE iPhones. That $100 just cost them. Now, IF they have to turn their phones back in, they'll have to shell the money out of their own pockets if they want the iPhone.

Bunch of dummies. What they did is kick the gift horse straight in the mouth.

Was that $100 worth it. Depending on how much the tax is in whatever states this happened in, they will pay an easy $425-450 for iPhone.... and that doesn't even include a plan.

I don't feel bad for any of them.....not at all!

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
They still short a $ 100

You have got to be kidding me. Sorry bud but when you promise a gift to someone it doesn't hold a cash value. If you ever start your own businesss remember this statement, because if it's an indicator, you may not do to well.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
They were promised a FREE iPhone.. Not monetary value of a iPhone.. Look at it this way.. I give you a free gift, then you stick me with a bill for a 100 bucks..
That and me Personally, I don't think anyone "Deserves" Anything.. It's theft anyway you look at it. the 100 Gift Cirtificate were for people who PURCHASED a iPhone at original costs. Greed always gets ya in the end...

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
wow...a 600 dollar device (at the time) for free...for working for your company...that is the nicest thing I have seen a company do for their employees, and they say hey lets try to, for lack of a better term, profit off of it. One of the most greedy things..insane

they should all be fired on the spot

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Your logic doesn't make sense and wouldn't fly anywhere. What the employees were promised was an iPhone, whether it was worth $1K or $1. They were not promised $599 worth of goods.

Imagine you own a small electronics store and you give an employee a DVD player for free. The employee then turns around and takes advantage of a $100 rebate available to paying customers only and thus, in effect, takes $100 from your pocket. What are you going to do: congratulate the kid for his greed or boot his ass out the door?

And to make my example more relevant to your point: if that DVD player gets marked down $50 next week, I am not giving the employee an extra $50. He can take the DVD player or not. What the hell does he have to complain about when I didn't have to give him the DVD player in the first place? And an iPhone is a lot more valuable than any DVD player.
I guess my question is, were they told they couldn't claim the credit? Just because the phone is given to you, doesn't automatically make you ineligible for the credit. It might be shady and morally wrong to some, but is it LEGALLY wrong? If not, and they weren't prohibited from exercising their legal right to accept a rebate credit, then Apple's in the wrong for firing them.