Apple may not restrict free iPhone apps

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This looks promising:

"In spite of fears that Apple may impose tight restrictions on third-party iPhone applications developed with its upcoming SDK, the company may loosen those restrictions for free programs, Electronista has learned..."

Read article here.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Hmmm - aren't we all sorta in this forum because of a smart idea of theirs?
I mean businesss wise. Making a product is one thing. Doing what you do with that product is another.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
This looks promising:

"In spite of fears that Apple may impose tight restrictions on third-party iPhone applications developed with its upcoming SDK, the company may loosen those restrictions for free programs, Electronista has learned..."

Read article here.
Personally, I would prefer that every native 3rd party app require an application for a seal of approval by Apple.

Take a look at where Web Apps have gone without quality control, like having over 5 versions of the same virtual pet for example. Why not put all the pets into in 1 Web App? Because 5x the impressions equals 5x the possible ad revenue from google. This logic has lead to an influx of repetition and competition between web apps that all do the same thing in the end.

Quality control will mean that the iPhone's native software library doesn't become saturated with similar viral marketing techniques as Web Apps, and lower the amount of throw-away-software you have to thumb through to find the real apps that bring something to the table.

The '84 video game crash was largely due in part to a lack of quality control and the market being flooded with more software than the demand required. This has since been alleviated by introducing closed platforms and varying degrees of quality control over licensees that work on those platforms.

I feel Apple is treading a proverbial mine field of words right now and are letting out info on a need to know basis and tweaking their model according to public outcry.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Oh man, I'mma get out of here quick.

Duck and cover!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Anyone else spotted the latest EIC gadfly? I have... Noisy little guy, huh!

S

Starry

Anyone else spotted the latest EIC gadfly? I have... Noisy little guy, huh!

What a pleasant way to put that... You did good.. Most would just call the "gadfly" out.. And then all hell would break lose and well we don't like that... yeah we do :) LMAO

You even taught me a new word today :) TY

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You mean the ones that are rip-offs but people still continue to buy them?
Are you saying that the iPod is a rip-off of a Zune? I didn't think so.

- John

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Are you saying that the iPod is a rip-off of a Zune? I didn't think so.

- John
Rip-offs as in quality. You (not you in personal - you in general ) buy a MBA but you can get a better PC for half the price. I myself am a Apple fanboy so I couldn't care less what I'm buying as long as it has that Apple logo on it.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
You mean the ones that are rip-offs but people still continue to buy them?
if people are buying their "rip-off" products they must have made a smart businesss decision somewhere...thats why we buy them

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Rip-offs as in quality. You (not you in personal - you in general ) buy a MBA but you can get a better PC for half the price. I myself am a Apple fanboy so I couldn't care less what I'm buying as long as it has that Apple logo on it.
I can't say that I'm not an Apple fanboy, but would an Apple fanboy really say 'Has Apple really ever made a smart idea'?

And, despite the fact that the Air lacks many things, it is still a Mac, which is, in my opinion, no matter how lacking in certain hardware areas, always better than a PC. By the way, I don't like the Air much.

- John