Apple Parts Replacement - A+

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
So recently I noticed my iPhone's charging cable was separating from the connector piece. Out of curiosity I checked the Apple Support Service Assistant website to see if it was replaceable, hopefully for free.

I entered my iPhone's serial as well as my country and selected the replacement part (Dock Connector to USB - 70mm)...also had to enter my cc information, just in case the part wasn't covered. I was instructed to return my broken cable once my replacement came in and I did so in the postmarked envelope.

Days later I received an invoice receipt showing a total cost of $-0-...
(fyi-my iPhone is still within the 1yr mfgr warranty, not sure if it matters)

Thanks Apple! :)

Attachments

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Good to know I didn't think they would be replaceable for free I thought you would just have to buy a new one.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was pleasantly surprised too...I wasn't worried if they did charge me since the cord is only $19 as a replacement.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
OMG thanks so much!. My dock connector cable has separated in exactly the same way as your has, but only on the USB end.

Im gona get it replaced...hopefully for free. Ill keep you guys posted (don't mean to hijack).

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
You're fine...I figured this could be more of an EDU thread. I didn't know so I'm sure a lot of others don't. :)

I do need to reiterate though, my iPhone is still within the 1 yr mfgr warranty.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I've had mine replaced too- you can also do it at an Apple store- just make an appt at the genius bar and they will replace it for free. Apple does have great customer service :eek:k:eek:k

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
You're fine...I figured this could be more of an EDU thread. I didn't know so I'm sure a lot of others don't. :)

I do need to reiterate though, my iPhone is still within the 1 yr mfgr warranty.
I have Apple care for mine. So i went to the Support site, filled out stuff and ill be getting my replacement for free in the mail. I LOVE APPLE SUPPORT.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
So recently I noticed my iPhone's charging cable was separating from the connector piece. Out of curiosity I checked the Apple Support Service Assistant website to see if it was replaceable, hopefully for free.

I entered my iPhone's serial as well as my country and selected the replacement part (Dock Connector to USB - 70mm)...also had to enter my cc information, just in case the part wasn't covered. I was instructed to return my broken cable once my replacement came in and I did so in the postmarked envelope.

Days later I received an invoice receipt showing a total cost of $-0-...
(fyi-my iPhone is still within the 1yr mfgr warranty, not sure if it matters)

Thanks Apple! :)

This is the same exact spot where my last 2 cords have separated. The first one happened the day after I received my phone so I exchanged it at the Apple store. This morning I noticed it's happening again on my replacement cord so I filled out the service request form online on Apple's website.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
There's another thread on this very same subject buried somewhere deep within EiC. A number of members reported this had happened to their cable as well. I rode down to the Apple Store and had mine exchanged a couple months ago. Although it was the cable from my 3G phone and the warranty had expired on 7/11/09 they replaced it without question.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Apple support really is fantastic. The hinge on my MacBook Air that's 18 months old and well out of warranty cracked about 2 weeks ago. I went to Apple expecting them to charge me. They sent the MBA off and 2 days later I got it back. They replaced the entire outer body, the keyboard,the trackpad and button, the bezel around the screen, inside body, the microphone, the camera, and a few other random cables. Total cost: $0. They covered absolutely everything and now my laptop looks brand new again.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I received my no charge replacement usb cord today. It was sent FedEx Overnight...apple has excellent cs!