• Daniel Cooperman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Mansfield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So, let's face it. Eventually, the man who saved Apple in 1997, now at 53, will eventually have to leave Apple. He had a malignant tumor removed from his pancreas in 2004, and a few weeks ago at the WWDC '08 conference, he was noted to be pale, and had a narrow face, slight build, and noticeable shoulder bones through his shirt. Of course, when Jobs leaves, it'll take a new CEO that can keep Apple where it is now to prevent stockholders from killing the company.

So, based on the following list of possible contenders, who do you think would best replace Steve?

Tim Cook - Chief Operating Officer
Tony Fadell - Senior Vice President, iPod Division
Ron Johnson - Senior Vice President, Retail
Phil Schiller - Senior Vice President, Worldwide Product Marketing
Scott Forstall - Senior Vice President, iPhone Software
Jonathan Ive - Senior Vice President, Industrial Design
Peter Oppenheimer - Chief Financial Officer
Bertrand Serlet - Senior Vice President, Software Engineering
Daniel Cooperman - Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
Bob Mansfield - Senior Vice President, Mac Hardware Engineering

My primary choice would be Scott Forstall, as he seems most qualified for the job and he helped Jobs save Apple with writing OS X; then Jonny Ive, as he's the man behind the designs of Apple products we love.
- John

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i think it should be jonny ive - he has the design chops to keep them on the right path, and there's good engineering staff that will keep in line on the technical side. tony fadell is not a good guy - he's last on my list...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I agree - Ive would be great for the job - his eye for design is excellent. Only thing is, he's quite shy. When he won the 2005 Design and Art Direction award, Jobs made the acceptance speech for him, despite the fact that Ive was in the audience.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
As long as you don't say yourself, iCafe.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I also chose Forstall. Ive would also be my favorite, but as has been mentioned, from what I can gather he is just not the type who would want or even accept the role.

Forstall seems a pretty sharp guy and a pretty good presenter / communicator based on his efforts at the SDK launch event and WWDC. Nowhere near Steve of course, but none of them are going to hold a candle to that.

Sad thing is though, from a lot of what you read about Jobs and Apple, he seems damn close to irreplaceable. Real visionary sort of people are *not* often found in huge companies like these, and that element of things does not seem one that can be taught or trained or easily matched by any successor ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I also chose Forstall. Ive would also be my favorite, but as has been mentioned, from what I can gather he is just not the type who would want or even accept the role.

Forstall seems a pretty sharp guy and a pretty good presenter / communicator based on his efforts at the SDK launch event and WWDC. Nowhere near Steve of course, but none of them are going to hold a candle to that.

Sad thing is though, from a lot of what you read about Jobs and Apple, he seems damn close to irreplaceable. Real visionary sort of people are *not* often found in huge companies like these, and that element of things does not seem one that can be taught or trained or easily matched by any successor ...
Yeah, we're having a good discussion on it the IRC room. So long as Jobs sets things up right, all should be fine, but Apple won't feel the same without the guy.

- John

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
John, as I said on IRC yesterday I pretty much agree with you on Forstall. I'd go as far as to say if Jobs already has someone in mind it would be Forstall. He's young, enthusiastic, appears to be bright and kind of promotes the Apple image the way that Jobs does. And like you said, working together and then coming back to Apple with Jobs, they had forged a pretty strong relationship obviously.

H

Hayesimus

Hmmm. I dunno, whomever is behind the iPhone marketing should be a strong contender, is he the marketing guy you listed? Anyway, they created such a hype and didn't really disappoint so, they did it all the right way if you ask me.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
i think it should be jonny ive - he has the design chops to keep them on the right path, and there's good engineering staff that will keep in line on the technical side. tony fadell is not a good guy - he's last on my list...
+ I don't like his name, its sounds kinda "shady":p
-Steve Jobs is like a perfect name that kinda goes hand in hand like Mcluvin:cool:

Whoever is next in line should also be judged on whether or name is cool haha! Nah I'm kidding, I chose Jonathan Ive cause the design of Apple products is world re-known ya kno, its just impeccable;)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Also note that when Jobs had surgery, Tim Cook ran the company in his absence.

- John