Apple NOT ACCEPTING CASH FOR iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes .. im just wondering can a person just tell the Apple rep at the counter, im covered by "XXXXX" law" i can get this with cash.. or is there not a specific law for that... this is just horrible for those that don't want to use their plastic..... this is lame

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
yes .. im just wondering can a person just tell the Apple rep at the counter, im covered by "XXXXX" law" i can get this with cash.. or is there not a specific law for that... this is just horrible for those that don't want to use their plastic..... this is lame
Yeah man I feel you.... This may SLOW DOWN resellers but they are going to lose LEGIT customers too. I am already going to switch to T-Mobile soon. People are just gonna start buying with Apple Gift Cards or Pre Paid Credit cards. You cannot stop the devoted!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that is true... i am on the side of the cash buyers, that is how i got mine, but my question is can apply legally say this item can be bought only with card, i mean, it is the CASH that makes the card.. right?

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
yes that is true... i am on the side of the cash buyers, that is how i got mine, but my question is can apply legally say this item can be bought only with card, i mean, it is the CASH that makes the card.. right?
Okay... here is why they are pissed. People were going in and buying 5 phones at a time... and when Apple asked them to sign the "disclaimer" stating that they were not going to resell them, people used a fake name and said "I only have cash, I don't have an ID on me" , thus avoiding giving their real name. How I know that this was going down? I have no idea :p :cool:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They are just trying to protect their partner AT&T. Apple guaranteed the iPhone would be exclusive to AT&T for five years. At&t ponied up the cash for the partnership and now Apple is trying to keep up their end of the deal.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
They are just trying to protect their partner AT&T. Apple guaranteed the iPhone would be exclusive to AT&T for five years. At&t ponied up the cash for the partnership and now Apple is trying to keep up their end of the deal.
More than that, I'd be willing to bet Apple is "contractually obligated" to help AT&T maintain its lock on iPhone service.

I don't think there's anything illegal about refusing cash. Just because it's legal tender doesn't mean a seller has to take it.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah, it is illegal to not accept cash. This must be a rare case of an employee who is stupidly over stepping their boundries. I don't think Apple is stupid enough as a whole to do this.

Oh by the way. FYI. I just learned this a few weeks ago.

You know when you go into a gas station or somewhere else and try to buy a pop, and then pay with a credit card? And then the guy says sorry cant take credit card if less then 5 purchase. That is also illegal. I never knew that.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
No, it's not illegal.

Unless you find a state law that says otherwise, any businesss can take or refuse any kind of payment.

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

However, it is stupid. When they write the history of the iPhone in ten years, it will be a course in how to piss off as many people as possible... between the price drop, missing features, ringtones, bricking, you name it. Apple is throwing away a lot of good will it used to have on its side.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
Hmm

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...-accept-cash-for-iphone-limits-em-to-two-per/

And also limits iPhone purchasing to 2 per person. This is ridiculous.... Nowhere I know has EVER rejected cash... This pisses me off enough to consider returning my 4 day old MacBook Pro.
I just purchased an iPhone for my husband for our anniversary on 10-21-07 and paid cash for it. He only needed one phone so I don't know about the limit, but I drop lots of cash at my local Apple store and they never give me any grief about it. I'm just saying.

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
went to the Apple store in houston this week, they limit the 2 iPhones per person, and not only this, they have to used 2 different credit cards, meaning they will ring up one phone with one card and the second iPhone with a different credit card, "thats the rule" they said to me...

they told me i you want to buy more than 2 at the same time, they have to get your info and approval which takes 24 hours to get cleared. stupid i know

then i went to eh AT&T store and bought 2, paid one with credit card and since my other card didn't had anymore funds, they took cash for the second phone...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I just purchased an iPhone for my husband for our anniversary on 10-21-07 and paid cash for it. He only needed one phone so I don't know about the limit, but I drop lots of cash at my local Apple store and they never give me any grief about it. I'm just saying.
I'm just saying it right along with you. I buy mad stuff from the Apple store. I'd rather pay in cash as opposed to racking up yet another charge on my card. By the time I leave the store, I would say at least 70% of the time, my purchase is more than $100.

I am not understanding the logic behind this simply because its not as though the iPhone is being activated in-store. Even if a credit card was used, who says that has to be the card used when activating the phone through iTunes?

Well, if this is how its going to fly, I cant wait to see what the next set of sales numbers looks like for Apple.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This just seems absolutely ridiculous. On iDay I went to an AT&T and paid for mine in cash and I know that a lot of people behind me probably did the same. I really don't see how not accepting cash is going to resolve anything. My parents have amazing credit but we still like to pay in cash whenever possible for the convenience of it (ie, not having to wait for the bill, then sending in cash, seems kind of repetitive) and this definitely dampers that possibility for many customers.

I must be WAY out of touch here..maybe it's just old age?!?

But, what's the big deal, really?

Is anyone here planning to go to the Apple store in the near future and buy a dozen more iPhones with cash?

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don't often carry large amounts of cash with me. I seldom carry cash at all.

I use the debit card. No fees, no extra costs, no problemo.