Apple Patents and iPhone

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I have a question. I notice that Apple get patents for different things, and I am wondering how long do you think it is between getting a patent and actually selling a device with something from that patent? Do you see what I am saying. For instance, the solar power screen patents; do you think Apple already has that ready to go, and they are just patenting it now, or are they in the early stages of trials, and are just getting a patent for what they might do 1-5 years from now?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure about the length of turn around time that is needed. Since filing the patent and it becoming a patent can take a VERY long time, I'm not sure what the time frame is for an actual product.

The solar power thing I saw on engadget is totally unfeasible. Currently solar power is extremely inefficient in capturing power and for the size of the iPhone it wouldn't be enough to do anything. I bet if you lay it out in the sun for 3 hours you may get 5 minutes of use, and that's a long shot. Most of the time the phone should be in your pocket or holstered somewhere. Apple patents a lot of ideas that never go anywhere and I'm willing to bet this is one of them. Now if they made a crank witha generator that would be usable power, but the size of it would be ridiculous. LOL

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

But my main point is you know how Apple likes to be all secretive about releasing their products, I was just wondering if they would wait to the last second to get a patent so people wouldn't know whats coming or what they are working on.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for the reply.

But my main point is you know how Apple likes to be all secretive about releasing their products, I was just wondering if they would wait to the last second to get a patent so people wouldn't know whats coming or what they are working on.
I wouldn't think so. The patent process is not a fast process so if they waited to the last minute to apply for the patent it may be months (if not years) before the patent office was able to confirm that the concept was not already submitted or no part of the concept would infringe on part of another patent. Once submitted as a conceptual design then it becomes public knowledge so we could possibly know about a patent application years before they could actually produce and distribute a final product based on that design.