Apple officially allows creation of ringtones using your music!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
the caveat - you must use the latest version of garageband.

but, this now allows you to make ringtones out of your own music (any mp3 file you already have) and transfer them automatically to iTunes to load onto your iPhone.

apparently, it still reserves the conversion of aac files purchased from iTunes for iTunes itself (still requiring an additional $.99 to buy one).

ilounge wrote up a tutorial already. i don't have garageband '08, but this actually tempts me to buy it...

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
This is very good news - at least it looks like the custom-ringtones-in-1.1.2 thing was deliberate and it'll stay when 1.1.3 is released

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
anyone have any trouble installing Garageband 4.1.1? I've had iLife 08 sitting here for awhile and this spurred me to go ahead and install it. Once i did, it said there wa an upgrade for GarageBand for this iPhone ringtone feature (to 4.1.1) so i got that and the QT 7.3. But every time i try to open GB, I get the progress bar "initializing" and it just runs and runs ad nasueum and nothing ever happens. Have to Force Quit to get outt of it.

I read on some other forums that this seems to have been a problemo for awhile but no one seems to ahve an answer. Wonder if any of ya'll could be of any help. I'm dead in waer cause GB won't even start. I've had iLife before but never used GB at all.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
OK, I've tried this with no success yet. I could not get GB working on my G5 PPC so I installed the iLife package on my intel Mini and it did finally work there. I went through the tutorial and created a ringtone fine, but that computer is not the one i use to sync my phone with. So I moved the created ringtone from that iTunes to the iTunes on the G5 and it appeared fine but it did not say it ws a "ringtone" and when i hooked up the phone for syncing, the ringtone does not appear in the list to be synced. It says it is an "AAC audio file" in both iTunes

Any ideas on what I may have screwed up?

Thanks

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I kept "playing" and finally got it working but not sure what I did -- always happens that way. It still did not work on the intel but it did work fine on the G5 iMac. I made 2 ringtones very easily. Cool.

Now is there any way to share these? I could not seem to move these from iTunes to the desktop and could not find where they were stored as files to give to a friend. Is it possible? And I'm talking about in a stock phone....

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
This is really fun. You can use any little program that records your own voice or whatever to create an audio file, drop it into GB and make a ringtone of it. :) Nothing like a old kid with a new toy.........

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i gave in and bought ilife '08 over the weekend. this ringtone thing was the tipping point for me - i'd already wanted to the .mac web gallery capability and the new iweb and iphoto. haven't installed it yet, but hope to this coming weekend...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I started converting my Crank ringtone and realized there was a "Typing Musical Keyboard" in garageband... Needless to say I had some fun with that and ended up with more than my crank ringtone when all was done and said.