Apple Music Question, Please Help!

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Ddrumbum, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

Hello!

So I am an Apple Music subscriber and just have a few questions

1. I have stored a ton of music on my phone(synced with iTunes)all in ALAC format. My question is when I turn on Apple Music will those ALAC music files we compressed down?

2. Will all of my synced music be streamed through Apple Music iCloud or still be played direct from my phone?

3. I see a little phone icon(see picture)on the right side of the individual track, and only on the tracks that I synced through iTunes. What does this mean?

Just trying to figure this whole Apple Music thing out.

Thanks for your help!

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1443494402.364269.jpg

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. No, they will stay on your phone in the same format. However, if you enable iCloud Music Library, it will sync your library to the cloud so you can play those songs on your other mobile devices without them actually being stored on them. It doesn't move all of your songs to the cloud. Instead it will play Apple's versions of your songs on your other devices that don't have those songs synced to them. It will use data to stream them if they are not stored locally. If Apple can't match the song, it will upload yours to the cloud. Apple Music has limited functionality if you don't enable iCloud Music Library. There have been various problems associated with iCloud Music Library, such as changing the artwork or file information in iTunes on the computer, so some people have opted to avoid enabling it due to the bugs and risks. Many of these bugs have been resolved since it first launched a few months ago and it's a non-issue for most people now.

2. All of the music that you got prior to subscribing to Apple Music is stored on your phone and will be played through the phone and not streamed. You can verify that it's playing it locally by going into airplane mode and checking to make sure the music doesn't stop playing or by checking for the small phone icon you referred to. You have the option to add new Apple music to playlists without downloading them to your phone. If you do this, it will stream it from Apple and use WiFi or cellular data. These songs will not have the phone icon. The other option is to download them to your phone. You don't own these songs and they will be removed from your phone if you unsubscribe from the service.

3. The small phone icon indicates that the song is stored on the phone and won't be streamed. Two types of music will have this icon:
    1. Apple Music that you have downloaded to the device.
    2. Music that you have synced to the phone or purchased in iTunes. You can tell the difference between music you have synced or purchased and Apple music that has been downloaded by pressing the three dots to the right of each song. Apple Music has different options than songs you have synced or purchased in iTunes.

3. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!