Apple planning cheaper nano-like iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SCMedic

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Apple plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report. Kevin Chang, a JP Morgan analyst based in Taiwan, cited people in the supply channel that he did not name and an application with the U.S Patent and Trademark office for his report dated July 8.
Apple filed a patent application document dated July 5 that refers to a multifunctional handheld device with a circular touch pad control, similar to the Nano's scroll wheel.

Personally, I'm not sure how this makes me feel as an "early adopter"...

Last edited by a moderator:

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
according to a JP Morgan report. Kevin Chang, a JP Morgan analyst based in Taiwan, cited people in the supply channel that he did not name
Rumour. Not worried at all. Believe it when I see it. When it says "According to Steve Jobs who said...." Then I will believe it.

Obviously there will be other different iPhones released at some point. Doesn't mean I willl stop likeing the one I HAVE RIGHT NOW IN MY HAND any less.

- SR

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
That wouldn't be awesome. because the screen on the nano is small.... so its only intended for ipod and phone use? ( on a 1inch screen)

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
This is the same prediction I made long ago here on EiP. This first iPhone is the high end phone. Even though people are saying they want this or that to be added for iPhone 2.0, the only logical place for Apple to go with a second phone is down market. NanoPhone will be the next hardware device. iPhone 2.0 will be all software.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I can't imagine I would want anything "cheaper" about my iPhone. I would rather add features, quality etc and not have the price drop. So when I read "cheaper version" and "based on Nano" it holds no interest for me.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well I don't think it will be what everyone is thinking.

You can quote me on this for when it is a reality, These new phones comming out will be "SLVR/ROKR" Type phones BRANDED with the Apple name. I don't believe Apple intended to sell 10 million iPHONES but rather HOLD 1 percent of the industry with any other phone they intended to put out. While I don't believe Apple would SKIMP any features off their new phones I do believe that they will not compete with iPhone.

The way I look at it is:
Music playback
Touch Screen
Photos
Nothing much more than what current ipods can do with the exception of video. I don't believe this will be included. I also don't know about safari.

I could be wrong but I could be DEADON

lilo

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is it possible to make smaller iPhone?

The interesting question is this: nano-iphone would have smaller screen. How is that possible considering that current iPhone's on-screen keyboard is pushing the limits of how small it can go. Reduce it, say, 1.5 times and nobody will be able to press fewer than two keys at a time.

Can Apple make a flip-iphone with real keyboard? This is not clear as "touching" aspect of the iPhone seems to be the corner-stone of the design.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If it's going to be a phone, it's going to be combo iPod Nano / Cellphone. It'll have contacts and all "standard" cellphone features, like SMS, voice mail (probably visual), and maybe a camera to snap of photos.

It'll be aimed at the market that doesn't want much more than what their standard cellphone gives them now... the people who don't need or want the more advanced features.

lilo

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Not for Q4

If it's going to be a phone, it's going to be combo iPod Nano / Cellphone.
That would mean that Apple had to develop entirely new interface for this phone (different from iPhone). It is unlikely that Apple would be in a position to do it this year.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just one more post about future Apple phone devices. I'm sure they'll come and they'll probably be targeted at the lower priced phone market, but they won't ever have the touchscreen interface of this phone for that price.