Apple refuses to help FBI Crack terrorist's iPhone citing right to privacy

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by bballrob, Feb 18, 2016.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Here's the CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/us/san-bernardino-shooter-phone-apple/index.html

I'm m surprised that 24 hours later there hasn't been any discussion about this on here.

Thoughts?

Personally, I think it's interesting that Apple offered to take the phone, crack the data out of it, and turn it over to the FBI, but the FBI insists on Apple providing a program to do it. Good for Apple, I say.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think Apple is trying to avoid the slippery slope.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Funny you should say that. A fellow eiC user asked me off the record why I hadn't posted about this yet. I told him I thought it would be too political for the normally conservative staff here at eiC.

Another tech site filed this story under a special section with prerequisites for posting: "Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts."

I'm surprised (and confused) that discussion of a current event of this type is being allowed here at eiC.

Kudos to eiC for relaxing the forum rules a bit.

#3 Rafagon, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Conservative? Wrong word. Chris just understands what charged subjects politics and religion are and doesn't want to get flame wars started. Plus, how much response do you expect here?

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 2.41.06 AM.png

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, it is three o'clock in the morning.

Show me the same list in 12 hours. Betcha it doubles. :D

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's about it.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The iPhone in question is a 5c. Could a mod please move this post to the appropriate thread? :cool:

image.jpeg

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You're being a bit overly picky here, Rafagon, but I'll move it.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just a bit? I was going for "moderately." :D

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

In the old days (long before you showed up), I would occasionally tell people not to be too picky and overly critical of things on the forum lest we actually started enforcing the forum guidelines. We'd all have warnings at that rate. Of course, it was a fairly lively forum back then.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Google sides with Apple on the encryption debate. This is good because it's a slippery slope and a dangerous precedent to set.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I applaud Apple and hope they stick to their guns on this.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm all for helping law enforcement and eradicating terror, but once an exploit exists in the OS — even if it's supposed to exist solely for the use of law enforcement — it's almost impossible to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. As such, Tim Cook feels very strongly about protecting the overall integrity of Apple's encryption systems. And while I have nothing to hide, I tend to agree.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Why did Apple immediately go public with the whole thing? Why didn't they resolve the issue privately with the FBI? Did they feel they had to "crowdsource support" for their stance? Did they feel they had a better chance of getting their way if the whole nation was behind them?

Mind you, I'm behind Apple 100%. I feel their decision is the correct one. I'm just curious why the whole issue wasn't resolved "quietly."

#14 Rafagon, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Really? I totally agree with the "crowdsourcing" of support for Apple. Things are far more likely to go better when exposed to the light of day.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh. My. God. It just occurred to me. We need a #gate for this standoff between Apple and the FBI. We don't have a #gate. Has anyone seen a #gate mentioned yet? We need a #gate. Absolutely. Indubitably. Need a #gate now, or the whole thing will come to a crashing halt.

#ApplevsUSAttorney'sOfficeGate
    #BackdoorGate
    #LockediPhoneOfSyedFarookGate
    #CookSticksItToTheFBIGate
    #RightToPrivacyGate

Any other suggestions?

C'mon, people, time is of the essence.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Dude. Nobody cares about your -gate fetish.

1972 called and would like their word back.

#17 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Eh. This doesn't warrant a gate suffix. It's not a hardware problem that people need a word for quick reference for, such as the antenna/reception or bending problems.

19. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

One report I heard, and I don't know the source or reliability of it, was that Apple offered to take the de ice and get the data off of it to give to the FBI and the FBI said no and insisted on having a program written that would allow them to crack it.

That's why.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the FBI declined. They weren't interested in Apple's de-iced devices. They want to have their cake and eat it, too.